• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keeping the open-carry movement moving

proudamerican

imported post

Even if you're not openly carrying at the moment,go into a place of business that bans open-carry,find the manager, and say, "See my gun on my hip? [or if you're not carrying at the moment, say, "I carry openly most of the time."

Then say, "Your store forbidsopen carry. Youjust lost a direct sale, a repeat customer, and all the friends I can talk into staying out of your store." Then just leave.

If you want to escalate to the nuclear level, do what I did a few years back when a store pissed me off for some forgotton reason: I started sending them postcards, but to the corporate headquarters. Thepostcard is so that everybody from the mailroom on up can read it.

Send it to the CEO or CFO, and on it, give them three facts: first, a one-sentence statement of what they did to you; second, the current sale that you were able to deflect toa competitor, and third, the total dollar amount of sales you've cost them to date.

Example:

"You sold me a microwave that didn't work, and you refused to take a return. So I'm trying to cost you money wherever I can."

"Yesterdaymy office mate said she's coming to buy a refrigerator at your store. I talked her into going somewhere else to buy."

"This would have been a $600 sale for you. So far your dishonesty with me hascost you about $9000.00. Live long and prosper."

This technique applied to gun-banning stores might work like this:

"You refused to serve me while I was openly wearing my legal sidearm."

"This card marks the ______th person I've talked out of shopping with you."

"As of today,your anti-gun agenda has cost you $________."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First post and you are bullying folks.

I'm not sure I ought to say "Welcome to OCDO".

There are ways to tell folks off, and there are ways to tell folks off without making them hate not only you but everybody else like you. Starting off a conversation with "See this gun on my hip" may not go much further as the person you say that to may suddenly be busy dialing 9-1-1.

Presuming OC is legal where you live and do your shopping, it might be more advantageous to ask the shopkeeper what motivated them to post against carry and see if they are willing to discuss the issue. If not, then get the word out that they are not OC-friendly or even not RKBA-friendly - if that is the case - but do not keep going to them and getting up in their face about the whole thing. It does not help your situation and it certainly does not help the cause. See, they sit around at lunch and after work with folks they know, who are probably other business owners, and talk about the customers they deal with. They also do that at the Retail Merchants' Association (or whatever else they have) meetings. If you wanted to make sure every merchant in town got the word that gun owners were in the top half of the top ten worst folks to have to deal with you could not pick a better way to accomplish that.

stay safe.

skidmark

cscitney87

imported post

With a No Guns sign posted- you're not well off strolling in with your pistol and telling off the manager.

I welcome you to the Open Carry discussion forum and to the way of life. Whoever you are, age, race, wealth- please do not underestimate the impact of open carry. We are fighting fire with fire here- and when you play with fire you can get Burned.

You're approach is abrasive. Nobody takes well to being told off and talked down to. You are Not better than the manager- even though the company bans guns. You're not a better person than other people that are without pistols. You have an affirmative defense for displaying your pistol- Defense of yourself and others. Please Don't abuse it.

Again, welcome to OC-

Please, start off by telling us what firearm you carry or if you are new to the idea and need more information.

marine77

imported post

I'm with skidmark, you don't have to bully. And the store owner has the right to do

what he wants in his store. You may not like it, and may not return because of there

policies, that's your choice. Most of the time i will do the same, because of their gun

rights policies. But i also do the same to McDonald's and Outback, and Hardee's is

getting right on the line of receiving the same treatment from me. Lousy service

from places do not get my business. And a lot of the big name businesses will not

get my service, because they don't know or forgot what service is.

rodbender

imported post

"Do you see this gun on my hip?"

"BOOM" from under the counterwherea concealed double barreled12 gauge lays in wait for you.

"Yep. Guess I should dial 911 now. Third A-Hole thisyear that has tried to rob me."

The End!!!

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Of course, we're not all here as a clone army to promote open carry. We represent a broad cross-section of our society, and we bring different approaches to the issue. Some are more bold than others, and that's good, because there are a great many who are pretty bashful about the whole thing.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

proudamerican wrote:
Even if you're not openly carrying at the moment,go into a place of business that bans open-carry,find the manager, and say, "See my gun on my hip? [or if you're not carrying at the moment, say, "I carry openly most of the time."

Then say, "Your store forbidsopen carry. Youjust lost a direct sale, a repeat customer, and all the friends I can talk into staying out of your store." Then just leave.

If you want to escalate to the nuclear level, do what I did a few years back when a store pissed me off for some forgotton reason:

Please google the word "tact"....;)

There is definitely no reason to be so rude. It isn't asserting yourself, it isn't standing up for your rights, it is just plain being rude and it is not the way to win the hearts and minds of the general public. I have heard first hand comments where people were willing to give someone a hard time even if they agree with the principles the person was standing for just because the person was rude.

The stakes are high and our opposition is killing our State and Country with kindness. Check out WAVE and their tactics. They do not get hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions by acting like the proverbial bull in a China shop...:?

A confrontational style is a loosing proposition....

Statesman

imported post

I think the OP has a good point with the card stating X number of times you have told someone not to shop there, and buy at a competitors store. Mail it to the CEO. This is similar to the receipts idea, with the exception of keeping a running tally of lost customers & sales figures.

You don't have to be rude to do this. In fact, you can be polite about it. Just state the facts, and the lost number of sales. Each time you convince someone to go elsewhere, tally up your score, and send it in.

Brilliant!