• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry an AR-15 in Utah?

Brigham Young

imported post

Utah is clearly not as OC friendly as some states, and I wonder if anyone has OCed an AR15 or seen it done, and what were the results? Panic? No reaction at all? Cops arrive at the scene? etc.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I own a AR-15 unless I had a reason to carry it someplace like to a range or maybe even to a tea party I think it would gain a lot of attention quickly.

Myself I cant speak for others probably would not open carry a AR-15 .

It is legal but not a great Idea unless you have a lot of time on your hands to explain to local LEO's why you are open carrying a AR-15. If you had to get lunch at the local Carls Junior you might not get a good reception by the customers or the staff.

Brigham Young

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I own a AR-15 unless I had a reason to carry it someplace like to a range or maybe even to a tea party I think it would gain a lot of attention quickly.

That is the idea - to break down the mental barrier about carrying guns.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Brigham Young wrote:
Utah is clearly not as OC friendly as some states, and I wonder if anyone has OCed an AR15 or seen it done, and what were the results? Panic? No reaction at all? Cops arrive at the scene? etc.
lol. Let's start out with the standard handguns and revolvers and then work our way up to AR-15 aight? ;) Depending on the situation, you will probably get all three responses in different combinations. It's legal to do it, and you probably won't get charged with anything, but you can bet your bottom dollar that somebody is going to light up their cell phone with 911 sooner or later if you are out and about.

IMO, AR-15 carry for a trip to grocery store or other common errand is overkill. However, if you live in a gang-infested area of your town or city where you see bangers hanging all over the place like porch plants, then AR-15 all the way baby! ;)

Kevin

Brigham Young

imported post

Yes, I agree that it is overkill. Then again, I doubt anyone is going to try a robbery while a guy is waiting in line with an AR-15 on a single point sling.

Example:
Single_Point_Sling_Photo%27s003%5B1%5D.jpg

jpm84092

imported post

I have never seen anyone in Utah OC an AR-15, but there was an iconic photo in the popular news media a while ago of a feller in Arizona doing just that. :D