• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member from wi with some ?'s

jerstolp

imported post

just wanted to say hi ,

im a new member here and am kinda new to open carry, im 30 years old and have been shooting since i was about 5 and owned my own pistols and rifles since i wass 18( 21 for pistols) i live in hustler in juneau county , well ill start off by saying i dont fully understand the oc laws (i do) but some stuff just dont make sense.. like in hustler ,camp douglas,tomah all police said no problem with oc. but new lisbon,mauston said NO. and where i used to live and still visit, twin lakes(kenosha county)twin lakes pd said absolutely not you will be arrested ,and kenosha county sheriff's dept. said you cannot oc in kenosha county. i know this is B.S. but im not a rich man by any means and i cannot afford to get my gun taken(g19 in avatar) any thoughts on this or suggestions' would be greatly appriciated.

thanks jeremy

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum ! I understand where you are coming from , some of the Police in this state are real Jack booted Thugs & treat civilians like subjects, although I won't get into cops bashing here, I am in the minority. some cops just think they can ignore laws they don't like & Lawyers get expensive so I don't blame you for being afraid to OC, Amazing that people should be afraid of the Police when they want to do something that's legal.

But, the cops can't take your gun, they can stop you, they can question you, they can be idiot's to you...but they can't Arrest you , because of Disorderly Conduct, etc, etc. Buy an audio recorder at Radio Shack, carry it with you everywhere when you OC & maybe a small Video camera, make sure you don't OC in those places your not allowed, Govt Buildings & School Zones.........then the freedom hating Police can't do anything, but be themselves. Be Respectful & move slowly when confronted.

You have lot's of friends here on this forum, we won't allow the police to mistreat OCers.

AaronS

imported post

jerstolp wrote:
just wanted to say hi ,

im a new member here and am kinda new to open carry, im 30 years old and have been shooting since i was about 5 and owned my own pistols and rifles since i wass 18( 21 for pistols) i live in hustler in juneau county , well ill start off by saying i dont fully understand the oc laws (i do) but some stuff just dont make sense.. like in hustler ,camp douglas,tomah all police said no problem with oc. but new lisbon,mauston said NO. and where i used to live and still visit, twin lakes(kenosha county)twin lakes pd said absolutely not you will be arrested ,and kenosha county sheriff's dept. said you cannot oc in kenosha county. i know this is B.S. but im not a rich man by any means and i cannot afford to get my gun taken(g19 in avatar) any thoughts on this or suggestions' would be greatly appriciated.

thanks jeremy

Your problems with new Mauston is simple. Just send a letter (e-mail works well) to all of the village board members, and the heads of police asking for what ever the "carry ban" law is to be removed (Mauston is 11.211.1). The old "bad" carry law is not in line with State Statute 66.0409. This simple letter has worked for many of us to get old laws removed from the books. Also, remember that 66.0409 covers the full state, not just part of it. Lisbon, and Mauston are the same as any other place in the state as far as open carry goes. As far as I can see, Lisbon only has a concealed carry ban. I can not find any local open carry ban at all, so this should be fine. I might think about sending out a few e-mails to the local Lisbon board telling them that you are unhappy with the response you got when you asked about it.

So send out those letters, and help make a change.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum! I have lived in Kenosha for just over 3 years now and started open carrying here about a year or so ago. I open carry here every single day and so far my encounters with law enforcement have been good. One Kenosha county deputy asked me if I was law enforcement and I said "nope" and he said "Ok". I even had a Homeland Security guy see my G36 in January of this year and he told me "Everyone should have a gun and everyone should carry". That was an interesting comment!

Knowing the laws and knowing your rights are the only way we can promote open carry in a good light. Many of us carry video/audio recorders with us and I suggest you do so as well. I personally carry a Vado HD from Creative labs in my breast pocket whenever I am out and about. In my opinion the law that may get you in trouble is the 1000 ft. school zone law since there are many schools that you may not even be aware of. Wisconsin has a state pre-emption law that basically states that any law more stringent than state law is not enforceable. So what I am saying is that even if towns and counties have laws that forbid open carry they are not enforceable. Will you get arrested in areas like that? Probably. You may lose your firearm for a time period and have to jump through hoops to get it back. Some of us on this forum are quite familiar with various police departments from the inside after being arrested or "detained" but I do believe not one of us has ever been actually charged or tried in a court of law since there is no law against open carry.

I suggest you join Wisconsin Carry and attend the open carry events across the state when you get the chance. You will meet many of us on this forum and learn quite a bit bu attending. http://www.wisconsincarry.org is the site address.

Post any questions you have and someone on the forum will give you their opinion sooner or later. Remember to always look up the laws for yourself because we are not infallible. Once again welcome to Open Carry!

Phil

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the next OC event should be held in Mauston or some other unfriendly town. As long as we bring the Media with us, they won't touch us. and since their is strength in numbers , I want to see some small town police dept, arrest 50-100 OCers.:D since some of these towns have like 3 - 5 cops.....

jerstolp

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Welcome to the forum! I have lived in Kenosha for just over 3 years now and started open carrying here about a year or so ago. I open carry here every single day and so far my encounters with law enforcement have been good. One Kenosha county deputy asked me if I was law enforcement and I said "nope" and he said "Ok". I even had a Homeland Security guy see my G36 in January of this year and he told me "Everyone should have a gun and everyone should carry". That was an interesting comment!

Knowing the laws and knowing your rights are the only way we can promote open carry in a good light. Many of us carry video/audio recorders with us and I suggest you do so as well. I personally carry a Vado HD from Creative labs in my breast pocket whenever I am out and about. In my opinion the law that may get you in trouble is the 1000 ft. school zone law since there are many schools that you may not even be aware of. Wisconsin has a state pre-emption law that basically states that any law more stringent than state law is not enforceable. So what I am saying is that even if towns and counties have laws that forbid open carry they are not enforceable. Will you get arrested in areas like that? Probably. You may lose your firearm for a time period and have to jump through hoops to get it back. Some of us on this forum are quite familiar with various police departments from the inside after being arrested or "detained" but I do believe not one of us has ever been actually charged or tried in a court of law since there is no law against open carry.

I suggest you join Wisconsin Carry and attend the open carry events across the state when you get the chance. You will meet many of us on this forum and learn quite a bit bu attending. http://www.wisconsincarry.org is the site address.

Post any questions you have and someone on the forum will give you their opinion sooner or later. Remember to always look up the laws for yourself because we are not infallible. Once again welcome to Open Carry!

Phil

when you say lisbon do you mean New lisbon, because thats what i mean

thanks jeremy

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MEDIA INTERVIEW >> So, why did you decide to hold your Open carry event / Picnic in Mauston....well,it's simple...the police chief of this town said, he would arrest all Open Carriers....so we brought him 100 people to arrest...but I think he has lost his nerve.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Jeremy,

Welcome to the forums! Its great to have another OC'er/ambassador of rights to the public. Everytime you go about your law-abiding business while carrying you educate and make people aware of the rights of law-abiding citizens.

No one can promise you that you will never be hassled or arrested for lawful OC'ing. Since the attorney general memo last April, out of thousands upon thousands of individual instances open-carry, a few people have been arrested over the past year. All were either not charged, or had the charges dropped.

I CAN promise you that if you are careful not to carry in the places where its prohibited, (cars, bars, school zone, government building, state park) you are well within the law. The law is on your side.

So while no one can promise you that each and every law-enforcement officer in the state knows the laws and would properly enforce the law, you should take confidence that the law is on your side.

I would also encourage you to join Wisconsin Carry. Wisconsin Carry, on behalf of its members currently has a Federal civil rights lawsuit against Milwaukee and Racine for the unlawful arrest of 2 of our members and illegal seizure of their property.

While arrests like theirs due to lawful OC'ing are RARE, as a member of Wisconsin Carry, I assure you that you would have the support of our organization and our members should you ever find yourself unlawfully arrested or your property unlawfully seized.

jerstolp

imported post

AaronS wrote:
jerstolp wrote:
just wanted to say hi ,

thanks jeremy

Your problems with new Mauston is simple. Just send a letter (e-mail works well) to all of the village board members, and the heads of police asking for what ever the "carry ban" law is to be removed (Mauston is 11.211.1). The old "bad" carry law is not in line with State Statute 66.0409. This simple letter has worked for many of us to get old laws removed from the books. Also, remember that 66.0409 covers the full state, not just part of it. Lisbon, and Mauston are the same as any other place in the state as far as open carry goes. As far as I can see, Lisbon only has a concealed carry ban. I can not find any local open carry ban at all, so this should be fine. I might think about sending out a few e-mails to the local Lisbon board telling them that you are unhappy with the response you got when you asked about it.

