• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another good reason why we OC

Mech

imported post

Though I agree with ya, I was looking at the article more from a personal safety point of view, while the article itself was focusing more on national security. My idea was, given the large number of surveillance cameras out there, crime still and does happen; not saying that I'd be able to stop a 15-person armed terrorists, but if I were to encounter some thug who thinks he can commit a crime against me in an area not covered by a camera, then I'll give him something to think about :)

Kildars

imported post

Mech wrote:
Though I agree with ya, I was looking at the article more from a personal safety point of view, while the article itself was focusing more on national security. My idea was, given the large number of surveillance cameras out there, crime still and does happen; not saying that I'd be able to stop a 15-person armed terrorists, but if I were to encounter some thug who thinks he can commit a crime against me in an area not covered by a camera, then I'll give him something to think about :)
I agree with that. I also agree that we should not rely on cameras. The camera issue is a toss up for me because I value privacy and I foresee British style cameras in our city -- monitoring our every move. However, cameras help us when no one else is aruond. Say you do pull and have to use lethal force and you're the only witness -- a camera can prove it was a good shoot. I've also used cameras to recover stolen property (another thread here).

There are pro's and cons. I think cameras may be a good idea in high crime areas where people don't normally travel -- however busy city intersections and very public city streets I do not agree with them there, it seems too much like big brother watching me.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Cameras, at best, can only help to identify a criminal after the fact. They are a purely reactionary idea and I think what little value they may provide is far out weighed by the potential for misuse and intrusions on privacy. (Google "FBI security camera dressing room")

We hear the standard sales pitch every time, "They will improve security", "They will make it safer", etc., etc, etc. Heck, they not only had security cameras in the bus tunnel, they had real life security people too and it didn't stop the most recent beat down (to be fair, they DID provide entertaining video though...). I really don't care about improving the odds of catching someone AFTER the sh!t happens. I would much prefer it be avoided in the first place.

It is yet one more idea that serves to mash the law abiding under the thumb of big government while failing to do anything that actually addresses the real problem of crime. It serves as a means for politicians to say "I did something!" when, in fact, they have done nothing of substance.

Security theater, the average unaware citizen eats it up.

amzbrady

imported post

I dont understand why cameras havnt been installed within 2 blocks of every bank facing every corner. seems like that would be a big help in knowing which way they went. I (know this will stir up the pot) know that if I want privacy, that is why I own a home, and that if I am in public, it is exactly that, public. So I dont have any problem with a carmera invading my publicy, I do however think that if they are installed in public, they should be broadcast to the public, where we can have access to the video.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

PFFFFTT.

SPD installed cameras on every block ranging from pike place market to several blocks eastward. On the corners.

One special corner. The southeast corner of 3rd and Pike. Or is it Pine? Don't matter.
Lovely corner that is. Camera right on top of your head. Gang of hood rats right under with their baggies collecting that green! This is across from macys and columbia and right at mcdonalds. Mega foot traffic.

Guarantee any day, go there, you shall seeeeeeeeeeee.

Everytime I pass, got my hand over my baton and knife in the other hand ready to swish open....

:cuss:

Mech

imported post

Not to detract from the original topic, but is carrying a baton on your person as a Non-LEO legal in the state of WA?
Reason I ask is, I have a baton too :p and I've I've also wondered about the legality of carrying it with me when I go hiking (not only as a defense tool, but to use it to brush branches aside, flip open rocks, etc.)

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Mech wrote:
Not to detract from the original topic, but is carrying a baton on your person as a Non-LEO legal in the state of WA?
Reason I ask is, I have a baton too :p and I've I've also wondered about the legality of carrying it with me when I go hiking (not only as a defense tool, but to use it to brush branches aside, flip open rocks, etc.)
In seattle, there is no law against it, in WA RCW, I don't know, there was a thread about it somewhere back a bit, where folks were arguing about it, saying it was illegal under RCW.

But oh well, no one bothers me about it, and it is always visible on my belt. In fact, I think it's a deterrent also....

jbone

Mech

imported post

thanks for the link jbone :) I remember that thread but forgot to follow up on it. So basically, we can OC/CC the baton, but we had better not be caught committing a crime with it, right?