• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eastglen Theatre in Lees Summit Missouri

opencarryeveryday

imported post

My wife and I frequently attend movies at the Eastglen (Dickinson Theatre chain) in Lee's Summit, Missouri. I open carry everyday and have been open carrying at this theatre location for over 6 months with no problems. Friday night was totally different story. I was harassed by the General Manager, Paul Mashaney, he walked up to me and my wife and asked if I was a LEO. I replied I was not...was simply excerising my right to OC for protection of myself and my family. He replied "this is a family atmosphere and I will not have that (my firearm) here". I replied that he had no signage anywhere on his establishment prohibitting the carrying of firearms. Also informed him that I was being singled out for OC while there were people who were CC in his location and they were being left alone. He said he was unfamiliar with the laws but would get the signage. He then said " I do not care what the law states, I do not like guns!"His attitude was rude and very unprofessional. I immediately went home and emailed the CEO John Hartley (Dickinson Theatres) about what took place at histheatre andasked what his corporate policy was in reference to CC and OC (following local city laws). I am awaiting a response from him in reference to this. I will keep you up to date on the correspondence I receive back from the corporate office. Funny how one pea-brain General Manager who knows nothing about gun laws or rights can just try and force their views on the general public.

cash50

imported post

Shoulda had your wife pull out a tampon and asked if he needed one...

But really, "I don't like guns.."? Wrong state to live in, go to New Jersey, or, even better, Australia.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cash50 wrote:
Shoulda had your wife pull out a tampon and asked if he needed one...

But really, "I don't like guns.."? Wrong state to live in, go to New Jersey, or, even better, Australia.
So wrong but so funny ... :lol:

Looking forward to reading corporate's response.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I thought there was signs up there, last I saw, but I could be wrong. but he is the manager and can tell you to get the hell out LOL

scalper

imported post

I also live in Lee's Summit and look forward to the corporate response you get.

I have never open carried, but have recently been considering it more seriously. I must confess I have been a bit wimpy, worrying about the kinds of reactions I might get. Obviously, many gun naive liberal types :banghead: don't know the law and freak out when they see a firearm. I am sure that those of you who do open carry, get funny looks, wide open eyes, and lots of whispers. :lol: I have also heard of the KC police dept harassing locals who open carry over there. Now, they should know better.

Have any of you had any experience with the Lee's Summit police department? What few encounters I have had with them have been positive (unlike stories I have heard about Kansas City MO PD), so I am hoping you tell me that they have traditionally been supportive of those choosing to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

Richieg150

imported post

As far a a sign at Eastglen,none posted...as far a runnins with th LSPD.....SEVERAL...search the archives

Richieg150

imported post

You could have told him you were LEO working with homeland security.Its every citizens duty to work in helping to secure our borders,and help enforce our current laws....and thats the truth.If the manager isBRAINWASHED into thinking ONLY LEO can carry a firearm,feed that sheeple...

Broondog

imported post

Richieg150 wrote:
You could have told him you were LEO working with homeland security.Its every citizens duty to work in helping to secure our borders,and help enforce our current laws....and thats the truth.If the manager isBRAINWASHED into thinking ONLY LEO can carry a firearm,feed that sheeple...
something tells me that getting charged with impersonating a police officer is not high on opencarryeveryday's list of things to do. ;)

Article1section23

imported post

Richieg150 wrote:

Richieg,

I don't know whats up with your last couple of post, but this is just over the top. Areyou trying to cause problems or trying to help? Nobody should ever attempt to say they are LE.

Years ago there was aWashington County Deputy, quit and two months later was pulled over. Tried to get out of ticket by saying he was still deputy in WC. Guess what happened to him? Charged!

cash50

imported post

That's when you tell 'em "It's ok, I'm a volunteer firefighter"...and keep walking.

I hope you guys have seen Talladega Nights.

