• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another open carry story by MrGlock

MrGlock

imported post

This happened in December of 2008.

I had just gotten dropped off to my apartment by a friend; we had gotten back from the west side area about 25 miles away and were shooting some of our firearms. It was almost 5PM, and I had told a neighbor I worked with that I would look at her car because it had a check-engine light. Not 5 minutes after I got dropped off, I had my toolbox in hand walking down my street, with my .45 still in its holster, carrying openly on the street.

Keep in mind, I live in the warzone, just north of Central avenue, and we've had a bit of police activity in the area but not on my particular street.

My neighbor lives 6 houses down, and owns a car identical to mine. I knocked on her door and I proceeded to look at her car. Maybe 10 minutes into the diagnosis, with my head under the hood of her car, I noticed a police cruiser rolled by her house very slowly, heading southbound. A small thought occurred to me, as I had carried open up the street to my neighbor's house...
Nah, probably isn't for me, I thought.
I then realized I was missing a tool necessary to remove a part. I told her I needed to go back home to get it. She said she would go with me.
So we start walking down the street.
Another cop car, this time a Sergeant's SUV, comes rolling around the corner, heading northbound. The southbound cruiser had turned around and started following the police SUV.
Aw, damnit, I thought, telling my neighbor "these guys are probably for me, don't worry about it, my paperwork is legit-" as she knew I had a CCW.
"Ok," she said, kind of smiling but I could tell she was a little unsure.

All of a sudden, a third cruiser was heading southbound on my street, and with the other two units they had boxed us in. A big (and I mean big as in fat) sergeant with a nice looking Kimber .45 and an attitude steps up to me with his gun drawn, as well as the other officers drawing their own duty pieces:

"HANDS ON YOUR HEAD, ON YOUR F*CKING KNEES!!!!"

So, needless to say, my 50 year old neighbor and myself were on our knees, hands on our heads, in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the street, with ALL OF THE NEIGHBORS ON THE STREET looking at us, staring at three police officers with their guns drawn. The sergeant was standing maybe 3 feet from me, his .45 aimed directly at my head.
And I was smiling... SMILING!!
"I don't know you, man! I don't know you!" the sergeant bellowed to me, not liking the fact I was smiling at him. I wanted to laugh so hard!
A female officer had taken my .45 out of my fobus holster, ejecting the mag and unchambering the firearm.
"Why are you carrying a gun?" the sergeant yelled at me.
"Open carry is legal in New Mexico," I replied.
"Where do you live?" the sergeant continued-
I weakly pointed with my right hand over my left shoulder to my apartment, which was maybe 100 yards away, "right over there..." I said, still smiling.
Somewhere in the process, my wallet with my CCW and DL came out, and both verified my current address. In New Mexico, if your CCW doesn't have the current address, you can be fined $500 and possibly spend a month in jail. It's very worth mailing your CCW to NMDPS with the $5 transfer fee when you move to another house or apartment, simply to save yourself from this predicament if it ever happens to you.
"Why are you carrying a gun in the warzone?" said the third officer, another male, with not quite as much attitude as his superior officer had.
"Open carry is legal in New Mexico," I stated again.
Do these guys get it? I'm legal! I said to myself.

Not to mention, it IS the warzone, why NOT carry a gun?

After more questions I don't exactly remember, and stating that NM is an open carry state at least three times, I was given my firearm back, empty of course, and basically let go. My CCW matched my DL in regards to the living address, and there was nothing they could hold me on. My neighbor and I had started walking down the street, and when I knew all of the cops were back in their cars, I reloaded my handgun, chambered a round, and put my .45 back in its holster.

God Bless New Mexico and its open carry laws :)

rev2216

imported post

Mr G.. I'm new to New mexico from Florida and I just bought my first hand gun 9mm Taurus. Are you saying that you have to have a CCL to OC? Sorry for being ignorant to this subject. Just want to know my rights

MrGlock

imported post

nope, i just thought it would help smooth things over with the cops; in reality i didn't need to show them in the first place, but i thought it was the responsible thing to do

We-the-People

imported post

#1 Jack booted thugs violated your civil rights, #2 placed your life in extreme danger, and you are happy?

YIKES!!!

#1 Civil rights violation. If OC is legal they have no RAS or PC to stop you in the first place. They can initiate a "voluntary contact" but starting out with guns drawn is NOT a voluntary contact.

#2 Extreme danger. NEVER EVER point a firearm at anything you do not intend to destroy. Since you had several weapons pointed at your head your life was in extreme danger.

I am absolutely flabberghasted by people who are "happy" when their rights and freedoms are violated in such brazen and blatantly unlawful ways because they weren't hauled off "cause they were legal".

The freakin point is that the police have NO RIGHT and NO AUTHORITY to do what they did but since you're happy about it and allowed it to happen without one bit of resistance (as in a complaint filed, not physical resistance at the scene) other Americans will have their rights violated.

Scratch NM from my short list of retirement states if this is the norm!

MrGlock

imported post

I'm not trying to make excuses for APD, but for all i know some crazed immigrant (most of who lives on my block) called the cops and said "THERES A GUY ON OUR STREET WITH A GUN!!!", i would imagine the cops had no idea what to expect. Yeah, i prolly needed to file a complaint, but in the end it would have been a lost battle because they probably would have tried to justify pulling their sidearms on someone walking in the warzone (now the 'international' zone) with a gun.

But I do see your point. In no way was i going to let porker pull the trigger and have a reason for it. I would have had a witness if anything happened anyway, since my friend was with me. They would have had to kill her too in order to get away with anything crazy like a cover-up.

Still, I appreciate your comment.

We-the-People

imported post

After reading several of your "story" posts I've concluded that you are either full of dung or the luckiest man in the state of NM if not the country. I open carry every day (another state) and have NEVER violated a firearms regulation unknowingly in this state. In tone other state and "the District"I have KNOWINGLY done so but with discretion and only after making a conscious decision to do so after weighing the risks and benefits of being armed.

Your methodology seems more like a crapshoot than an intellectual decision based upon risk management.

Continue on the path your stories depict, if they're true, and you will find yourself experiencing the due process of losing your right to keep and bear arms. That will not be good for anyone.

PLEASE, educate yourself on the laws, know them better than the police and prosecutor, and abide by them unless you find yourself in a situation (which is rare) when your safety dictates that you don't.......and you make a conscious decision based on risk rather than just going off "half cocked" and unprepared.

Good luck.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

He pointed a gun at you, detained you, threatened your life, seized your property...

For absolutely no reason.

And you think this is good?

"I would have had a witness if anything happened anyway, since my friend was with me."

You think they wouldn't kill the witness, too?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

MK

imported post

Nothing more reassuring than having a witness to describe to the news what it was like to see your brains splattered all over themselves and the sidewalk. It almost makes you wish you were shot down, doesn't it? You get to die horriblyand never walk the Earth again and others are treated to a cool story. Wow