• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Onther reason to carry while at home

barronburke

imported post

http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=11373

Man shot in the head after two masked men storm his home MILWAUKEE -- A 59-year-old man is dead aftertwo masked men stormed into his home and shot him in the head.

Police are calling the incident a deadly home invasion.

The shooting happened just after 8:00 p.m. in an upper unit of a duplex in the 200 block of North 30th Street.

According to Police, MFD personnel pronounced the victim dead at the scene.
This is why I carry in my home and have a gun vault box next to my bed! You better Knock or you may never get another chance! :lol:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

"Ooh, ooh. Wait a minute while I unlock my Acme burglarproof(tm) gun safe."

A gun safe from you and your kidz is a gun safe from the intruder.

All of my guns are loaded. The SA1911A1 right here is Condition One. The H&K USPc .40 bedside is Condition Two. The Luger in the safe is chambered not cocked not safe. The EBS (Evil Black Shotgun) 870 is Condition One.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Right up the street from where I live 4 gang members tried to knock down the front door of a man who has a vicodin prescription for back pain. They shot him in the shoulder as he refused to give them entrance and then fled.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The defense shows on TV and some firearm instructors say that in order to be prepared for a home invasion youmust have a "Safe" room and you should have a loaded firearm in a childproof (No such thing) locked container. Also you must make sure there is a cell phone with a fully charged battery in the safe room so the wife can call 911 (land line phones aren't reliable because the phone lines are likely disabled). When the invasion takes place you must immediately get your terrified wife and children into the safe room. Have your terrified wife call 911. Then retrieve your firearm from the "safe", that is if you happen to have the key in your pajama pocket or in panic just happen to remember the combination. Let's get real. When that intrusion happens you have about twenty seconds before you may be shot at, wounded or killed. When that slime ball breaks into your home you had better be ready to "boogie".

ffemt1079

imported post

barronburke wrote:
Man shot in the head after two masked men storm his home MILWAUKEE -- A 59-year-old man is dead aftertwo masked men stormed into his home and shot him in the head.

Police are calling the incident a deadly home invasion.

The shooting happened just after 8:00 p.m. in an upper unit of a duplex in the 200 block of North 30th Street.

According to Police, MFD personnel pronounced the victim dead at the scene.
This is why I carry in my home and have a gun vault box next to my bed! You better Knock or you may never get another chance! :lol:

A lot of LEO, FireFighters and EMTs are in a Google group that recieve emails or text messages regarding current fires, shootings, etc. The wife and I were laying in bed when I got this one last night after MFD pronounced the victim. I said exactly the same thing to her..."honey, this is exactly why i carry a firearm at home. home invasions can happen anywhere, anytime."

Just a few weeks ago I was getting ready for work and had used my remote starter to warm up my car parked on the street. 2220 hrs I get a pounding on the back door, so I retrieve my .38 within 5 steps of me and happen to look out the window. glad I looked out the window, it was a West Allis LEO. Saw the car running, the garage door open (the wife forgot to close it) and thought our home might have been getting invaded. And yes, I did have the .38 put away before I answered the door. I am glad that the LEOs by me do a good job (minus the OC problem they had). Even better is that at any given time of day or night, every day, I have a West Allis squad parked next to the house checking on speeders. And the corner I live in is mostly elderly with some LEO and FFs.

barronburke

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
"Ooh, ooh. Wait a minute while I unlock my Acme burglarproof(tm) gun safe."

A gun safe from you and your kidz is a gun safe from the intruder.

All of my guns are loaded. The SA1911A1 right here is Condition One. The H&K USPc .40 bedside is Condition Two. The Luger in the safe is chambered not cocked not safe. The EBS (Evil Black Shotgun) 870 is Condition One.

I do agree that it does take time to open about 6 seconds but that 6 seconds keeps my four children from getting it my teo youngest are 2 & 3 and no that they are offlimits but so is the fridge and they still go in there my oldest would freak if they new the kids were in there but I see where you are comming from Doug

OCglock1988

imported post

This exact situation happened(minus the headshot) to me and my girlfriend at her house in milwaukee last november.(lloyd ave. and holton street). It was basically the same event with two masked thugs kicking down the back door and robbing her place at gunpoint. I say thugs to be "PC". It scares me A LOT to think about what could of happened to us, or to her if I hadn't been there who knows what they could have done with her. Needless to say I didn't have a gun at the time but you can bet now the second i get out of my car i have my G19 in my serpa at all times! I will never be the victim again. Its time people start arming themselves and shooting back! Draft laws that preserve our rite to self defense! This bullshit needs to stop happening! The gangsters are the ones who should be scared, not good people!... I guess one good thing about the incident is that now a good date for Her and I is dinner and some lead downrange with our new handguns:D...

