• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why don't they know the laws?

shadekitty

imported post

This really is not an open carry situation since this was in my own home, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I'm still baffled that local law enforcement do not know the rules on firearms in their own state.

About two years ago we had our house broken into. I discovered this after being home for a few hours and not noticing that areas on our second floor had been emptied out. As soon as I did, I grabbed our 12g shotgun from the cabinet and called the police.

We live in an area that has some drug use. The items taken from our house though were probably easily sold for drug money. Nothing with serials, or easily trackable.

When the state police arrived, I was confronted immediately by the police about my shotgun and whether or not it was "registered" in the state of PA. Really? I call them because someone broke into my house and I'm afraid that they will return and are protecting my children and my property and their concern is if my firearm is registered.

Not to mention they asked if I had homeowners insurance right after that - before investigating anything. It was like they were telling me because I had insurance, it really wasn't that important.

Since then, I am a CC license carrier and are researching further into my rights. I probably know more than most local law enforcement, which is truly sad IMHO.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Well, that's two years ago, and a lot may have changed since then. For one, you've become more knowledgeable. Should you, unfortunately, have to deal with law enforcement officers again, you now know how to respond to their seemingly stupid questions.

Of course, if they insist on asking stupid questions, you can always raise the issue with their superiors and ask why they're not better educated.

Deanimator

imported post

When cops don't bother to know the law, it's usually because they don't perceive any downside to not knowing it.

We as citizens don't have the luxury of that illusion. In Ohio, if I walk into a Chipotle carrying a gun, openly or concealed and get caught, NOBODY is going to want to hear "I didn't know it was illegal", whether I did or not.

The police don't need to "know every law". They need to know every law they're ENFORCING, RIGHT NOW. If you don't and violate my rights, don't expect any more sympathy from me than I'd get from you if I carried into Chipotle. You can put me in jail. I can't do that do you, but I can measurably affect your family's standard of living. And have no doubt, I will.

robert369

imported post

I am sorry you had this experience. Know that the insurance question is required for the police report. It is asked for a variety of reasons...none of which suggest that they feel your complaint was unjustified.

As for the question regarding registration of the shotgun, obviously the officer is in need of some education. Know though, that police will often ask a lot of questions. Even if the question appears stupid or not in line with what has happened, one of the least appreciated aspects of our job is to get people talking. Oftentimes, once they start...they keep going. Now, usually this is a tactic used when a person is suspected of a criminal act and not a victim. It is possible that the officer has dealt with false insurance claims in your area and was just prying. Again, I am sorry you had this experience. Hopefully the person is caught. If you don't already have a dog, please consider getting one. I have never...repeat never..taken a burglary call from a house with a dog.

iownagn-gs

imported post

Good advice, aside from having my firearm at ready, tap on the front door, ring the door bell, and my little Malteese goes balistic!:D

CenterTree

imported post

shadekitty wrote:
When the state police arrived, I was confronted immediately by the police about my shotgun and whether or not it was "registered" in the state of PA. Really? I call them because someone broke into my house and I'm afraid that they will return and are protecting my children and my property and their concern is if my firearm is registered.

I probably know more than most local law enforcement, which is truly sad IMHO.
Hmmm, I wonder what the LEO would have done if you had said, "OMG! NO it is NOT registered!"
Well , you would have been telling the TRUTH, as PA does not HAVE gun registration..:lol: