• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shooting accuracy advice question

slowfiveoh

imported post

For those of you wondering what the Army specifics are in regards to pistol qualifications and what is taught, here is FM 3-23.35:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2471581/Army-fm3-23x35-Combat-Training-with-Pistols-M9-and-M11

Becoming familiar with the techniques in this document can help.

Also, the target shown several posts above, is also a M9 range aid. Printing it off and taking it to your local range will help.

I hope some of you find this helpful.

Pace

imported post

If you are practicing for self-defense and using one eye, lining up the sites, you are doing it wrong. Find an instructor who can teach you point shooting at 10 yards, and you'll do it right.

Old Grump

imported post

Saw the target and read the post. going to throw a new term at you. It's called Bull gazing. You were not looking at your sights and you were not looking at your target you were focused hallway between your sights and the target. That chart and it is a good one is good for diagnosing shooting problems but not so much sighting problems. When you find your way to my side of the state we can work on that.

First hint is your shotgun pattern typical of bull gazing. First year and a half as a competitive shooter I couldn't get it through my thick Bohunk head what my instructor was trying to tell me. When I finally caught on my advance up the ranks was fast but I had to be hit between the eyes with my dumbness first. Second hint was time and rapid fire groups are groups, not patterns. You didn't have time to look wrong.