• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traffic stop in Virginia Beach

NovaCop

imported post

My entire argument for disarming someone during a traffic stop was a reasonable search and seizure (4th Amendment) set forth with case law in Terry v Ohio (the most simple concept in police work). Not only do you get to search a person, but you always get the "lunging area". Lunging area can apply to a vehicle, as well as anywhere else. Here is a snip from a legal update that I got that you might find interesting:

Ordering Driver Out of a Vehicle: A driver may be directed out of a car lawfully stopped by the police for a moving violation or on a “Moving Terry Stop” with no additional justification. The U.S. Supreme Court made this decision primarily based on “officer safety.” This is a tactical decision for the officer / agent. Some officers like the idea of ordering a driver out of a car for officer safety and control of the suspect. It may also be easier to see items in plain view, handguns concealed on the driver’s person, and to watch for contraband falling onto the roadway as the driver steps out. to make

Frisking the “Lunging Area”: An officer / agent, with lawful authority to conduct a stop and frisk, may frisk not only the person of the suspect for weapons, but also any “lunging area” from which the suspect could obtain a weapon. This will include such nearby areas as a newspaper on the ground, a trash barrel, a jacket in the back seat of a car, under the car seats (if the suspect was originally sitting in the car).

Frisking Containers: An officer / agent who finds a closed container within lunging distance of a suspect who is being lawfully stopped and frisked, may open the container to see if it contains a weapon if: a) in light of the officer’s experience and training the item could contain a weapon, and b) the container is NOT locked.

Also, as one comment above stated that an officer should not fear a "law abiding citizen", but I argue that there is no way to look at someone and know if they are law abiding or not.

Also, one comment above brings up that police are corrupt, or that the driver fears an officer just as much as the officer fears the driver. It is difficult for me to believe that a citizen is in as much danger as the officer during the traffic stop. Sure there are bad apples out there that found themselves with a badge, but I argue that it is very few. I also argue that even the worst police out there don't pose a lethal threat to an innocent driver during a traffic stop.

The only rebuttal that I can see for my argument is someone stating that Terry doesn't apply because someone is not dangerous, but armed (since you need both). The determination of "armed and dangerous" is not determined by the citizen, and there is no rules set forth as to what determines this. This is determined by the articulation of the officer (opinion). In my previous post, I have touched upon (not nearly in detail as I could have) why I believe someone who is open carrying of a firearm can be considered "armed and dangerous" enough to apply Terry to seize that weapon.

Just my two cents.

P.S. I can see that some individuals that have posted on here must have had some serious negative experience with police, like one member said-
"snip What would possibly be our motivation to assist one of them other than out of the goodness of our own hearts?" snip"
I'm sorry you feel this way, but it is discouraging to see comments like this. I can't even begin to tell you how much help I have given, along with my coworkers, to citizens. With this job you are almost gauranteed to be spit on, assaulted, mocked, called names, and have citizens try to take your job away from you. However, we understand there are bad apples out there and still work for the good ones.

Pagan

imported post

I do believe you have beencalled uponto cite the laws or codes granting you permission to "legally" disarm a citizen for a minor traffic infraction.

Seems like you should be working on finding and postingthose codes, rather than ignoring the board rules, you do understand rules, don't you?

Pagan

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
snip
The only rebuttal that I can see for my argument is someone stating that Terry doesn't apply because someone is not dangerous, but armed (since you need both). The determination of "armed and dangerous" is not determined by the citizen, and there is no rules set forth as to what determines this. This is determined by the articulation of the officer (opinion). In my previous post, I have touched upon (not nearly in detail as I could have) why I believe someone who is open carrying of a firearm can be considered "armed and dangerous" enough to apply Terry to seize that weapon.
snip

So a person has to be open carry for them to fit in with your definition of "armed and dangerous"? So you think that the weapon youCAN"T see or understand is of less importance?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have to wonder where you want this thread to go Novacop?

The board is not anti police and without reading all the replies, at least one poster is a former LEO, however, every once in a while we get a Police Officer, usually from NOVA, who is on Zoo Safari.

He wants to rattle the cages of all the animals ...just because he can.

It's pretty clear that you have the "I put my life on the line for you" and :It's a jungle out there" attitude and that should bring you respect.

Unfortunately, all that manages to happen is endless BS from the LEO and growing frustration on the board. It saturates the color of the thin blue line.

