• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings from Michigan

Kimberguy

imported post

I hope you are all doing well in you fine warm state. It is cold and with well over a foot of snow where i'm at. :)

I just found out that I ma be heading to your fine state in April. I do plan on bringing my side arm.

I was wondering if any one would be able to point me to some links with AZ law in regards to carrying both open can concealed. I do have a Michigan CPL.

I need to know where I can and can not go while I carry.(I will be at the JW Marriott desert ridge resort in Phoenix)

feel free to PM me or reply on here. thank you!
KG

Kimberguy

imported post

March Hare wrote:
Hi, I hope you enjoy your trip to Arridzona.

Open carry is unrestricted and Arizona recognizes your concealed carry permit.

Here's a link that I hope helps!

http://www.opencarry.org/az.html
Wow, sounds like an amazing place! went there once as a child, looking forward to going again. I will find out Friday if I will or not. as far as CC, anyone know the laws on that?

acmariner99

imported post

Welcome to Arizona and enjoy your stay. The only thing to watch out for is if you are in a bar you can carry concealed ONLY if you do not consume alcohol. If you do drink, don't carry. Other than the usual prohibited places (thank you uncle sam), OC all you want. Carry On!

Kimberguy

imported post

Ok, just to clarify,

OC
other than federal guidelines(schools, federal property)
unlimited.
0 alcohol tolerance.

CC
Can carry anywhere other than Federal Guidelines
0 alcohol tolerance

so much better than MI!!! I have been studying MI laws for 6 years now, and i'm still trying to figure it all out.

acmariner99

imported post

Correct. Businesses can still ask you to conceal or leave, but why give them your business anyway if they restrict your right to carry? Most businesses allow OC/CC. There are still the small handful that don't.

Kimberguy

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
Correct. Businesses can still ask you to conceal or leave, but why give them your business anyway if they restrict your right to carry? Most businesses allow OC/CC. There are still the small handful that don't.
I respect private property and a business owners rights, by not going into their store. It is a Company paid trip, my father is getting inducted into the Hall of Fame for the Company we work for. I'm sure they will have things for us to do off the resort, and i'm sure my wife and I will wander off... I'm just so excited to be able to visit a free state!

do you guys have handgun registration there? or would it be ok if my wife carried one of my pistols?

acmariner99

imported post

No gun registration whatsoever. As long as she is not a prohibited possessor, you will have no problems. Welcome to Freedom. We are more free than the Republic of Texas as far as Carry is concerned. Stay a while!!

Kimberguy

imported post

stay a while? I have been considering moving down that way. It is just hard to leave everything you have ever known. we are working on our freedoms here in MI, and have come a long ways. any places you recommend going while we are down there?

acmariner99

imported post

I personally don't know Phoenix all that well. If you are a baseball fan, spring training is in full swing. If you like the outdoors, Prescott/Flagstaff has a ton of opportunities to offer. Oh, there is a big shooting range on I-17 just north of Phoenix. (There are signs on the freeway for it) ;)

Kimberguy

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
Oh, there is a big shooting range on I-17 just north of Phoenix. (There are signs on the freeway for it) ;)
NICE!!!! now that gets me excited!!!!!! I'll have to google that and find out how far it is form the resort.

You guys have been very helpful, and extremely quick.
thank you!

March Hare

imported post

There's also:

Usery Mountain Shooting Range

3960 N Usery Pass Road, in Mesa, Arizona, 7 miles north of Highway 60 (Ellsworth Road Exit).

Hours:
7:00 AM to 6:00 PM, seven days a week.
Closed at 2pm on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
Closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas Day

Out by the beautiful Superstition Mountains, there are some nice drives through the desert there.

PavePusher

imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
March Hare wrote:
Hi, I hope you enjoy your trip to Arridzona.

Open carry is unrestricted and Arizona recognizes your concealed carry permit.

Here's a link that I hope helps!

http://www.opencarry.org/az.html
Wow, sounds like an amazing place! went there once as a child, looking forward to going again. I will find out Friday if I will or not. as far as CC, anyone know the laws on that?

CC reciprocity info here: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Reciprocity/

redoctoberz

imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
stay a while? I have been considering moving down that way. It is just hard to leave everything you have ever known. we are working on our freedoms here in MI, and have come a long ways. any places you recommend going while we are down there?

What do you have an interest in doing? nightlife? scenery? etc?

Michigander

imported post

I highly recommend you go to the Scottsdale Gun Club if you are in the area. It is without a doubt the very best indoor range and gun shop I have ever been to.

I may be mistaken since I haven't been to AZ in over a year, but I believe carry on the grounds of a K-12 school is illegal. Not that you'll likely be going to any schools. However, no one will blink at you for OCing while walking next to a school.

Michigander

imported post

Pace wrote:
"Grounds of a K-12 school is illegal"

In all 50 States, its a federal law.

No, that is not correct. Federal law exempts those with state licenses to carry. States may or may not restrict it further from there.

In Michigan, and perhaps some other states, K-12 carry is legal. In Michigan, licensed open carry is the only option, unless you are a cop and have the exemption and can carry concealed in state concealed carry free zones.