• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT HELP NEEDED-Call Gov. Richardson

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Please contact Gov. Richardson ASAP and thank him for his support of the Second Amendment and request he sign Senate Bill 40 into law. You can E-MAIL HIM on his web site or CALL HIS OFFICE - (505) 476-2200. Snail mail him at

Office of the Governor
490 Old Santa Fe Trail
Room 400
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Example:

Governor Richardson,

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your support of our rights under the Second Amendment. I am aware of the provisions recently passed in SB40, which you messaged into the short session making it GERMANE to the sessionfor us. I believe those to be common sense provisions to public safety, a licensees right to personal protection in public and the prevention of firearms theft from unattended, locked vehicles. I urge you to further show your support for the Second Amendment in New Mexico by signing SB40 into law.

Respectfully,

Steve Aikens

snoball

imported post

DONE.

How long does the Governor have to sign the bill?

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

If not in session, the governor has 20 calendar days to take action. If he does not meet this deadline, the bill becomes law. If it is vetoed, it is dead until the next session.

Steve Aikens

DocNTexas

imported post

steveaikens wrote:
If not in session, the governor has 20 calendar days to take action. If he does not meet this deadline, the bill becomes law. If it is vetoed, it is dead until the next session.

Steve Aikens

Since it will become law whether he signs it or not,I take itthe real point here isto convince him not to veto it.

Anyway, I am glad to see you guys finally managed to get this one passed. Good work!

Doc

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

After re-reading our Constitution, the 20 day period only applies to bills forwarded to him during the session. This bill, as most others this session, was presented to him during the last three days of the session. It DOES require his signature to become law. That's the reason the date received is shown on the Governors site on action taken on bills.

http://www.governor.state.nm.us/legislative/2010legislation/senate/signed_bills.php

Here's the effective section of the New Mexico Constitution, Article IV, Section 22.

Every bill passed by the legislature shall, before it becomes a law, be presented to the governor for approval. If he approves, he shall sign it, and deposit it with the secretary of state; otherwise, he shall return it to the house in which it originated, with his objections, which shall be entered at large upon the journal; and such bill shall not become a law unless thereafter approved by two-thirds of the members present and voting in each house by yea and nay vote entered upon its journal. Any bill not returned by the governor within three days, Sundays excepted, after being presented to him, shall become a law, whether signed by him or not, unless the legislature by adjournment prevent such return. Every bill presented to the governor during the last three days of the session shall be approved by him within twenty days after the adjournment and shall be by him immediately deposited with the secretary of state. Unless so approved and signed by him such bill shall not become a law. The governor may in like manner approve or disapprove any part or parts, item or items, of any bill appropriating money, and such parts or items approved shall become a law, and such as are disapproved shall be void unless passed over his veto, as herein provided.

Read more: http://vlex.com/vid/governor-s-approval-or-veto-of-bills-309863#ixzz0hP9wlqVz

Sorry for any confusion. I'm old and don't read well......

Steve Aikens

snoball

imported post

Here is from the Albuquerque Journal this afternoon:

"The legislation, which was sought by the National Rifle Association, was opposed by the New Mexico Restaurant Association over liability concerns.

Though he signed the bill (SB40), Richardson also ordered the state's Department of Public Safety to revise its regulations to make it clear that drinking alcohol while carrying a concealed weapon is against the law.

Additionally, concealed carry licensees still won't be able to take their guns into a bar or into restaurants with full liquor licenses.

"As the governor of a Western state, I know well the deep feelings that come with such a measure, but I also understand those feelings and beliefs must be tempered by the enactment of certain safeguards," Richardson said in a statement.

The bill will take effect July 1."

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

• March 9, 2010

SENATE EXECUTIVE MESSAGE NO. ___

The Honorable Timothy Z. Jennings

President Pro Tempore

New Mexico Senate

State Capitol Bldg.

Santa Fe, NM 87501

Honorable President Pro Tempore:

I have this day SIGNED:

SENATE BILL 40 which was enacted during the Forty-Ninth Legislature, Second Session, 2010.

My decision to sign this bill came after much contemplation and thought. Strong opinions were expressed to me both for and against Senate Bill 40. Our State’s citizens recognize the rights created by the Constitutions of the United States and New Mexico but such recognition is also couched with public safety concerns for everyday citizens, business owners, and law enforcement officials alike. It is those concerns that I hope can be allayed by further Executive action.

Under current New Mexico statute and regulation, there is no clear and explicit prohibition on the consumption of alcohol while carrying a concealed weapon. I believe such prohibition is warranted and reasonable. As such, I hereby direct the New Mexico Department of Public Safety to begin the public process of reviewing and revising its regulations to make clear that the consumption of alcohol while carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited. I further invite the Legislature to consider the introduction of legislation in the future that would make such prohibition unequivocal in statute.

As the Governor of a western State, I know well the deep feelings that come with a measure such as Senate Bill 40. My enactment of this law recognizes those feelings and beliefs but must be tempered by the enactment of certain safeguards.

Respectfully yours,

Bill Richardson

Governor

RECEIVED FROM THE OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR:

Time:__________a.m./p.m. by:

Date:___________2010

Chief Clerk of the Senate

Time:___________a.m./p.m. by:

Date:___________2010

Secretary of State
--

Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM

http://www.handgunlaw.us
http://www.nm-ccw.com
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Certified Instructor
NM DPS Approved Instructor
AZ DPS Approved Instructor

Anubis

imported post

When does this bill go into effect?