Why not save everyone a little time and aggravation.

mobeewan

imported post

"Lunging area" ? Pleases Cite. Never heard of this. Are you making up stuff or are your statements in reguard to dept "policy" and not actual law.

NovaCop

imported post

You are asking me to cite a VA law stating that police can seize a weapon during Terry? Well I'm sorry but there is no such law that I'm aware of. Disarming someone during a traffic stop with the necessary ingredients has been legally upheld by using case law and appeals (through the federal district 4th circuit which covers Virginia). I will not go over Terry again, although there is more case law that I could articulate that would also cover me if I would chose to disarm a driver during a traffic stop. My own department does not directly have rules regarding this issue, it is our discretion.

You never heard of lunging area? How about a curtilage search? These legal searches are things they probably teach first week in the academy. I understand that I am up against a wall in this forum. Many of you are well informed in the laws regarding firearms, but maybe you should dig a little deeper with Constitutional searches. The police have a great deal of power (which they should not abuse), and can do a lot of things as long as they can articulate it.

I'm sorry if you think I'm here to rattle some cages. That is not my intention at all. If you want me to stop commenting just let me know. The "zoo safari" that I am on is actually me working 12 hour shifts, court time, extra details, and trying to add in my personal life. Much less entertaining than a safari, well maybe not all the time.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
SNIP You are asking me to cite.....
Hey, guys! I figured it out!!

The forum rules require a citeof a published source. Since NovaCop10 is a law-giver with at least the same ability to create law as a court or legislature, anything he says is the law.

Thus, as he posts on this forum, he is publishing the law as his own source!

So, what we really have here is a situation whereby he is publishing the law as he writes it and it is automatically, circularlyself-citing.

Boy, were we dumb to not figure that out.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaahaa!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
SNIP Ordering Driver Out of a Vehicle: A driver may be directed out of a car lawfully stopped by the police for a moving violation or on a “Moving Terry Stop” with no additional justification. The U.S. Supreme Court made this decision primarily based on “officer safety.”
Look, we know you are not stupid. And it is insulting for you to treat us as if we are stupid enough to accept your evasions about cites of court opinions and your refusals to provide cites to court opinions.

You even went off on a tangent about Virginia lawregarding Terry when it was not even asked about.

In that same post you even told members to dig deeper on constitutional searches.

Horse-hockey. It is not our job to dig deeper. It is your jobto cite the court opinion.

You've been asked to cite. The forum rules require a cite.

Cough up the cites, or have your evasions further highlighted and ridiculed.

NovaCop

imported post

Citizen, If you understood constitutional searches, you would understand that a lot of it has to do with the officer's opinion and articulation. Therefore, my opinion is included with the laws because that is the power that allows me to conduct my job.

Besides Terry v Ohio, I base some of my theories on the following CASE LAW;

Michigan v Long
Pennsylvania v Mimms
Arizona v Johnson
Horton v California
Ybarra v Illinois
Plain view doctrine
just to name some...

You seem like an intelligent person, and you must understand that case law sets forth guidelines to what is an acceptable search and seizure under the fourth Amendment. These cases directly or indirectly relate to searching a vehicle, particularly for a weapon, and the justifications needed to do so.

Citizen, will you please CITE A LAW stating that it is illegal to seize a weapon during a justified and legal traffic stop?

kennys

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
Citizen, will you please CITE A LAW stating that it is illegal to seize a weapon during a justified and legal traffic stop?

I'm not Citizen but hears my 2 Cents any way

IMOA; There is no one who site’s the law allowing it, as there is no such site of law not allowing it, only case law that can change under circumstance.

I believe however we come to the realization of reasonable cause VS un-lawful search and seizure. Determination, how good your lawyer is, and what mood the judge is in.

It would be nice to think we have reasonable common sense officers out there but often there are those who’s heads are bigger than their badges, and think they are above the law.

The thing for LEO’s to remember all it takes is crossing the line that one time with their own interpretation of the law, with the wrong person, which could end their career for good.

I have heard so many times the excuse of their safety being at risk, but how many times has some LEO’s put the public at risk? Doing traffic stops in the middle of intersections, driving while on the computer, running red lights when not on a call. Don’t even get me started on my list of pet peeves.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
SNIP Citizen,
Besides Terry v Ohio, I base some of my theories on the following CASE LAW;

Michigan v Long
Pennsylvania v Mimms
Arizona v Johnson
Horton v California
Ybarra v Illinois
Plain view doctrine
just to name some...

