• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

couple of questions about CC and private transfer of handgun

brute650i

imported post

I am 21 yrs old and have been wanting to buy a pistol. I have been looking in the stores around here but haven't found one that is in my price range until a buddy of mine said he had a Ruger P89 for sale.

Question 1:

He is not the original purchaser of the handgun. It has transferred hand from the original buyer to my buddies roommate then to my buddy. I know both of the previous 2 owners but I believe the original owner bought it in TN. What I'm wanting to know, is there anything that needs to be done differently than if it had been originally bought in MS?

Question 2:
What else do they ask you when you go in to get the CC permit? I have looked over the form but would like to know what else they may ask so I can be ready for it.

Thanks,
Brute650i

JT

imported post

To question one I know ofno requirement for you to do anything but purchase the gun. If you know the history of the gun and are sure that it isn't stolen or was used in a crime you have nothing to worry about. If you don't know the history of the gun I would suggest you write up a bill of sale or at least make sure you have the previous owners info to cover yourself in the event that the serial number is run and it comes back as stolen, etc.

As to question two I was asked noadditional questions. You will have to provide valid ID establishing ageand will be finger printed. If anything comes back on your background investigation you will be denied and then have 30 days to appeal the denial per the statute