Also, can anyone name restaurants that serve only beer and wine? I am coming through New Mexico next week.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Effective July 1st, 2010. Won't help you next week.

Name647 restaurants here - you're joking - right? :what:

Pretty simple to find out. If they sell any alcohol other than beer and wine - the answer is no. OR, you can go to the Division of Alcohol and Gaming and look at the area you plan to travel for licensees.

Steve Aikens.

Anubis

imported post

steveaikens wrote:
Name647 restaurants here - you're joking - right? :what:

Pretty simple to find out. If they sell any alcohol other than beer and wine - the answer is no.
You know exactly how many there are, but don't want to name even 1. :) OK.

Seriously, for after July 1... If one is looking at the outside of a restaurant, contemplating entry, of course he can look for a no-guns sign. But how can one tell whether no alcohol is sold there, or only beer and wine?

Around here, I know of chains of restaurants serving all forms of alcohol, and chains that sell no alcohol, but I can't think of even 1 here that sells only beer and wine. From what I recall of previous trips to New Mexico, seems like that would be the case there also.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You want 1.? Sure, no problem-o. Dakota's Steakhouse, Clovis, NM. Sheesh, why didn't you say that.....:p

Ok, here's the real deal. You can pretty easily eliminate those chain restaurants that are well known for serving alcohol - ie, mixed drinks. Those commonly include Red Lobster, Chili's, Applebee's, Cattle Baron etc. Any restaurant that you may visit that display's any form of signage that promotes full hard liquor - for example, you go to a restaurant and they have a sign up promoting Beefeater's Gin - it's pretty clear you can't go in there with your firearm.

You can also do a search on the Alcohol and Gaming Division's web site. Here's an example of where you can carry after July 1st in Clovis, NM.

http://164.64.87.25/MyLicenseVerification/Search.aspx?facility=Y

DAKOTA'S STEAKHOUSE
CLOVIS NM 88101

FAT BOYS BARBEQUE & MORE
CLOVIS NM 88101

JUANITO'S MEXICAN RESTAURANT
CLOVIS NM 88101

KRIPPLE CREEK RESTAURANT
CLOVIS NM 88101

LEAL'S MEXICAN FOOD RESTAURANT
Clovis NM 88101

LEAL'S MEXICAN FOOD RESTAURANT
CLOVIS NM 88101

MAINLINE BOWL CAFE
CLOVIS NM 88101

PIZZA HUT OF CLOVIS #2
CLOVIS NM 88101

RIB CRIB
Clovis NM 88101

SHOGUN JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE
CLOVIS NM 88101

TAQUERIA JALISCO
Clovis NM 88101

This legislation is in it's infancy folks. It's not perfect. We're working on it. There will be more, hopefully better information at a later date. It takes time.

Steve Aikens.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Great news!

But I still have to stay out of (in ABQ) The County Line up there on Tramway as it has a small barincluding hard liquor...not sure about Flying Star but I think they just serve wine (but I know at least ONE manager there (Wyoming and Paseo del Norte location) almost wet his pants when I asked about their gun policy some time back).

Kind of silly distinguising between the types of alcohol served, though...any of them can produce the same result in people so why the distinction.

-- John D.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Kind of silly distinguising between the types of alcohol served, though...any of them can produce the same result in people so why the distinction.

-- John D.
All I can say to that question, John, is we have a lot of the wrong people in the NM Legislature when it comes to firearms issues and common sense.

I can tell you with some authority that this issue is far from dead to changes in the future.

Steve Aikens

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Thanks, Steve, for all your efforts.

Although you are a relatively new guy hereon this Open Carry Forum, you are a motivated and productive worker for our OC and CC gun rights not justfor NM, but for all the states since any new and "enlightened" gun laws passed in NM could be cited for supporting bills in other state, such as here in"backwards" TX.

-- John D.

DocNTexas

imported post

Steve,

I feel any step forward is good and this is a step forward. At the same time, I am a little let down because I did not read the actual bill and when I heard of it I was under the impression it covered restaurants no matter what they sold. Since I can not thinkof a singlerestaurant that I have ever been to in NM that serves only beer and wine,I do not see thebenefit of this bill, other than it is a step in the right direction and something to build on. I am let down, but optimistically hopeful for the future.

Doc

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Look5 posts up Doc. There's a link to all the alcohol licensees in the state. Look up the city you're going to be in and you can get a list.

Site's pretty intuitive. You should be able to figure it out. With 647 beer and wine licensees, I'd be hard pressed to think you haven't ben in one or more if you've been in NM more than a couple months - or traveled here more than a few times.

Steve AIkens

DocNTexas

imported post

steveaikens wrote:
Look5 posts up Doc. There's a link to all the alcohol licensees in the state. Look up the city you're going to be in and you can get a list.

Site's pretty intuitive. You should be able to figure it out. With 647 beer and wine licensees, I'd be hard pressed to think you haven't ben in one or more if you've been in NM more than a couple months - or traveled here more than a few times.

Steve AIkens

You areprobably right, Steve, thatI am just not aware of them. Most of the places I frequent that serve anythingserve mixed as well, or at least that was my assumption. Not being one whodrinks in public, itcertainly may have just been my assumption that some of these places served mixed drinks. Either way, this bill it is a step forward and I appreciate all the effort. A work in progress, though.

Doc