So send out those letters, and help make a change.
i meant to quote this on the lisbon or New Lisbon

jerstolp

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I think the next OC event should be held in Mauston or some other unfriendly town. As long as we bring the Media with us, they won't touch us. and since their is strength in numbers , I want to see some small town police dept, arrest 50-100 OCers.:D since some of these towns have like 3 - 5 cops.....
iwould definantly go to a oc event in mauston too.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jerstolp wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
iwould definantly go to a oc event in mauston too.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of fire missions, when it's comes to a show of force..but some of these police chiefs really tick me off...and once in a while calling their bluff is what's needed.

jerstolp

imported post

twin lakes in kenosha county would be another great place for a oc event,the police there, granted i get along with them, are something else they would arrest me(or anyone)in anano second if i (you)oc'd there. my whole family are life longfirefighters&emt's of the tlvfd (i lived there 29yrs.)and in great standings with the village, and they still said they would arrest me(and take my gun)if i oc'd. per sgt. tim shuda

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

jerstolp wrote:
and they still said they would arrest me(and take my gun) if i oc'd.  per sgt. tim shuda 

Get that in writing...

(seriously)

That exactly the kind of documentation that we use in our civil lawsuits against cities/municipalities that unlawfully arrest and harass law-abiding OC'ers.

The police are NOT above the law.

Write a letter, send it certified mail (only costs a few bucks) tell the police chief that you had a conversation with Sgt. Tim Shuda who told you you would be arrested for OC'ing.

Tell him that his officer's comments are not in parallel with the advisory memo the Attorney General issued last April 20th.

If you need links to the AG memo or anything else let us know. Put the draft of your letter up here and we can help you with it before you send it.

State law is state law. Its no different in Milwaukee than it is in Twin Lakes. This is not a police state. The police must abide within the law (as must you and I)

I predict when you ask them to "put it in writing" you'll find that suddenly rogue officers who are use to being able to intimidate and scare law-abiding citizens into compliance with those officers personal desires (not professional roles) will change their tune.

Don't let officers abuse their authority. The law is the law. If police get to make their own laws, then why do we vote? Why do we have a state legislature? Why do we have courts? Why have any of it?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jerstolp wrote:
twin lakes in kenosha county would be another great place for a oc event,the police there, granted i get along with them, are something else they would arrest me(or anyone)in anano second if i (you)oc'd there. my whole family are life longfirefighters&emt's of the tlvfd (i lived there 29yrs.)and in great standings with the village, and they still said they would arrest me(and take my gun)if i oc'd. per sgt. tim shuda
I want to win the lottery, so I can travel to these cities & towns , legally OC , have my lawyer & private camera man with hidden camera along with me..so when I GET ARRESTED EVERYTHING IS DOCUMENTED WELL. then sue the dept for violating my rights :D I mean if I had just won 80 Million after taxes, I am sure I could find a really good lawyer.

I would make these townships SO sorry they ever met me.:lol:

jerstolp

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
jerstolp wrote:
I want to win the lottery, so I can travel to these cities & towns , legally OC , have my lawyer & private camera man with hidden camera along with me..so when I GET ARRESTED EVERYTHING IS DOCUMENTED WELL. then sue the dept for violating my rights :D I mean if I had just won 80 Million after taxes, I am sure I could find a really good lawyer.

i made a mistake it was almost a year ago when i talked to mauston pd and they said no oc, then i seen the vid today (link on here)where (antibranewash) recorded a conversion with chief messer of maustonwithout permission, anyway this anitbranewash guy is a idiot. i just got off the phone with chief messer, and what a nice guy, he said that you CAN open carry in mauston no problem. ecept for the known places you cant anywhere in wi. court houses, bars ect. i just wanted to correct this and give chief messer a big thumbs up
and antibrainwash a big thumbs down..

oh it was that, hurting oc'ers one idiot at a time

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jerstolp wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
jerstolp wrote:

i made a mistake it was almost a year ago when i talked to mauston pd and they said no oc, then i seen the vid today (link on here)where (antibranewash) recorded a conversion with chief messer of maustonwithout permission, anyway this anitbranewash guy is a idiot. i just got off the phone with chief messer, and what a nice guy, he said that you CAN open carry in mauston no problem. ecept for the known places you cant anywhere in wi. court houses, bars ect. i just wanted to correct this and give chief messer a big thumbs up
and antibrainwash a big thumbs down..

oh it was that, hurting oc'ers one idiot at a time
Awesome , good job clearing this up.:D ok, everyone take Mauston ,WI off your list.:)