• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big River Grille in TN bans open carry

drlaw

imported post

My Email:

I am writing to inform you that after many years of enjoying the wonderful crab cakes, fantastic steaks, and great deserts I will no longer patronize Big River Grille. I will not support any business that attempts to circumvent my rights by prohibiting the carrying of firearms by licensed, lawful citizens. Attempting to prohibit your customers from exercising their freedom is an ignorant, foolish, and dangerous policy. Persons who lawfully carry firearms are the least likely to commit a crime and the most likely to prevent it. By posting you do not support gun ownership and gun rights (in East Tennessee of all places!) you are saying that you do not want business from myself, my family, or my friends. While one complaint may seem insignificant, I can assure you that I will be actively campaigning to make other like minded members of our community aware of your policy.

Sincerely disappointed,

The CEO's response:

Thank you for visiting our restaurants. We appreciate your support and I am glad your experiences have been good ones. I am the President and CEO of the company that owns and operates the Big River restaurants. I recognize your issue concerning the right to own and carry a gun. I am a member of the NRA,Ducks Unlimited,The Wild Turkey Federation, Delta Waterfowl and I am a member of the board of The Tennessee Wildlife Federation-a key sponsor and supporter of a State Constitutional Amendment securing the right to hunt and fish in Tennessee.Clearly you can see I understand and support the Second Amendment. In my position as CEO of this company I unequivocally support and endorse our decision to not allow anyone to to carry a gun into our restaurants. We have an obligation to all our guests. We strive to providesuperior service and hospitality and strive to serve fresh food and beverages to every guest every time. In addition we also have an obligation to do all inour power to make sure we oversee a safe, fun and relaxing environment for our guests and our employees. It is our view that by allowing guns in our restaurants can potentially lead to trouble and unintended consequences. I will not allow that possibility. Every gun owner or permit holder is not as responsible as you. We cannot take that risk. You say that "Persons who lawfully carry firearms are the least likely to commit a crime..." Therein lies the rub, to whit: "..the least likely.." but a possibility nonethe less. That is exactly why we must do all we can to avoid that risk. I notice you are a candidate for a law degree at {Redacted}. Good luck with your studies. I received my JD from Vanderbilt University in 1981. I Practiced law full time for years and was a partner at Miller and Martin Law Firm before becoming Of Counsel to the Firm and operating this business. I hope you will reconsider your position and visit Big River again. We value your patronage and hope you will understand our decision. Thanks for communicating with us and your prior support.
[align=left]Allen Corey[/align] [align=left]President/CEO[/align] Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

drlaw wrote:

The CEO's response:

I am a member of the NRA,Ducks Unlimited,The Wild Turkey Federation, Delta Waterfowl and I am a member of the board of The Tennessee Wildlife Federation-a key sponsor and supporter of a State Constitutional Amendment securing the right to hunt and fish in Tennessee.Clearly you can see I understand and support the Second Amendment. In my position as CEO of this company I unequivocally support and endorse our decision to not allow anyone to to carry a gun into our restaurants.

[align=left]Allen Corey[/align] [align=left]President/CEO[/align] Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group
From the mouths of CEO NRA 'members'.

Deanimator

imported post

Since I can show that not all LEOs are "responsible" with firearms, will he ban armed LEOs (in and out of uniform) from his establishments?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I wonder if Alan bans felons and other unsavory people from his restaurants? They may pose a safety threat. I wonder if he does a complete background check and drug screen of all his employees?

Did I hear NRA? I wonder if he hunts and grew up with guns?:lol:

imported post

Yea, Doug, the FIRST lame excuse he threw out was his affiliation with the NRA (negotiate rights away). That is where I ended my read.
I'm sure ole Allen would LOVE to hear from his public. 423-424-2000 X 216

Tell him Mark sent ya'

PavePusher

imported post

drlaw wrote:
My Email:

