• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hand was on my gun

cmac1108

imported post

well to start the day off was good got all 4 of my dogs licenced had a great day with my wife . went to visit her sister and thats when it all went to h*ll. went out to smoke a cig was sitting in my truck lil blue car pulled up no cause for concern guy gets out and starts taking pictures of the house across the street that didnt seem weird its for sale (forclosure) then he turns and starts taking pictures of my truck my mother in laws house the neighbors house and cars (ding ding ding) bells go off. exited my truck walked over and asked why he needed pictures of my truck and my mother in laws home. he ask if i wanted him to show me i said yes he threw some papers in my face and said something about an inspection.. i asked who he worked for and was told it was none of my bus. so i told him i was calling the police and then he got really ticked and asked why. i told him because he wouldnt identify himself. so i walked back to my truck to get my cell herd footsteps coming up behind me turned around to find this guy right behind me about 10 ft. i told him to stop and not come on the property he continued to come at me i backed up and put my truck hood between him and i grabbed my gun and had it half way out told him that i would defend myself and the cops are on the way ( saw the neighbor on the phone) then came the stare down i reached through the window got my phone dialed 911 and requested an officer was told they were on the way to stay away from the guy told her that i had my cpl and was armed and i would defend myself and was told to just stay calm lol . cops show up and identify the guy as an inspector for a law office that had a controlling intrest in the house across the street and he was just taking pictures of the neighbor hood for an apraisel.

officer asked whati carried (M&P .40) talked a little about that and the dumb dumb inspector and how close he came. they left i went and heaved havnt been that shook up in a while.

what would you have done????

Bailenforcer

imported post

freightman360 wrote:
well to start the day off was good got all 4 of my dogs licenced had a great day with my wife . went to visit her sister and thats when it all went to h*ll. went out to smoke a cig was sitting in my truck lil blue car pulled up no cause for concern guy gets out and starts taking pictures of the house across the street that didnt seem weird its for sale (forclosure) then he turns and starts taking pictures of my truck my mother in laws house the neighbors house and cars (ding ding ding) bells go off. exited my truck walked over and asked why he needed pictures of my truck and my mother in laws home. he ask if i wanted him to show me i said yes he threw some papers in my face and said something about an inspection.. i asked who he worked for and was told it was none of my bus. so i told him i was calling the police and then he got really ticked and asked why. i told him because he wouldnt identify himself. so i walked back to my truck to get my cell herd footsteps coming up behind me turned around to find this guy right behind me about 10 ft. i told him to stop and not come on the property he continued to come at me i backed up and put my truck hood between him and i grabbed my gun and had it half way out told him that i would defend myself and the cops are on the way ( saw the neighbor on the phone) then came the stare down i reached through the window got my phone dialed 911 and requested an officer was told they were on the way to stay away from the guy told her that i had my cpl and was armed and i would defend myself and was told to just stay calm lol . cops show up and identify the guy as an inspector for a law office that had a controlling intrest in the house across the street and he was just taking pictures of the neighbor hood for an apraisel.

officer asked whati carried (M&P .40) talked a little about that and the dumb dumb inspector and how close he came. they left i went and heaved havnt been that shook up in a while.

Ok this is odd, why did he "throw papers in your face?" that borders on assault, if not assault itself.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Bronson wrote:
freightman360 wrote:

What you did, plus maybe poop.

Did you get the name of the firm he works for? If so you should file a complaint with his boss.

Bronson
I would have filed assault charges if the threw anything in my face and then went after his company.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

freightman360 wrote:

How big was the guy, in relation to you?

wally1120

imported post

That sounds like a VERY scary event. I don`t know how I would have handled it,But I feel my Gun would have unmounted my Holster. If he started walking towards you and got within 10 feet of you, After he was snapping pictures off of you family's house, truck, And threw papers in your face. That would have made me go into condition RED, But you did the right thing, You couldn`t have done anything else.

Everything that you have described in this thread is a HUGE BELL RINGER.

wally1120

imported post

Yeah, I guess I have ALOT more to work about. I am about 9" shorter then the guy, And out weighed by atleast 85 pounds. That is a bit of a difference, I would have to be A WHOLE LOT CONCERNED.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

freightman360 wrote:
HankT wrote:
freightman360 wrote:

about 50 to 60 lbs lighter than me.... me being 6ft 3" 330 lbshe was 6ft 6-8"

OK.

Well, first of all, you escalated the interaction and got it started on its upward spiral of intensity.

Is there some kind of law that says a guy cannot take pictures of a house from the street or sidewalk in your MIL's city? If not, why are you bothering the camera guy?

And, if not, why are you asking for ID (company)? (Isn't it kind of iron, btw, that you would want to ask a citizen in a public place for ID without any legal reason for doing so--the exact same thing that many OCers chaff at when a cop/security does it to them).

That's where the beef started. With your demand for ID (company). I have to wonder, of course, just how polite you were in asking for that ID (company). What exactly and how exactly did you ask?

You're a little unclear in your description of the event as to what the camera guy did in following you. Did he attack you? Did he say anything threatening? Did he go on your MIL's property?

Unless I read some new details, I think youcaused most of the intensity of the situation.I think youover-reacted.Clearly so.

You had your "hand on your gun" and"had it half way out"---because of a camera guy who was obviously not a threat.

Suboptimal performance, f360.