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Barronburke:

I say this not to be malicious but do you also have your butcher and kitchen knives locked up so your youngsters can't get to them. If you do fine, but so many that decry the danger of guns also accept that knives within reach of children is of little concern. I suppose the reason is largely due to the fact that kitchen knives are considered as necessary for day-to-day living and are socially acceptable. Something guns no longer seem to enjoy. Even those of us that promote guns for personal defense aren't immunefrom this hypocricy. Storing guns in locked containers and/or using child locks is an admission that we also see firearms as a dangerous weapon and not an inanimate object as we do kitchen knives.

The question is; Why is it considered safe to have kitchen knives easily accessable to children. The answer is education. Most children learn as soon as they walk and understand the word no, that knives are off limits.

I have 10 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. Each of them learned as soon as they were old enough to understand "no" that grandpa's guns and gun room is forbidden territory. Trespassing brings down thunder and lightning. However, they also know that to pigue their curiosity and fascination all they have to do is ask grandpa to show them to them. I am only too happy to show them. It gives me an opportunity to teach them safe gun handling and how to check a firearm to make sure it is empty and safe.

Too often we use things like lock boxes, child locks etc. as a crutch so as to avoid taking time to do the job right, teaching children about safe handling of firearms. The trade-off is we jeopardize our response time in protecting our personal safety.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I have one daughter and no suspicion that she ever disturbed the Luger that was kept unlocked and unsecured through her life in her parents home. It did not have a round chambered because I doubt hands less than an adults, her's specifically, can operate the toggle to chamber a round and cock it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I do have 2 gun vaults in the basement.....but I have no upstairs gun safe for my pistol or Home Defense Shotgun... my safe is the locks on the front door....you might walk in the house, but you also will be carried out..:D

M

McX

imported post

saw in the local paper here yesterday, criminal element has moved out into our area, 2 individuals, in puffy coats- no other description. ripping off stuff out of cars, i think the article said in excess of 30 cars now hit. time to go to my gun vault!

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Wis statute 948.55 http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=948.55does make it a misdemeanor to leave a loaded, unsecured firearm within reach of a child under 14 years of age.

That being said, my home defense gun is cocked and locked, ready to go.

My kids know to ask first. I just got a junior .22 for my 5 year old. The first thing she asked was "How do I make sure there's no bullet in it?"

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I have 2 daughters at home age 9 and 7. Both have been exposed to guns all of their lives (as well as educated :D). Both my husband and I are avid hunters and have taken the kids hunting with us since day one pretty much so they have the understanding of what happens when a gun gets fired. There is no coming back after you pull the trigger.
We do keep loaded and ready guns in the house since day one also with the understanding that if you touch one of them without our permission the wrath of GOD will be falling on them. Our society is screwed up with all the anti-gun mentality and gun locks, etc. Expose them, and educate the kids and there will be a whole lot less of the "accidental" shootings.

I apologize for the continued off topic here regarding the kids, but this is one soap-box I can't seem to get off of. :lol:

As for the original post - I agree with those that are in the mindset of carrying at home or keeping within reach your protection. You never do know what will happen, even in your haven.

opusd2

imported post

I agree that exposing children to firearms will remove not only the "scariness" from them, but also much of the "mystique" that continues to lure kids to all things new and familiar. My nieces and nephew have been exposed to my carrying ever since they were very young and don't make any effort to grab at it, heck it's just another "accessory" of mine. While I am sure the fascination still exists, they know they can ask me anything, because without me right there - no one has access to my things.

My son is only 1 1/2yrs but gets glimpses of my guns every now and then. He doesn't touch them, and I don't leave them where he can get to them. But he will be taught as I was that they are serious tools. Yet within reach and still hidden is my night time protection, no matter where I am.

At my girlfriend's apartment in Appleton, there has been a couple of late night attempts to get in by someone not invited. Since most apartment complexes are SO WELL CONSTRUCTED, I had the front door braced but was still up and around within seconds. When I'm off in my cabin, God help anyone who tries to get in...