• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun for my wife - VERY small hands

iMav

imported post

Looking for a good handgun for my wife. Hands are about the size of a 8-10 year old due to a genetic disorder...she was born without the middle bones in her fingers (two knuckles on each finger instead of three).

This would be her first handgun and would be used at the range and OC in Wisconsin (once she is trained up and comfortable with it).

I have a Ruger SR9 and it would be nice to share ammo, but that is not a deal breaker.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I just picked up a Taurus PT 138 Millenium Pro (Pink!!) for my wife from Gander Mountain - it is on clearance. She has smaller hands and this gun seems to fit her well, though it is the first real gun she has ever even held and shehas not shot it yet. This is a .380 but I think they have a 9mm version as well.

iMav

imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
I just picked up a Taurus PT 138 Millenium Pro (Pink!!) for my wife from Gander Mountain - it is on clearance. She has smaller hands and this gun seems to fit her well, though it is the first real gun she has ever even held and shehas not shot it yet. This is a .380 but I think they have a 9mm version as well.
Gander Mountain in Madison, WI? I was told that only MCSports sold handguns in Madison (by the sales guy at Dick's).

Looks like they are definitely available in the 9mm variety. However, I am having a hard time identifying a specific model number that is 9mm w/ pink handle.

EDIT:
Ok, you are likely referring to Gander Mountain in DeForest. I've never been there, but will likely be checking it out today.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Yes, the GM in Deforest. The pink version is specific to GM. The .380 is on clearance. The sales guy said it could be had in 9mm but that model is not on sale.

Where is the MCSports? I thought Madison banned handgun sales about 10 years ago.

iMav

imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
Where is the MCSports? I thought Madison banned handgun sales about 10 years ago.
They lifted the ban a while ago. They are on the west side.

Took the wife to GM today. Non of the semi-autos were at all comfortable for her. We then started looking at the revolvers. Many were uncomfortable. However, the S&W 637 revolver fit her perfectly (and a revolver is much easier for her to deal with anyways). So, we bought it.

We'll hit a range this coming weekend to break it (and my recently-purchased Ruger SR9) in.

Pace

imported post

Kahr PM9

iMav wrote:
Looking for a good handgun for my wife. Hands are about the size of a 8-10 year old due to a genetic disorder...she was born without the middle bones in her fingers (two knuckles on each finger instead of three).

This would be her first handgun and would be used at the range and OC in Wisconsin (once she is trained up and comfortable with it).

I have a Ruger SR9 and it would be nice to share ammo, but that is not a deal breaker.

iMav

imported post

It will be interesting to see how she handles the recoil on this gun. Small gun frame + relatively large rounds must equal some "kick". :)

John B

imported post

Ruger LCP .380 has really good ergonomics, and the percieved kick is softer than a .32 Tomcat.

iMav

imported post

Wife did real good at the range today. Her j-frame S&W .38 kicked more than my Ruger SR9, but she didn't seem to have a problem with it. She was also surprisingly accurate (first time ever shooting a firearm).

Satisfied with my choice of handgun for her. We will both be taking the Utah CCW class in April. Maybe someday it will be good in WI. :(