• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best way to carry

Killer1306

imported post

what are the ways you carry and draw your pistol and there pros/cons from your experiance or previous knowledge

Killer1306

imported post

dougwg wrote:
I carry in a holster, I draw with my hand.
oh (haha) thats cool i never thought of that!

dang do i realy have to spell it out for you (dont start telling me about my spelling mistakes eather i spell badly, i alredy know) like haveing a sholder holster what is it like and a little about how it is to use.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Ask silly questions get silly answers.

Ask well thought out, detailed questions, get well thought out, detailed answers.

;)
Welcome to OCDO and please enter your location into your profile properly so that you show up as a fellow Michigander.

WARCHILD

imported post

First off you better be specific to Doug which gun he needs to draw. :p

Now with the serious answer.... practice for yourself and decide which is more comfortable and easiest for you. Advice is always good but it stills comes down to what works for you. I carry cross draw only, w/belt holster, works for me but not everyone.

Killer1306

imported post

k ill do that now can you answer the q you know im asking. so you know of mendon? it kind of small.

(to dougwg's second post)

WARCHILD

imported post

No, I have no idea where it's at.

As far as the draw stats, I carry/draw in cross draw. I don't use the typical weaver stance. I prefer the "old west" side profile/strong side stance. But again, that's how I've carried and trained for.

Killer1306

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Vertical Shoulder Holster, Strongside and Smartcarry.
umm lets say for discussion sake i dont know the meaning of most of what you said.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I carry on my strong side(right) with a paddle holster slight forward cant OCing everywhere except church(and this may be changing soon). There I carry IWB strong side.

Most importantly what you carry and how you carry is irrelevant unless you practice drawing and shooting from that position.

autosurgeon

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
I carry on my strong side(right) with a paddle holster slight forward cant OCing everywhere except church(and this may be changing soon). There I carry IWB strong side.

Most importantly what you carry and how you carry is irrelevant unless you practice drawing and shooting from that position.
Yes this!!

Bronson

imported post

I carry stong side as close to the 3:00 position as possible.

Advantages:

readily accesible

decent weapon retention ability

comfortable

able to bring gun on target quickly once the holster is cleared

Disadvantages:

gun can be grabbed from behind you

not as comfortable or accesible when driving as someother methods

I cannot unholster it with my off hand

I also nowdoa lotof my shooting one handed without using the sights (point shooting). Very often from a low (just clearing the holster) to med high (low chest height)position.

And this is why:

Excerpted from "Play A Winning Hand" by Mike Conti, pg. 13 & 14 Guns & Ammo, Handguns 2009 Annual

The entire concept of the Modern Technique was based on the belief that the core components of the system were as universally applicable for actual combat situations as they were for target shooting on the range. This concept was validated by anecdotes from Modern Technique adherents who had been involved in some type of violent person-on-person incident, stories that were often reported in magazines and books.

For the past couple of decades, though, law enforcement has documented a less-than stellar performance record during documented, real-world gunfights. In fact, studies conducted by the FBI and other police organizations have consistentely indicated that in actual gunfights, on average the police miss the threat suspect they are shooting at with as many as 85 percent of the rounds they fire--this despite years of documented training using primarily the two-hand hold and other Modern Technique-based practices.

Whenever this disparity between training methods and standards and actual real-world performance is brought up, proponents of the Modern Technique are quick to blame the individual officer for failing to adhere to his training or to condemn the members of the law enforcementt profession as a whole for failing to adequately train their officers "enough" in the Modern Techinque.

After having studied this matter in some detail over the past 20 or so years, I've come the conclusion that it's time for us to rethink our dependence upon the two-hand hold, sight-focused school of pistol training becasue it apparently does not adequately prepare the average, armed individual--police officer or law-abiding private citizen--for the realites of violent close-quarters spontaneous events.

It is critical to remember that while these two-hand techniques may reign supreme on the target range or when hunting, they were not developed for use against armed and dangerous human beings presenting an immediate threat at near to touching distances. For those who desire specifics, let's say distances from seven yards to breath-in-the face close, since statistcs also indicate that more than 80 percent of police-involved shootings occur in this zone, most of these within five feet.

Several years ago, I reported on some research which indicated that one of the primary reasons sights were not used during actual or simulated close-quarter spontaneous events was becasue the operators reported that they had an overwhelming feeling there was "not enough time" to access and use them.

It wasn't that the interviewed officers didn't actually have enought time to access the sights. They did have the time, but in their minds they were convinced they did not--despite long, documented histories of being successfully trained to use the sights on the target range.

It's the difference between training for the range and training for the real world. In the real world, we operate in what Prussian military philosopher Carl von Clausewitz described as the "element of danger." And in this element of danger, the vast majority of humang beings facing an armed and dangerous opponent at close quarters will be naturally and forcefully compelled to stare at that threatening human being during those few fleeting and terryifying moments. More than 13,000 years of evolution--during which human beings often squared off against one another with sharp, pointy sticks--pretty much ensures it.

We will also tend to crouch, and if we have something small and dangerous in our hand--whether a sharp, pointy stick or a handgun loaded with sharp, pointy bullets--we will more than likely stare open-eyed at that threat while we try to drive our weapon straight toward and into him, usually with one hand.
Bronson

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Openly.

Its my strong side, My hand is right there all the time to either draw, or retain. Its never concealed, (I hate that), Ill probably move it back up to my hip for summer. My elbow doesnt move back to draw, so I am better protected from behind. The only drawbacks are that it attracts more attension, its a two edged sword really, and that I have to be a little more careful when Im around a nice car so I dont scratch it. Im also careful not to whack some little kid with it in the head as I walk past them in a crowd.:lol:It does make it easier to sit down without it poking into a chair, and its much easier to draw from a sitting position. Its funny to wasch peoples expressions when they notice the gun on my lap.

G

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Openly.

Its my strong side, My hand is right there all the time to either draw, or retain. Its never concealed, (I hate that), Ill probably move it back up to my hip for summer. My elbow doesnt move back to draw, so I am better protected from behind. The only drawbacks are that it attracts more attension, its a two edged sword really, and that I have to be a little more careful when Im around a nice car so I dont scratch it. Im also careful not to whack some little kid with it in the head as I walk past them in a crowd.:lol:It does make it easier to sit down without it poking into a chair, and its much easier to draw from a sitting position. Its funny to wasch peoples expressions when they notice the gun on my lap.
Is that the same holster you were using while concealed carrying on the school playground?

Killer1306

imported post

Bronson
and
stainless1911

thank you your replys are exactly what i am looking for

(the draw jokes were not)