I am writing to inform you that after many years of enjoying the wonderful crab cakes, fantastic steaks, and great deserts I will no longer patronize Big River Grille. I will not support any business that attempts to circumvent my rights by prohibiting the carrying of firearms by licensed, lawful citizens.
In addition we also have an obligation to do all inour power to make sure we oversee a safe, fun and relaxing environment for our guests and our employees. It is our view that by allowing guns in our restaurants can potentially lead to trouble and unintended consequences. I will not allow that possibility. Every gun owner or permit holder is not as responsible as you. We cannot take that risk. You say that "Persons who lawfully carry firearms are the least likely to commit a crime..." Therein lies the rub, to whit: "..the least likely.." but a possibility nonethe less. That is exactly why we must do all we can to avoid that risk. I notice you are a candidate for a law degree at {Redacted}. Good luck with your studies. I received my JD from Vanderbilt University in 1981. I Practiced law full time for years and was a partner at Miller and Martin Law Firm before becoming Of Counsel to the Firm and operating this business. I hope you will reconsider your position and visit Big River again. We value your patronage and hope you will understand our decision. Thanks for communicating with us and your prior support.
[align=left]Allen Corey[/align]
[align=left]President/CEO[/align]
Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group

You need to ask him if they take responsibility for any injury or loss incurred by criminal action while on their premises. I bet he tap dances so fast his feet catch on fire.:banghead::cuss::celebrate

rodbender

imported post

As a member of the NRA, he should know that creatingGun Free Zones are the best way to get his customers shot. The NRA is always railing against Gun Free Zones. Ah, but do they really mean it?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

drlaw wrote:
The CEO's response:

I'm arrogant and like to kill things with feathers.[align=left]Allen Corey[/align] [align=left]President/CEO[/align] Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group
Dear CEO Dude:

I also have shot things with feathers, am a member of various organizations, am president of a company, have college degrees and recognize your issue of being a self-righteous prick.

What I don't understand is how my loaded sidearm in a holster on a hip of a man who shares so much in common with you, who has passed military security background checks, several criminal background checks to obtain my multiple concealed carry permits/licenses, who has completed 9 hours of POST certified advanced firearms classes in the last three years (three times the hours required for law enforcement in this state) is more dangerous to your establishment and patrons than the same firearm is sitting in an unprotected car in your parking lot where any local scumbag can break into the vehicle, steal the gun and use it to rob the mini-mart on the corner while one of your patrons stops there for roll of antacid on the way home. I guess that would be one of those unintended consequences you mentioned in your missive.

I do not understand your decision to be anything other than arrogance and possibly a knee-jerk reaction to potential liability. You have given me reason not only to not patronize your establishment on my trips through TN, but also to help me understand the mindset that led to the recent anti-patron legal activities by TN restaurant owners. I shall file this in the "yet more reasons to give my wife to NOT make TN a vacation destination". Thanks for communicating with us.

Sincerely,
Deepdiver
Some guy who travels through TN
And is not going to eat at your restaurant

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

I am a member of the NRA,Ducks Unlimited,The Wild Turkey Federation...

Why is it that everytime someone stomps on the 2nd ammendment they always have to use the NRA as a buffer?

Sort of like the bigot who uses the "Some of my best friends are black" line.

sraacke

imported post

I am a member of the NRA,Ducks Unlimited,The Wild Turkey Federation, Delta Waterfowl and I am a member of the board of The Tennessee Wildlife Federation-a key sponsor and supporter of a State Constitutional Amendment securing the right to hunt and fish in Tennessee.Clearly you can see I understand and support the Second Amendment.
Nowhere in there did I see anything which clearly shows suport of the Second Admendment. This is another example of a typical NRA sportsman who equates hunting with our RTKABA. The Second Admendment has noting to do with hunting. Sure, if someone shows up at his resturant wearing a realtree cammo coverall, carrying a over/under 12gauge duck gun and started blasting migratory fowl over by table #14 then I could understand his connection.

Tawnos

imported post

Please learn to spell, people. You're writing to college educated business owners who often view writing as an expression of your socioeconomic ability to support their business. Make no mistake, that status and ability reflects heavily in their decisions as businessmen.

Waive != wave
waive = give up, like "waive your rights"
wave = shake from side to side, as in "wave a flag"

With that said, anyone who says they support the second amendment, yet talks about hunting in the same sentence, clearly has no idea what they're talking about, or is outright lying.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I agree, except for the "college educated" and "expression of socioeconomic ability" premises.

Learn to spell and to write grammatically as an indication to your potential readers of the effortful provenance of your opinion.

For all we know, Gog the caveman thought as deeply as Einstein, unfortunately his thoughts did not come across in "Like, you know, 'ungawa' baby!"