• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving across the Hoover Dam?

Brigham Young

imported post

OC is legal in NV and AZ. So when driving from one state to the other across the Hoover Dam, do you need to unload and store the gun? Just thinking that the feds may have some silly anti-terrorism reg. that they apply to the dam.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only thing I've seen is you can't be carrying any more than 1000 rounds of ammo. I don't have a cite I'm afraid, but I remember it was silly. 950 rounds of 50 BMG crosses no problem, but 1200 rounds of .22 and you're forced to go around.

vegasche1023

imported post

wouldn't you have to follow federal law on this one. Firearm Owners Protection Act 1986 states that the firearm must be unloaded and away from the driver.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hoover Dam Restrictions

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

From the top of page 3:

Can I carry weapons in my vehicle across Hoover Dam?
Yes, as long as their transport complies with state and federal standards, i.e. guns must be unloaded and in compliance with concealment laws. Also, no more than 1000 rounds of ammunition may be transported across the dam.
Of course, my IANAL interpretation is that open carry is fine, because you're in compliance with state & federal law.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My take is that law merely protects you from prosecution from a state where firearms are not permitted. Since OC is allowed in NV and AZ, I don't need to worry about the state law being more restrictive, and thus I do not need the protection offered by this federal law.

I think that's a strong position, since the restriction posted above specifically states not only federal, but also state "standards". If the federal law were overriding, state standards/laws would presumably be irrelevant.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Check this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_passage.22_provision

I know Wiki is by no means an authority source of information, but the text there supports my assumption.

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I live in Henderson, and my in-laws live in White Hills, AZ. (Think Rosie's Den area.)

I have OC/CC probably 50-100 times across the dam. I always answer "yes" when asked if I have firearms. I have been out of the car a few times to show them various things they wanted to see (in trailers, boats, luggage carriers, etc).

I even had a confrontation with one of the private security twits who wanted me to enumerate the exact number of rounds of ammunition I was carrying.

Once they threatened to turn me around through Laughlin, to which I replied "do what you gotta do, man."

So far, never asked to unholster, unload, disarm, etc. The dam security checkpoints are not even run by police. They are private security contracted by the bureau of reclamation.

I know the Federal employee who oversees those contracts (and contractors) well.

Bob

doninvegas

imported post

I live in Henderson and also ride a Harley...I visit all the time to Phoenix az...never had even a question ask at the check points...they always just motion me by...I OC while traveling.....:celebrate

I have also seen the 1000 round amo restriction but cant remember where i read it...:?

Remmy

imported post

funny this was talked about while i was away in AZ...I just drove across the dam twice once on Wednesday and again today. Wednesday they pulled me to the inspection lane wanted me to open a container i had my camping stuff in. when i got out they asked me if i had any weapons in my truck. I said the only one i have is on my belt, I was OCing. He asked how many rounds i had which i stated only what i have on my person. He then said "just so you know, because your on federal property right now the gun needs to be unloaded and separated from the ammo" he said he didnt want to see me unload it and waved me on by and said have a nice day. I of course just continued on my journey as i was not stopping to get out of my truck on the Dam. Today they just waved me through again I was OCing but i doubt they could see it. So i havent had any issues at all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Remmy wrote:
funny this was talked about while i was away in AZ...I just drove across the dam twice once on Wednesday and again today. Wednesday they pulled me to the inspection lane wanted me to open a container i had my camping stuff in. when i got out they asked me if i had any weapons in my truck. I said the only one i have is on my belt, I was OCing. He asked how many rounds i had which i stated only what i have on my person. He then said "just so you know, because your on federal property right now the gun needs to be unloaded and separated from the ammo" he said he didnt want to see me unload it and waved me on by and said have a nice day. I of course just continued on my journey as i was not stopping to get out of my truck on the Dam. Today they just waved me through again I was OCing but i doubt they could see it. So i havent had any issues at all.
Would be nice if from the comfort of your home, you would pursue this and ask under what authority such a request would be made.

Yata hey

greengum

imported post

I would treat a requested search like I would any other and simply ask if they are asking or if they are ordering me. I'm pretty sure the Constitution still applies on federal land. You guys ever watch those checkpoint usa video's on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLlEh0x2XA&feature=related there is one of many the guy made. Of course this has to do with border patrol but none the less it is a checkpoint.

Edit, This might make a good spot to do a OC meetup.