• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You guessed it, ANOTHER story by MrGlock

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

From what you have posted on this forum, you don't know the law and you don't know enough to cover yourself. That's exactly the point of my post.

Frankly, you appear to be a Law Enforcement Officer wannabe. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a LEO - I was one and it's a good and honorable profession. However, as a "security guard" and someone that wants to display a firearm to the public, you're treading on dangerous ground when you don't understand the law. You say you have a CHL. You should go back and re-read the Concealed Carry Act of 2003 and the amendments making it the Concealed Carry Act of 2005 and use your license to carry your firearm concealed legally until you gain a better understanding of the open carry laws.

It's legal to carry openly in NM where it's not prohibited. Where you're failing is understanding where it's prohibited. That information is not all found in the Concealed Carry Act. There are other parts of the Statutes that address prohibitions, for example 30-7 NMSA.

You alluded that an officer addressed you in a Starbucks and suggested you consider a career in Law Enforcement. That's a good suggestion. The State Police are always looking for the good guys that can make the Academy. Look into it. You would probably be a fine officer and would then be well versed in the law - and how to find the law in the Criminal CodeStatutes.

However, continuing on the path you seem to be on based on what I read here is heading down the wrong road, will get you into trouble and more importantly to me, continue to present firearms carry - either openly or concealed - in a bad light to the public. You promote that you want to be in the face of the public with your firearm and are simply going about it in the wrong way.

You should know that I carry openly pretty much throughout NM and have NEVER had a single incident other than being confronted by an anti-gun manager at IHOPthat violated IHOP policy and asked an Police Officer and I to leave because we were carrying openly. That tells me that there is something wrong with how you project yourself when you carry openly.

If you have any questions or need some help, I don't have any problem helping you better understand our laws. I created a web site at www.handgunlaw.us for all the U.S. and have a concealed carry site at www.nm-ccw.com where you can find all the information you need for NM. If there's anything else I can do to help - just let me know.

Steve Aikens

MrGlock

imported post

The last thing I EVER want to be is a LEO, so stop with your long-winded responses and realize that I made a mistake. I understand you know alot about this, but just say I was wrong and leave it at that. APD is a joke, especially with the recent DWI incident. Nobody could pay me enough to be one of them, much less emulate one.

I laughed when you said it, actually.

So take the story as you will. I posted it so people could learn from it, as I have with everyone's responses to it. Sure, I need to polish up on some things and alot of what you've posted I ALREADY KNOW, I just didn't care to say anything about it. Like I said, I've been in this game 6 years now and haven't seen a minute of jail time. That speaks for itself.

Otherwise, thank you all for your responses. This has been a learning experience for me, and hopefully others.

lil_freak_66

imported post

should be noted that walmart has a corporate policy to follow federal,state and local laws concerning firearms.

i am not familiar with your state firearm laws.

if it is some place you may legally carry,they can get in a sh*t ton of trouble with corporate for not following policy,if they remove you from the building/property.