• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol problem

Killer1306

imported post

My Greatgrandpa of 92 passed away a few years back and my family has been wondering what to do about his .22 rugar handgun (i belive it is a rugar). it is OLD with a swept back handle. i looked into it and i was told that it needs to be taken to the shiriffs office and inspected and if it was not registerd they would confiscate it as contraban. is this true or is there something elts that can be done? it should not be so hard to get a gun legal.

autosurgeon

imported post

First you do not need to take the gun in unless you have reason to believe it was used in a crime.

1. Get a purchase permit (unless you have a CPL then use the RI60 form)

2. have the executor of the estate sign in the seller line. (you may need a death cert.)

3. Fill the rest out yourself.

WARCHILD

imported post

I just went through this in Oct. when my dad passed away (Owosso). If you have the old "green card", take it with you. If not then you will need to take the gun in. They have to verify the serial number and do a records check. Only takes about 5 minutes. You will have to take them a copy of the death certificate with you. They have to turn it into the state/feds for updating records and register the pistol in your name.
You will then print "Deceased" in the sellers part of the registration and sign your own name.
I have a CPL so it was quick and easy, if you don't have a CPL you should be able to get the purchase permit on the spot and fill it out while they run the numbers on the gun.
Hope this helps, sorry for your loss and good luck.

Killer1306

imported post

thanks for your help and i do miss him ill relay the info to my family storing the gun

Killer1306

imported post

are both of you crossdraws i think i read in a diffrent post that you both stated you perfered crossdrawing

WARCHILD

imported post

Always, for me it works best. JMO..but it has more strategic advantages. No access from behind and quicker draw if needed. But I have done this my whole life and am used to it. It's whatever works best for you.

wally1120

imported post

I too cross draw a Glock 17, It works for some people, Others hate it. It is just another case of personal prefence, And if you want to get used to it.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I just went through this in Oct. when my dad passed away (Owosso). If you have the old "green card", take it with you. If not then you will need to take the gun in. They have to verify the serial number and do a records check. Only takes about 5 minutes. You will have to take them a copy of the death certificate with you. They have to turn it into the state/feds for updating records and register the pistol in your name.
You will then print "Deceased" in the sellers part of the registration and sign your own name.
I have a CPL so it was quick and easy, if you don't have a CPL you should be able to get the purchase permit on the spot and fill it out while they run the numbers on the gun.
Hope this helps, sorry for your loss and good luck.
+1

Had to help of friend when his father passed away earlier this month. We were both worried about difficulties from the Sheriff dept. But they were very helpful.