• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do Salt Lake City LEOs harass open carry persons?

Brigham Young

imported post

I have heard that the SLC police department has a policy of detaining anyone who open carries, and charging them with something, such as disorderly conduct, gang loitering, or whatever.

Does anyone here know if this is true?

Brigham Young

imported post

An excerpt from the disorderly conduct statute:

"knowingly creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition, by any act which serves no legitimate purpose"

I can see a cop or prosecutor taking the position that carrying openly serves no legit purpose when the person could carry concealed instead.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I was stopped by Salt Lake City Police I was detained but never charged for anything. This has happened three times and never was charged for anything.

So I must say no you will not be charged for open carrying. Most veteran officers understand the law. I don't agree with the harassment and have filed IA's each time but never get me anywhere.

So enjoy carrying your firearm in Salt Lake City and just know the law it will come in handy. Most times in Salt Lake City I am never bothered and go about my business as normal.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Just open carry know the law and have a good time open carrying. Stay away from post offices federal buildings and places you know you should not go.

If you have problems remember to carry a tape recorder or use your phones voice recording software. Take down names and details of the stop.

Don't say anything then what your required to say to a LEO and it will go over very quickly if you are even stopped.

Any problems my line is always open 801-448-7574

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Brigham Young wrote:
I have heard that the SLC police department has a policy of detaining anyone who open carries, and charging them with something, such as disorderly conduct, gang loitering, or whatever.

Does anyone here know if this is true?
Nope. It's probably an urban legend started by a small group of ignorant people set on scaring people from OC. Besides, such a policy would get the department into a heap of trouble. The public backlash would also be a slap in the face for them and probably result in the forced resignation or termination of commanding officers implementing and/or trying to enforce it. This is Utah man, come on! :)

Kevin

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I have had nothing but "non-experiences" with Salt lake City officers.

The first was at a Ron Paul Presidential Candidate event. TJ and I carried openly, and shook Congressman Paul's hand, with several Salt Lake City officers watching. None of them approached us.

Since then, I have carried openly at the Salt Lake City International Airport many times, and the Airport Police (employed by Salt Lake City) have noticed me, but never approached me.

And lastly, ScottyT and I went to an ACLU showing of "Shouting Fire", in the Salt Lake City Library, where a Salt Lake City officer saw me. He too, did not approach me.

:dude:

younggun20

imported post

Personaly I have never been stopped or questioned by LEO, I was watched a little closer than normal Last time I went to the liquor store but thats the closest I have got to a LEO encounter

bmeldrum

imported post

So far i have not been stopped or questioned by an officer: "knock on wood". I went to the State fair and walked right by Metro security and got a smile & wave from Chief Burbank who was attending with his kids.