FINALLY! Now, if you will just split up your cites and apply them to each statement of law, we might get somewhere.

However, it is not lost on me that you have still not actually applied the forum rule #7 about using links when available.

At best you have non-complied with the forum rule by giving a seeming minimum of effort.

A best effort is a cite, link, and quote the relevant text.

So, all in all, still an evasion.I guess your time is too important, being a special person--a cop, to actually take the time to look up the cite, find the text to quote, and provide a link. I guess you would rather just gather some self-importance by telling readers the law.

7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
SNIP Citizen, will you please CITE A LAW stating that it is illegal to seize a weapon during a justified and legal traffic stop?
You brilliant ass. You assume that because I demand cites, Imust be in disagreement.

Newsflash, Sherlock. I've read all but one of the cases on your list. To include in some cases the concurrences and dissents. In fact you will find some of them on a resource thread I maintain on this forum 1) for people who want to consult it, and 2) so I can quickly find the case to cite, link, and quote text when I make statements about the law.*

For pete's sake. How arrogant can one cop be? You apparently had a clue or you wouldn't have credited me with seeming like an intelligent person who would understand that case law sets forth guidelines, etc.

I know whether you are relating case law correctly. The cite demands are not for my information, idiot. They are for new readers who may not have read the cases. This is why one quote's the text when discussing with readers who seem to not know the case law--so they can see for themselves what it actually says. Providing alink helps them quickly find it sothey can read the case in its entirety to get the full perspective. And see if something is taken out of context. Quoting the text also helps readers who may not quite have the interest, gumption, or time to go find it themselves absorb the law. But, I guess some of those reasons and benefits might escape the notice of someone a little wrapped up in feeding their self-importance.

Bottom line with regard to cites, links, and quotes. You either want to really help readers learn the law, and have a viewpoint that they are equals who should get the opportunity to evaluate for themselves what the law really is from its correct source, or not.

*This is what is known asa "clue". I will help you out. That I maintain that thread for the second reason means I have cited, quoted, and linked the cases so many times I got tired of hunting on the internet for it and wanted it handier. This would also mean that I must know the relevant text well enough to quickly find it once I pull up the text of the court opinion on my screen. And,havingquotedtext so many times,it wouldtend to suggest that I know a good bit of the oft-quoted text very well.

PS: Here is the thread. You will notice that I started it almost a year ago, meaning its been a year since I posted to the forum all the links and stuff I had already collected up to that point. Now, make a guess at just how well I know what I know about OCers and cops and4A and 5A law after 3 years on the forum and 7K posts.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/23936.html

Pagan

imported post

Citizen wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
SNIP Citizen, will you please CITE A LAW stating that it is illegal to seize a weapon during a justified and legal traffic stop?
You brilliant ass. You assume that because I demand cites, Imust be in disagreement.

Newsflash, Sherlock. I've read all but one of the cases on your list. To include in some cases the concurrences and dissents. In fact you will find some of them on a resource thread I maintain on this forum 1) for people who want to consult it, and 2) so I can quickly find the case to cite, link, and quote text when I make statements about the law.*

For pete's sake. How arrogant can one cop be? You apparently had a clue or you wouldn't have credited me with seeming like an intelligent person who would understand that case law sets forth guidelines, etc.

I know whether you are relating case law correctly. The cite demands are not for my information, idiot. They are for new readers who may not have read the cases. This is why one quote's the text when discussing with readers who seem to not know the case law--so they can see for themselves what it actually says. Providing alink helps them quickly find it sothey can read the case in its entirety to get the full perspective. And see if something is taken out of context. Quoting the text also helps readers who may not quite have the interest, gumption, or time to go find it themselves absorb the law. But, I guess some of those reasons and benefits might escape the notice of someone a little wrapped up in feeding their self-importance.

Bottom line with regard to cites, links, and quotes. You either want to really help readers learn the law, and have a viewpoint that they are equals who should get the opportunity to evaluate for themselves what the law really is from its correct source, or not.

*This is what is known asa "clue". I will help you out. That I maintain that thread for the second reason means I have cited, quoted, and linked the cases so many times I got tired of hunting on the internet for it and wanted it handier. This would also mean that I must know the relevant text well enough to quickly find it once I pull up the text of the court opinion on my screen. And,havingquotedtext so many times,it wouldtend to suggest that I know a good bit of the oft-quoted text very well.

