• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for Chicago to re-think their stance?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Three people have been found shot dead in a Chicago suburb in what officials describe as a home invasion.
Darien police Chief Robert Pavelchic says a young woman called 911 early Tuesday while she was hiding in a closet. Pavelchic says officers found the three victims when they arrived at the house. Detectives are talking to the woman.
Pavelchic says the shootings don't appear to be random and he doesn't believe residents in the area are in danger.
"The neighborhood is not in danger," Pavelchic said, according to MyFoxChicago.com. "This does not appear to be a random act. It doesn't appear there's a suspect running around the neighborhood."
Darien Mayor Kathleen Weaver described the situation as a home invasion.
"We are such easy targets being close to the highway (Stevenson Expressway)," Weaver said, MyFoxChicago.com reported.
The names of the victims haven't been released. Police say no suspects are in custody.
Police have not arrested any suspects.

hp-hobo

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Which is exactly our point, the 911 call would have been "Shots fired, man down" Had Chicago not been a free-fire zone for bad guys.
Well, no, I don't think that's the point. While it is true that Chicago has a handgun ban, it's still legal to have a shotgun or rifle in your home, so it's far from a "free-fire zone for bad guys".

But more to the point. Chicago laws mean nothing in this instance anyway because it didn't happen in Chicago. It happened in Darien, a suburbwhich is a good 10 miles or so outside Chicago.

Sorry if the facts don't support your opinion.

I think the point is that every American citizen should be armed so they can protect themselves and their loved ones. Apparently none of the several adults in this house felt the same way.

jgregel

imported post

So many people still believe that this could never happen to them. Most people have never even thought about what they would do if it did. The fact that the BGs had no resistance will encourage them to do it again.

If only one person in the house could return fire, even if the outcome was still the same, the BGs would think twice before doing it again. I say everyone should be armed and let natural selection solve the problems.

John

dman15

imported post

probably 3 or 4 more people alive today because they didn't have a gun. Last I checked living was a good thing:)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dman15 wrote:
probably 3 or 4 more people alive today because they didn't have a gun. Last I checked living was a good thing:)
I'll bite; and fix it.

dman15 wrote:
probably 3 or 4 more [criminals] alive today because [law abiding citizens] didn't have a gun. Last I checked [dead citizens and living criminals] were a good thing:)

Theguy

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
dman15 wrote:
I'll bite; and fix it.

dman15 wrote:
probably 3 or 4 more [criminals] alive today because [law abiding citizens] didn't have a gun. Last I checked [dead citizens and living criminals] were a good thing:)

Well said, brass magnet