• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which states have realy easy to get non-res. carry permits?

M

McX

imported post

just curious here, which states have realy easy to get non-res. carry permits? i looked into a non-res. pennsylvania permit, but it says no restrictive states, like wisconsin, so i thought there might be others i might 'collect'. everyone welcome to comment, please toss a link or two, to speed the application process up. thanks.

jayspapa

imported post

I live in Illinois and I have a Pa. license to carry. I also know of many more people from my state that have one.

Did you contact Centre Co. ?? Sheriff Denny Nau is the man .

I recieved mine Jan 2008

I just remembered someone saying that Pa. was going to change things and you would have to appear in person to get a permit . I thought that was to start next year though.

All I had to do was send a photo copy of my F O I D card and a copy of my DL.sent those along with the form and 26 dollars and 13 days later I had the license.

ffemt1079

imported post

WI residents can apply for a PA permit. I just sent my app in last week. Being from Wisconsin makes it even easier. No copy of a current ccw or a FOID since WI doesn't issue permits. As with any permit holder in WI though, still no legal CC in public inside state lines though.

I'm also looking at FL. I stopped traveling since I got out of the service, but just in case I get to vaca somewhere, I'd like to have a permit to carry either OC or CC. With a PA and a FL it looks like it is reciprocal in most states. Even better for me is for the FL permit all I have to send in for training verification is a copy of my DD-214 (discharge papers).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some state non-res permits that are very easy to obtain, such as NH, require a resident state CC which obviously isn't an option for WI residents.

FL is easy to get with a clean record and a handgun training course. It is a favored permit for many I know in IL who face the same lack of resident state CC as WI residents. FL has recently expanded their reciprocity making it even better.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

McX wrote:
just curious here, which states have realy easy to get non-res. carry permits? i looked into a non-res. pennsylvania permit, but it says no restrictive states, like wisconsin, so i thought there might be others i might 'collect'. everyone welcome to comment, please toss a link or two, to speed the application process up. thanks.
no - you can get a PA LTCF by mail easily from Sherrif Denny Nau in Centre county, see my examiner article on this

Pace

imported post

UTAH! And its valid in so many other states!

McX wrote:

Rugerp345

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Some state non-res permits that are very easy to obtain, such as NH, require a resident state CC which obviously isn't an option for WI residents.
This isn't the case. If you have ANY CC permit you can get a NH permit. I am a NC resident, been here all my life. I have a FLA, VA, & NH non-res. To get the NH permit I just sent in a copy of my VA non res permit and the other documents they required along with the fee.

jayspapa

imported post

I went with Pa. first just to get started and it covered all the states around Illinois that I would be in. After that I went for the Utah license for two reasons.

1) It costs $65.25 and then only $10 to renew vs. Fla. costing $117

2) It covers Washington state where my daughter lives.

If you want to carry in Fla. you will have to get the Fla license though.

PavePusher

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

FL is easy to get with a clean record and a handgun training course. It is a favored permit for many I know in IL who face the same lack of resident state CC as WI residents. FL has recently expanded their reciprocity making it even better.

If you live in a state that does not issue a permit, you can get a New Hampshire permit by submitting a letter from your local police, sheriff, state police or state criminal investigation dept. saying that they have run a background check and you have no disqualifying criminal history. Check the N.H. application site:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

M

McX

imported post

sent off for the penn. permit today. going to study all of your recommendations, i realy appreciate the input. thanks everyone.

Rugerp345

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
downside to NH is they raised the cost from $20 to $100 this past year.
Yeah. I was quite disappointed to find that out. I missed it by a few days.

The FLA and NH ones are nice. The VA non res is tacky. It is basically a state police business card with your photo and personal info on the back and then they laminated it.

M

McX

imported post

well, i figure; i don't do credit cards, so instead i'll fill my wallet with non-res cards. now let's see, which one do they take here?.....................;)

or maybe a new commercial; non-res. don't leave home without it.:lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

If you live in a state that does not issue a permit, you can get a New Hampshire permit by submitting a letter from your local police, sheriff, state police or state criminal investigation dept. saying that they have run a background check and you have no disqualifying criminal history. Check the N.H. application site:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html
Thanks for the correction. I obviously either misread it last summer or misremembered.

M

McX

imported post

i've been rooting around on all the states. boy, some of these states permits are kinda pricey. i get the feeling they are doing a bit of 'revenue-ing'. they must have figured out selling permits to out of staters is a good way to fill the budget voids.