Thread: Pistol problem

Post imported post

My Greatgrandpa of 92 passed away a few years back and my family has been wondering what to do about his .22 rugar handgun (i belive it is a rugar). it is OLD with a swept back handle. i looked into it and i was told that it needs to be taken to the shiriffs office and inspected and if it was not registerd they would confiscate it as contraban. is this true or is there something elts that can be done? it should not be so hard to get a gun legal.

Post imported post

First you do not need to take the gun in unless you have reason to believe it was used in a crime.

1. Get a purchase permit (unless you have a CPL then use the RI60 form)

2. have the executor of the estate sign in the seller line. (you may need a death cert.)

3. Fill the rest out yourself.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I just went through this in Oct. when my dad passed away (Owosso). If you have the old "green card", take it with you. If not then you will need to take the gun in. They have to verify the serial number and do a records check. Only takes about 5 minutes. You will have to take them a copy of the death certificate with you. They have to turn it into the state/feds for updating records and register the pistol in your name.
    You will then print "Deceased" in the sellers part of the registration and sign your own name.
    I have a CPL so it was quick and easy, if you don't have a CPL you should be able to get the purchase permit on the spot and fill it out while they run the numbers on the gun.
    Hope this helps, sorry for your loss and good luck.

Post imported post

thanks for your help and i do miss him ill relay the info to my family storing the gun

Post imported post

are both of you crossdraws i think i read in a diffrent post that you both stated you perfered crossdrawing

Post imported post

I carry crossdraw or in a vertical shoulder holster which is much the same. It is better in the car and on the bike!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Always, for me it works best. JMO..but it has more strategic advantages. No access from behind and quicker draw if needed. But I have done this my whole life and am used to it. It's whatever works best for you.

Post imported post

I too cross draw a Glock 17, It works for some people, Others hate it. It is just another case of personal prefence, And if you want to get used to it.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    I just went through this in Oct. when my dad passed away (Owosso). If you have the old "green card", take it with you. If not then you will need to take the gun in. They have to verify the serial number and do a records check. Only takes about 5 minutes. You will have to take them a copy of the death certificate with you. They have to turn it into the state/feds for updating records and register the pistol in your name.
    You will then print "Deceased" in the sellers part of the registration and sign your own name.
    I have a CPL so it was quick and easy, if you don't have a CPL you should be able to get the purchase permit on the spot and fill it out while they run the numbers on the gun.
    Hope this helps, sorry for your loss and good luck.
    +1

Had to help of friend when his father passed away earlier this month. We were both worried about difficulties from the Sheriff dept. But they were very helpful.