In answer to your question, I would have asked the guy why he was taking pics of my MIL's house. If he answered, I would've said, "OK." If he didn't, I would have gotten his car info and tag. I would not have done anything to create a physical confrontation, especially not with a gun.

Guns are for threats. Not guys with cameras.

One last thing. You actually think he was "taking pictures of my truck?" Really?

C'mon.

cmac1108

imported post

HankT wrote:
freightman360 wrote:
HankT wrote:
freightman360 wrote:

about 50 to 60 lbs lighter than me.... me being 6ft 3" 330 lbshe was 6ft 6-8"

OK.

Well, first of all, you escalated the interaction and got it started on its upward spiral of intensity.

Is there some kind of law that says a guy cannot take pictures of a house from the street or sidewalk in your MIL's city? If not, why are you bothering the camera guy?

And, if not, why are you asking for ID (company)? (Isn't it kind of iron, btw, that you would want to ask a citizen in a public place for ID without any legal reason for doing so--the exact same thing that many OCers chaff at when a cop/security does it to them).

That's where the beef started. With your demand for ID (company). I have to wonder, of course, just how polite you were in asking for that ID (company). What exactly and how exactly did you ask?

You're a little unclear in your description of the event as to what the camera guy did in following you. Did he attack you? Did he say anything threatening? Did he go on your MIL's property?

Unless I read some new details, I think youcaused most of the intensity of the situation.I think youover-reacted.Clearly so.

You had your "hand on your gun" and"had it half way out"---because of a camera guy who was obviously not a threat.

Suboptimal performance, f360.

In answer to your question, I would have asked the guy why he was taking pics of my MIL's house. If he answered, I would've said, "OK." If he didn't, I would have gotten his car info and tag. I would not have done anything to create a physical confrontation, especially not with a gun.

Guns are for threats. Not guys with cameras.

One last thing. You actually think he was "taking pictures of my truck?" Really?

C'mon.

because of a camera guy who was obviously not a threat. how am i to know that he is not a threat. he fallowed me onto privet property to continue confronting me after asking several times for him to leave and him not that makes him a threat to my well being i didnt know if he had a wepon and the way he was acting and not wanting the cops involved that raised my suspisions evenmore...... and last i knew is you have to have permision to take pictures if you are going to make money from them and he didnt have mine or my mil's permision to take them.

In answer to your question, I would have asked the guy why he was taking pics of my MIL's house. If he answered, I would've said, "OK." If he didn't, I would have gotten his car info and tag. <---- this is why he was ticked off because i got his tag and was calling the police because he wouldnt answer my questions i did not demand just simply asked he is the one that was in the fight mode. threw papers in my face and got out of controle.

jeremy05

imported post

sounds like YOU were way out of line at the start, meaning you caused the reactions to your actions. Seems like you could have initiated the conversation in another matter, maybe I wasn't there. Almost everyone seems to give the police a hard time when they REQUEST id from you, but when you ask a total stranger for ID and they refuse and you get all bent out of shape. Well how did it feel? The guy was breaking NO laws and was not doing anything ILLEGAL.

Just my opinion.

Edit. You don't need permission to take pictures of anything in open view, including people.

cmac1108

imported post

ok i will try and make this clear i did not ask for his i.d i asked why he was taking pictures of my property and my mother in laws home when he wouldnt tell me i asked who he worked for he again refused so i walked away to call the police and report a suspisious person to the police he fallowed me and got an attitude with me, and took it to the next level throwing papers in my face and got beligerent with me. the guy was not dressed like someone from a law office he looked like a "hood rat"

cabman1

imported post

freightman360 wrote:
ok i will try and make this clear i did not ask for his i.d i asked why he was taking pictures of my property and my mother in laws home when he wouldnt tell me i asked who he worked for he again refused so i walked away to call the police and report a suspisious person to the police he fallowed me and got an attitude with me, and took it to the next level throwing papers in my face and got beligerent with me. the guy was not dressed like someone from a law office he looked like a "hood rat"

most people with any sense would have did what u did but some people are trolls around here that never agree with anyone!!!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

freightman360 wrote:

What did the camera guy actually say to you? Did he threaten you? Did he touch you?

What make/model car did he drive?

Was camera guy arrested?

jeremy05

imported post

So you asked him what he was doing, and he did'nt want to tell you? i do not see the problem. what did you expect the cops to do when you called them? Troll? LOL

kyleplusitunes

imported post

hate to say it but I'm with Hank on this one. I have been a camera guy, gathering info for the police on a crack house before.

maybe he should not have followed you onto your private property, however, putting your hand on your gun before seeing a deadly weapon on the potential BG, in my honest opinion, is a bad move. it also may leave you open to a lawsuit if you would have pointed it in his direction, as far as I know, you can't just shoot someone for being on your property even after you ask them to leave.

I would have calmly and kindly told the man that I was indeed armed, and he should stay in the street to keep this from becoming a possibly dangerous situation for us both.

remember, your gun is absolutely deadly, last resort and when you're in absolute terror for the safety of your life.

I am an open carry member, and absolutely pro-Rkba, I support carry in all forms. however, I do not support putting peoples lives in your crosshairs for a situation that was cool from the get go.

this is just my two cents, I'd hate to see any of our members or posters make a bad choice when it comes to being in a less than life threatening situation.

stay cool, remember, you're the one who is armed.