Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving across the Hoover Dam?

Post imported post

OC is legal in NV and AZ. So when driving from one state to the other across the Hoover Dam, do you need to unload and store the gun? Just thinking that the feds may have some silly anti-terrorism reg. that they apply to the dam.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The only thing I've seen is you can't be carrying any more than 1000 rounds of ammo. I don't have a cite I'm afraid, but I remember it was silly. 950 rounds of 50 BMG crosses no problem, but 1200 rounds of .22 and you're forced to go around.

Post imported post

wow thats the first i've heard of an ammo limit. that's really funny!

Post imported post

wouldn't you have to follow federal law on this one. Firearm Owners Protection Act 1986 states that the firearm must be unloaded and away from the driver.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Hoover Dam Restrictions

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

From the top of page 3:

Can I carry weapons in my vehicle across Hoover Dam?
    Yes, as long as their transport complies with state and federal standards, i.e. guns must be unloaded and in compliance with concealment laws. Also, no more than 1000 rounds of ammunition may be transported across the dam.
    Of course, my IANAL interpretation is that open carry is fine, because you're in compliance with state & federal law.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

My take is that law merely protects you from prosecution from a state where firearms are not permitted. Since OC is allowed in NV and AZ, I don't need to worry about the state law being more restrictive, and thus I do not need the protection offered by this federal law.

I think that's a strong position, since the restriction posted above specifically states not only federal, but also state "standards". If the federal law were overriding, state standards/laws would presumably be irrelevant.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Check this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...e.22_provision

I know Wiki is by no means an authority source of information, but the text there supports my assumption.

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

Post imported post

Is the dam itself in NV or AZ?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Both

Post imported post

Good pic!

State Researcher

Post imported post

This will be a moot issue once the Hoover Dam Bypass is completed later this year.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

Do NOT have a firearm loaded or within reach. I'm speaking from personal experience.

Post imported post

I personaly have OCed accross that Dam at least 25 times on My Harley, and have had security notice with barely a flinch, quick salute, and I am off.

Post imported post

irish..What experience and when please.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I live in Henderson, and my in-laws live in White Hills, AZ. (Think Rosie's Den area.)

I have OC/CC probably 50-100 times across the dam. I always answer "yes" when asked if I have firearms. I have been out of the car a few times to show them various things they wanted to see (in trailers, boats, luggage carriers, etc).

I even had a confrontation with one of the private security twits who wanted me to enumerate the exact number of rounds of ammunition I was carrying.

Once they threatened to turn me around through Laughlin, to which I replied "do what you gotta do, man."

So far, never asked to unholster, unload, disarm, etc. The dam security checkpoints are not even run by police. They are private security contracted by the bureau of reclamation.

I know the Federal employee who oversees those contracts (and contractors) well.

Bob

Post imported post

I live in Henderson and also ride a Harley...I visit all the time to Phoenix az...never had even a question ask at the check points...they always just motion me by...I OC while traveling.....:celebrate

I have also seen the 1000 round amo restriction but cant remember where i read it...:?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Hoover Dam is directly under the Dept. of Interior via the Bureau of Reclamation. Have to wonder what effect, if any, that the recent change in NPS (also part if Dept. of Interior) gun rules might have on this.
    http://www.usbr.gov/ http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

funny this was talked about while i was away in AZ...I just drove across the dam twice once on Wednesday and again today. Wednesday they pulled me to the inspection lane wanted me to open a container i had my camping stuff in. when i got out they asked me if i had any weapons in my truck. I said the only one i have is on my belt, I was OCing. He asked how many rounds i had which i stated only what i have on my person. He then said "just so you know, because your on federal property right now the gun needs to be unloaded and separated from the ammo" he said he didnt want to see me unload it and waved me on by and said have a nice day. I of course just continued on my journey as i was not stopping to get out of my truck on the Dam. Today they just waved me through again I was OCing but i doubt they could see it. So i havent had any issues at all.

Post imported post

Remmy wrote:
    funny this was talked about while i was away in AZ...I just drove across the dam twice once on Wednesday and again today. Wednesday they pulled me to the inspection lane wanted me to open a container i had my camping stuff in. when i got out they asked me if i had any weapons in my truck. I said the only one i have is on my belt, I was OCing. He asked how many rounds i had which i stated only what i have on my person. He then said "just so you know, because your on federal property right now the gun needs to be unloaded and separated from the ammo" he said he didnt want to see me unload it and waved me on by and said have a nice day. I of course just continued on my journey as i was not stopping to get out of my truck on the Dam. Today they just waved me through again I was OCing but i doubt they could see it. So i havent had any issues at all.
    Would be nice if from the comfort of your home, you would pursue this and ask under what authority such a request would be made.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I would treat a requested search like I would any other and simply ask if they are asking or if they are ordering me. I'm pretty sure the Constitution still applies on federal land. You guys ever watch those checkpoint usa video's on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLlE...eature=related there is one of many the guy made. Of course this has to do with border patrol but none the less it is a checkpoint.

Edit, This might make a good spot to do a OC meetup.

Post imported post

Wow this is strange.....I have rode back and forth over that dam for the last 2 years...
    living Phoenix and working in Vegas...i went to phx about every other week end..
    Never anything ever said and I always carried my gun, both OC and CC...

I thought that road at the inspection stations was a State hwy, not federal land...The construction going on there on the road way is being done and paid for by the states...

I will take a day and ride over there and ask one of those rent a cops...:what:

Post imported post

greengum wrote:
    I would treat a requested search like I would any other and simply ask if they are asking or if they are ordering me. I'm pretty sure the Constitution still applies on federal land. You guys ever watch those checkpoint usa video's on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLlE...eature=related there is one of many the guy made. Of course this has to do with border patrol but none the less it is a checkpoint.

Edit, This might make a good spot to do a OC meetup.
    "Federal land" is no catch all description regarding laws or rules regarding firearms.

Different federal properties have different applicable rules of conduct. Witness federal court houses, military bases and NPS lands.

Best to know what the exact circumstances are before committing to an action one might come to severely regret. Doing the wrong thing at the right location could well cause someone to lose their RKBA.

Yata hey

Edited to add: Asking a rent-a-cop or even a certified federal officer is to ask for an opinion that will be worth exactly what you paid for it. Dig in and get the actual law or link that will set the record straight.

Post imported post

Of course it would be researched before.... Figured that much was obvious.

Post imported post

greengum wrote:
    Of course it would be researched before.... Figured that much was obvious.
    I should have been more clear - my edited reply re rent-a-cops was in response to doninvegas. Not being critical of anyone at all. Just don't want to anybody penalized.

I try never to assume, but will presume from time to time.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Well i pick my battles and me going out for a specfic purpose to my land on a time schedule was not a battle i wanted to screw with, ive seen several vids on not compleing to check point stops and what not, i was out of there under a minute. instead of sitting there arguing over law to osmeone that has no clue nor the authority to push a policy change, after all they are doing a job just like myself and almost, notice i say almost, everyone else that is employed. doing what they are told to do. Im all for education however, I was on my time and wanted to be on my merry way with a quickness as i had about 3 or more hours more to drive. and was already running late because of dam traffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast