• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Lord... What am I in for?

jmk0882

imported post

You guys are being too hard on Maryland by describing it in the manner that you do. First off, it is not a state full of braindead people. In fact, only two counties in Maryland are blue (Prince Georges, and Baltimore City/County). The rest routinely vote red, and fully support gun rights. The problem is that they are outvoted because of the number of people who live in PG and Baltimore.

That being said, I would not move here either. I have been trying to get out and move to Texas for 8 years now. The gun laws here are draconian. The taxes are out of control. Property is ridiculously overpriced, and everything is over-regulated. Stay out west!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

jmk0882 wrote:
You guys are being too hard on Maryland by describing it in the manner that you do. First off, it is not a state full of braindead people. In fact, only two counties in Maryland are blue (Prince Georges, and Baltimore City/County). The rest routinely vote red, and fully support gun rights. The problem is that they are outvoted because of the number of people who live in PG and Baltimore.

That being said, I would not move here either. I have been trying to get out and move to Texas for 8 years now. The gun laws here are draconian. The taxes are out of control. Property is ridiculously overpriced, and everything is over-regulated. Stay out west!

Maryland is full of conditioned FUDDs' who are inculcated with the idea that the state is the actual font of all rights since birth. The education system, media and politicians ensure that this concept is perpetuated. Maryland is hopelessly myopic and xenophonicoverall. They generally do not know any better and are reluctant to learn or accept anything other.

I enlisted at 17... because I never wanted to become 'like that'. I came home on leave (from 'Nam) 6 years, 5 states and 23 countrieslater and I may as well have come from the moon. Not only do they not know much... they don't suspect anything either. And they will re-elect the same ideolgical heirs to the Royal Calvert's year after year after year like the mouth breathin' fools they are.

It's not by accident that I became a desert 'Zonie.

64Postcar

imported post

All right guys, here's the deal. I have a slowly progressing terminal illness, and I want my wife to be near family. It's just her and I out here, and if something were to happen to me unexpectedly, she would be stuck trying to move all this crap back east. I don't want to leave that pile of crap in her lap. In my mind, I'm doing what's best for her. Considering the time I have left, it's a sacrifice I can live with.

I'll take the advice of meeting with a lawyer to learn the limit of my disobedience when confronted by police. More than likely I'll be arrested several times as I don't like my rights violated. And, if in the course of arrest excessive force is used and I happen to die, well, hopefully my wife can win a wrongful death lawsuit. I really don't have much to lose...

DaedalEVE

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The 4A is on it's way out in MD too...

As for the 2A, the AG, MSP and Govorner O'Malley have already stated that they don't care about Heller, and they will not voluntarily abide by McDonald without being forced through a Federal lawsuit to do so.

If I were you, I would SERIOUSLY consider living in VA, WV or PA if you can. MD is an openly fascist enclave, and the brash criminality of the state and local governments (in the urban areas, at least) is mind-boggling...

After living in a "free state" like CO, you're going to think you've moved to the Soviet Union if you move to the Baltimore area of MD.

Heck, I'd venture a guess that a significant number of your firearms aren't even legal to own in MD. They still have an "assault weapons" ban in effect in MD...
On it's way out? Try gone!
Had an incident last year where an ex stirred up trouble by telling police I was suicidal. Police show up, ask if I owned firearms, and I was stupid enough to say yes... so they went in the house without permission, took 45 minutes tearing my place apart to find them (it's hard to find 3 locked up and unloaded guns put away in the basement when you have no idea where to look), then hauled my butt off to some hospital to prove my sanity, where I was promptly released after seeing a doctor.

Yeah I was fine, there was no reason for any of it to happen, other than the lies of some crazy woman causing trouble.
I never did get my guns back either. A detective in Towson send me a letter giving me a BS reason why they wouldn't give them back. So I pointed out his errors, and got legal council... then I get another letter giving a different reason why (also BS).
Eventually I just had to give up because what was taken was only worth $3000, and it would have cost at least that much just to pay a retainer for the lawyer.

