• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Fixed Blade

Grimes

imported post

Whats the laws open carrying a fixed blade on your belt, like a bayonet?

and is it legal to do so in national parks with the new law in effect?

protector84

imported post

I find it odd that formonths now you continually ask about basic open carry laws in Arizona when it is clearly available both on the Open Carry maps located on this website as well as in the Arizona Revised Statutes page which is easy to find from Google.

If you take the time to review Title 13 (criminal code) under the "Weapons and Explosives" section you will find no mention of blades or knives except with regard to concealed carry (there is a reference about apocket knife on one's person). What is used is the term "deadly weapon" which of course is subjective and up to a court's interpretation. The only mention of restrictions on deadly weapons is where you can carry them, how you can carry them, and a section of prohibited weapons which does not mention knives or blades. Therefore, the carry laws apply equally to knives as they do to guns with the exception of the liquor establishments. If you can OC a gun legally, you can OC a knife, even a sword. The CC permit does not refer to firearms either but simply deadly weapons so it treats a knife also the same as a gun. Liquor laws have never said anything about non-firearm weapons in a liquor establishment so carrying knives has never been illegal. The general understanding is that the courts consider a knife to be a "deadly weapon" if over 4" in length and a non-deadly one if under that length. Therefore, if you carry a blade larger than 4" you must OC it according to the OC laws or conceal it if and only if you have a CCW permit.

I haven't reviewed the National Parks law yet. If it refers to firearms, then we may need to research it further but if it refers to "deadly weapons" than treat knives the same as guns. Enough said.

Grimes

imported post

I was just asking a question because I couldn't find really anything relating to knives. I mean, that's what forums are for; learning some things that are new and discussing things. :?

brokenbarrel

imported post

Grimes wrote:
I was just asking a question because I couldn't find really anything relating to knives. I mean, that's what forums are for; learning some things that are new and discussing things. :?
I know exactly what you mean,and the state of arizona has preemption over firearms but knives are just know getting full state preemption Sb 1153.Different cities have different laws go open carry or concealed carry any knife folding or fixed with a blade longer than 3inches in the city of florence and you are carrying a deadly weapon even if you have a ccw permit thats why theyre tryin to fix the laws.

Grimes

imported post

Thank you brokenbarrel. I usually carry an AKM bayonet when I go camping because it has many uses, and I wanted to know how it plays into if it was legal or not to carry it in National parks.