• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the correct way for selling a gun to another person?

airwolf09

imported post

If I want to sell my gun to another person, what is the correct and legal way of doing it?
He is from Florida and currently visit us in NC. He don't has conceal license either. is it ok for him to transport the gun back to FL or should I have the FFL dealer ship the handgun and rifle to FL and he pick it up in FL?

I want to do it legally and transfer the ownership of the handgun and rifle to him so that the gun is register under his name.

CarryOpen

imported post

It most likely needs to go through a Florida FFL, there is a thread going in the main discussion about this exact topic at the moment.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

airwolf09 wrote:
If I want to sell my gun to another person, what is the correct and legal way of doing it?
He is from Florida and currently visit us in NC. He don't has conceal license either. is it ok for him to transport the gun back to FL or should I have the FFL dealer ship the handgun and rifle to FL and he pick it up in FL?

I want to do it legally and transfer the ownership of the handgun and rifle to him so that the gun is register under his name.

The gun has to be shipped to andtransferred by the Florida FFL. But you can ship it with or without a NC FFL.

NLT posted this in another thread tonite:

NavyLT wrote:
Between two private parties of different states of residents,..... 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5):

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and
(B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=39152&