I since replaced two of the three.
Lesson learned that day? You have no rights here. NONE!
I was approached on my porch at gun point, had to tell the cops I had a phone in my hand to keep from being shot, was hand cuffed, had my home searched, property seized (and kept), got a bill from the hospital for $1000 just to be taken there and send home...
There was no crime, no charges, no nothing. They just came, took me, my stuff, and that was it.
MD is pretty close to being the same as Germany in the 30's. I kid you not.

Oh as for me? From Balto. Co. suburbs, Former firefighter, never arrested, with LEO's in the family... and none of it mattered to anyone. All of a sudden, because of one woman making a phone call (form 30 miles away), I am suddenly being treated like some dangerous mentally ill nut job.

'm leaving this state as soon as I can afford to do so.

AbNo

imported post

64Postcar wrote:
We're moving back to MD (likely eastern Balto Co.) from CO (open carry) after being gone 15 years. I can't believe what I'm reading here! When did the Brownshirts take over?

I'm seriously considering shipping my guns back via Fed Ex so I don't have anything in my truck or trailer. Sounds like I'm going to be pulled over repeatedly in MD for running CO plates. Sure is going to be tough keeping my mouth shut while my rights are being violated.
Yeah, forget that. I lived there for four months. Never again. Never ever again.

If you do go, can I buy all your MD illegal firearms? :D

Alternatively, you can store them at my house. Just leave ammo for them for periodic "function checks". :p

Edit: Hmm, I just saw your last post in this thread. :uhoh:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Maryland will be shall-issue by order of the United States Court of Appeals of the 4th Circuit by the end of 2011. This I'm quite certain of because I'm sure quite a few gun rights legal firms are sharpening their knives post-McDonald day to take on these anti-gun states.

Maryland is not as bad off legally as New Jersey or DC. First, there is an assault "pistol" ban which really doesn't effect much in the way of modern firearms. They do have a "handgun safety roster", but it's largely been made ineffective. You can own Class 3 weapons in Maryland (subject to a state registration renewal, and this is actually shall-issue under Maryland law). It's not Virginia, but it's not Jersey or New York either.

riverrat10k

imported post

64postcar, best wishes to you and yours. Decisions like this are the toughest we make in life.

I miss fishing in Loch Raven. I do not miss the gestapo called the Maryland Highway Patrol.

I still go kayaking on the upper Yough (upstream of the Penn. portion).

When there though, Iam usually in the State of Grace.

I think it is even hard to carry a decent sized knife up there anymore.

Good Luck.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why can't the OP live in NoVA and commute?

I don't care how nasty that commute is (and it's nasty), it would still be a million times better than being domiciled in MD.

MK

imported post

LOL, I have friends and family that live in Maryland and I also lived there as a child.

Its ironic that they call their state, "The Free State" and then as you cross the border you see a sign that basically says, "Buckle up, Its your Life, Its Our Law!". It kind of hints at what kind of place you are driving in to.

I moved to MD very briefly when I graduated college in 1990, I have an atmospheric science degree and was trying to get a job with the federal government because they were by far the largest employer in that field. I found the state and county taxes to be excruciatingly suffocating. We pay pennies out here in Missouri compared to arms and legs in Maryland. In the subarbs on your way home from work you will sit through traffic lights for ungodly amounts of time and many many cycles before you can move on to the next light.Hardly anyone says hi or smiles at you in grocery stores, convenient stores etc unless its in a rural setting. I am very used to open friendliness with strangers here in MO. Liquor, wine and beer is heavily controlled by the state. Their rules are crazy and incredibly intrusive. In my mom's neighborhood you weren't allowed to have a pickup truck parked visible outside your own home in your own driveway outside of normal working hours.

My friends came to visit me in MO and were amazed that you could buy beer, wine and liquor at the same place you buy gas for your car. They were like "whoa" I can't believe this place allows that, its crazy. Then I really showed them a Maryland jaw dropper and took them to a store named with a big sign out front "Liquor, Guns and Ammo" in Columbia Missouri. It was definitely worthy of a photo shot for them to take home to show others.

Rural Maryland is a beautiful place and the Cheasapeake Bay is a treasure but add everything together and that place sucks like no other, except maybe Massachusetts.

Heaven forbid you have to defend yourself with lethal force. You may just be better off taking a gunshot hoping you'll survive it than to fight back and spend your life behind bars.