Richieg150

imported post

Shawn,just what posts seems to be bothering you,that are way over the top?I guess I didnt make myself clear abot the LEO thing...My point was telling the guy you were working with homeland security,border control,immigration to help secure our borders,in addition to your personal and family protection,wouldnt be impersonating a LEO,I just didnt word it correctly,every US citizen can aid in our security.But he would probably accept you with a weapon in that case maybenot.Are you one of those poeple who think if you wear anything related to law enforcement you would be impersonating a LEO?I have been questioned by a local LEO for open carrying wear a Border Patrol hat.He asked me if I had a permit for my gun...ect...If I was a Border Patrol agent ect...we chatted awhile, and I went about my business.You could have been wearing a police shirt and the guy would have never even questioned you,PERCEPTION is EVERYTHING...by wearing such stuff doesnt make you impersonating a LEO,as long as you arent acting in a LEO capicity,your with in your right.I believe its a little thing called the fist amendment.A guy like that manager thinks only leo's can have weapons,so if you would have had a hat,shirt,or anything about security he PROBABLY wouldnt have even gave you a second look.Im not trying to get anybody in trouble here,sometimes I might not say it exactly right the way I'm thinking it.....I just know fron PERSONAL experience.....how people perceive things...usually within about 2seconds.I have been in a crowded place business with my sidearm on,lady comes in 2 kids in tow,looks at my weapon then looks up at me,and asks me, WHY I have a gun,sees the hat I'm wearing,which I wont say fearing the wrath of impersonation,andprocedes to tell me its ok and continues about her business.If it bothers you doing what I do,DONNT......people here are adult....I think, and need to take responsability for their own actions....Just get a CCW and keep it covered up,no biggie.

goalseter88

imported post

you should post the email of the big shot over at that theater. if we all start emailing them about that we don't like they forbidding OC and that we wont go to their theaters they might make that manager change their policies. they wont know if you really do go to there theater or not. i mean a California person could email them about it and they never know that he from cali and wont prob be going to lee summit for a movie anyways. but anyhow if you post the email i help by sending him an email too. the more emails they receive the more likely they will go in your favor. i mean even if they do have a policy against OC/CCW they might think about removing that policy.

G123

imported post

The manager was completely right! Why do you need to open carry a gun in a theater anyway? If you can't carry it concealed then you probably don't need a gun anyway. My opinion is you wanted everyone to see that you could carry a gun so your ego would be satisfied. If you were attacked I imagine you would end up shooting yourself or one of your family members by accident. Quit complaining and stop carrying a gun where everyone can see it. All you are doing is setting yourself up for failure. I can carry a gun anywhere I want, I am just smart enough to carry it concealed so I don't draw attention to myself. You probably had a firearm visible where everyone could see it and you made everyone nervous. If you want some free advice try another way to satisfy your ego before you shoot yourself in the foot!

goalseter88

imported post

lol do you even know the guy? or is this just a stereotype that everyone that wants to OC is just wanting to show off. And second even if he was wanting to show off his gun or make people nervous with it, doesn't mean he unprofessional with his gun and that he shoot himself. Even someone who has a conceal can be a crappy shot. when i went and took my course and was shooting the girl next to me had all but 2 shoots within 1inch from being outside the human silhouette and to me i don't think you should be carrying a gun if you cant even come close to the middle ofahuman silhouette when its only 7 yards out.what i getting at is that just b/c your a CCW carry fan and not a OC carry, doesn't make youany Better.your just as likely to shoot yourself in the leg. Yeah you went threw a course but any dumb ass on the street probcan shoot a human silhouette size target( from 7 yards out).

Richieg150

imported post

G123,why would you even post something that friggin stupid?Youre kind of mentality or LACK THERE OFF,is why those carrying open ...are.With your kind of attitude its a shame YOU can even carry!It just goes to show that mental stability has NOTHING to do with getting a CCW permit.You sound to me like you are probably a LEO or a LEO WANNA-BE.

Marc

imported post

Dude not everyone that OCs is trying to show anything off. I myself am perfectly qualified to get a CCW but i cant spare the hundred dollars that it costs so i will carry my gun outside my clothes. My brother has a CCW and he graduated from the Police academy he only had to pay for his permit but i would have to pay for the class and permit as would so many others. Its not about showing off its about excersising our rights to protect ourselves.

opencarryeveryday

imported post

This incident happened on 2/27/10. My first response was this....From CEO John HartleyI will have our VP of OperationsMR Craig Conley look into this. A boycott
is up to you. I am all for the NRA personally. John Hartley

I followed up 3/15/10 Advising I had never received a response about this issue and was told by John Hartley CEO ...You may pick up a refund at the theatre.

Pretty clear to me...they have no corporate policy and do not have any desire to make one or address my issue.