• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO mis-information at CPL class

mikestilly

imported post

This is an email I sent to the MOC board. Havent received a response back maybe you guys will respond.

Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 12:18 PM
To: board
Subject: Effort with very large impact

Hello Everyone,

I have several items on the old website that I would like to relay to your IT team. I’m assessing currently what we’re going to keep and it looks like some of it I would be happy to relay to the IT people. I will be contacting them today.

That is not why I’m emailing the board. I would like to make a suggestion that I had setup on my website that I would like to see put together in a MOC project. Long ago I realized that part of the problem is when people attending training for their CPLs they receive false info about open carry. I created method for people to submit instructor information on the website together with the submitters info and what took place. It was routed via (email) to the regional coordinator that handles that specific territory as a To Do item to reach out to the trainer and try an follow up with some open carry training with that trainer.

It seems to be a common enough recurring problem to also take proactive measures. By proactive I mean pulling up lists of all the CPL instructors in the state and come up with an action plan in order to make sure they are trained on open carry. This would be a large effort but I feel that if it were done correctly would bring open carry information to the largest number of people imaginable. I feel that if the CPL instructors were fully informed even if they were anti-OC they could address it correctly and properly with the people they’re training. I do doubt that many would actually lie to their trainees rather than at least informing them about it correctly. I feel also that this would bring out much more pro OC training discussions in training classes.

PS: Also see my thread about a MOC billboard. This is something OCDO has done in the past and I bet had a large impact on incoming new members..

Please let me know your thoughts. I will continue to try and throw info out there to help MOC. I do want to support MOC the best that I can. Please let me know if there is anything I could do to help out further.

Thanks,

mikestilly

Bronson

imported post

You know what? At this point I would just be happy if the CPL instructors out there would say nothing about OC rather than give false information.

Something along the lines of "OC falls outside of the purview of this class,the goal of whichis to teach you the laws relating to CC. I can refer you to other organizationsthat specialize in researching the laws regarding OC."

Bronson

SlowDog

imported post

Bronson wrote:
You know what? At this point I would just be happy if the CPL instructors out there would say nothing about OC rather than give false information.

Something along the lines of "OC falls outside of the purview of this class,the goal of whichis to teach you the laws relating to CC. I can refer you to other organizationsthat specialize in researching the laws regarding OC."

Bronson
+1

AOF

imported post

maahes wrote:
I would recommending calling the NRA and filing a complaint to inform them they need to review his "instructor" status as he is wilfully misleading students that paid to take a NRA certified course with incorrect and non course related material.

NRA Training Department: 703-267-1430
The way I read the OP, it was the retired cop that gave out the bad info, not the NRA Instructor.

AOF

imported post

Bronson wrote:

Bronson

As an Instructor myself, this is pretty much what I do. My focus per MI state law is the focus of the CC laws. I do mention OC, but there is not enough time in the class, to cover OC in detail.

manicdevery

imported post

AOF wrote:
Bronson wrote:

Bronson

As an Instructor myself, this is pretty much what I do. My focus per MI state law is the focus of the CC laws. I do mention OC, but there is not enough time in the class, to cover OC in detail.
thank you for your feedback

Bronson

imported post

AOF wrote:

Thanks for doing it right :D, oh and welcome.

Bronson

rj3663

imported post

AOF wrote:
maahes wrote:
I would recommending calling the NRA and filing a complaint to inform them they need to review his "instructor" status as he is wilfully misleading students that paid to take a NRA certified course with incorrect and non course related material.

The way I read the OP, it was the retired cop that gave out the bad info, not the NRA Instructor.
The retired cop was the NRA instructor.

AOF

imported post

rj3663 wrote:
AOF wrote:
maahes wrote:

Oh OK, then that sucks.

Like most people I know a few cops that are great people that do a hard job for less pay than their worth. But when it comes to legal issues, I can honestly say, I have yet to meet a cop that know the law. They know how to do their job, like write tickets, traffic law, etc. But when it comes to fireams, they seem to have as much misinformation as the averagenew gun guy. But they won't admit it, they think they know everything related to firearms, thats why their dangerous.

I don't know if the NRA would do much because the misinformation is the legal portion of the class, they kinda wash their hands of that section. Plus he's a cop, and in some peoples eye's, they can do no wrong.

What would be a good solution is for another instructor to get with this guy and help bring him up to speed.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

Damn cops! :lol: BTW...I'm a firearms instructor and I teach CPL courses too. I'll bet that makes ya pretty happy.:cuss::lol:

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
As long as you are not spreading untruths then no one will care one way or the other I would imagine!
I don't even answer the OC questions. Not what I'm being paid to do.

rj3663

imported post

AOF wrote:
rj3663 wrote:
AOF wrote:
maahes wrote:

Oh OK, then that sucks.

Like most people I know a few cops that are great people that do a hard job for less pay than their worth. But when it comes to legal issues, I can honestly say, I have yet to meet a cop that know the law. They know how to do their job, like write tickets, traffic law, etc. But when it comes to fireams, they seem to have as much misinformation as the averagenew gun guy. But they won't admit it, they think they know everything related to firearms, thats why their dangerous.

I don't know if the NRA would do much because the misinformation is the legal portion of the class, they kinda wash their hands of that section. Plus he's a cop, and in some peoples eye's, they can do no wrong.

What would be a good solution is for another instructor to get with this guy and help bring him up to speed.

BTW, welcome and where are you from?