PS: Here is the thread. You will notice that I started it almost a year ago, meaning its been a year since I posted to the forum all the links and stuff I had already collected up to that point:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/23936.html

DANG!

we need to get a "gettin spanked" emoticon :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pagan wrote:
DANG!

we need to get a "gettin spanked" emoticon :lol:
Which do you prefer?

paddle.gif
spank.gif

Yata hey

NovaCop

imported post

Citizen,

Really? Are you being serious with this junk? Ok, I will explain each case for you and what powers it gives officers during a traffic stop related to this discussion (thought maybe the readers are smart enough to Google each term if they already don't know the case).

Terry v Ohio- I think we all know the background and elements of this case. However, I'll explain how it applies to the senario in question. An officer pulls over a vehicle for coasting through a stop sign using his emergency lights. The officer has established probable cause that a crime has occurred (traffic crime) and a legal detention (arrest) of the motorist. He walks up to the window and sees that the driver has a gun on his hip in open view, or a gun attached to the seat in a holster (like the photo earlier on this thread), or even a concealed handgun that the officer can make out the grip. The officer does not know the driver, who could have just committed a robbery, who could have warrants, etc. The officer plans to turn his back on the armed driver and return to his cruiser, sit inside while unable to maintain visual on the driver at all times. The officer is by himself and on a roadway and cannot see the driver's hands or firearm while now in his cruiser. Many officers are killed while sitting in their vehicle because of the tactical disadvantage. Given these elements, it would be easy to conclude by any officer that he could consider the driver, ARMED AND DANGEROUS. This does not mean that the driver is dangerous, but it is reasonable for an officer to conclude this. Therefore, the officer can legally seize the weapon for purposes of officer safety, but must return it when the stop is over.

Michigan v Long- Case law that allows officers to search compartments with reasonable suspicious (not even probable cause). Also find this case interesting because it stems from a traffic stop with a knife on the floor in plain view. Officer's use the Terry/ plain view to seize the knife, frisk the driver, and searched the lunge area of the car for weapons (but found drugs). They argued that the protective search of the lunge area was unconstitutional (they did not argue the frisk of the driver was unconstitutional), but everything was upheld.

Pennsylvania v Mimms- allows an officer to order a driver out of the vehicle (a separate case allows the same for passengers) after conducting a traffic stop. During this case the officer ordered the driver out, saw a bulge, frisked him, seized his handgun.

Arizona v Johnson- Case that determines that Terry can apply during a traffic stop as long as the conditions of Terry are met. This case involved a pat down of a passenger of a vehicle and a concealed handgun.

Horton v California- Establishes plain view seizure without a warrant.

Ybarra v Illinois- I mentioned this case because it can apply to passengers of a vehicle when it relates to seizure of firearms. Since technically a passenger is not under arrest (the driver of a stop is under arrest technically during that stop), it is determined that a passenger can not be searched unless there is probable cause to search or belief they carry a weapon.

Brendlin v California- Establishes that all passengers are seized during the stop as well.

Keep in mind that in all of the cases that it mentions the seizure of a weapon, it does not say that legally carried firearm can't be seized. The detention of the stop should not go on longer if an open carried firearm is seized, unless there is reason to believe it's being carried illegally. A firearm must be given back to the driver at the finish of the detention (citation or warning issued) and of course the firearm must be returned in the same condition.

I am still sore from that spanking you gave me. You really showed me! I guess my assumption that you disagree with me was wrong, or do you disagree? Do you have an opinion on the matter or are you only attempting to make me look like a fool? Can you please stick with the topic that was started and engage in a debate on the issue with facts or case law to support your opinion? This thread is turning into the maturity of a ten year old girl's birthday party and Citizen is the clown.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
This thread is turning into the maturity of a ten year old girl's birthday party and Citizen is the clown.
You didn't do bad until there - one ah snit will cancel a lot of atta boys.:(

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
This thread is turning into the maturity of a ten year old girl's birthday party and Citizen is the clown.
You didn't do bad until there - one ah snit will cancel a lot of atta boys.:(

Yata hey
Yep!
There's an Assclown here and it ain't Citizen.

ThunderRanch

imported post

One thing for Nova "SuperCop" to try and keep in mind.........A large percentage of the folks who frequent this site carry voice recorders, so "He who is better than the rest of us" should consider himself....and his fellow officers forewarned. As in Miranda......anything you say (or do) WILL be brought up in a court of law! Better keep your "holier than thou" ducks in a row! You WILL be held accountable.