• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Port Huron St. Patrick's Day Parade

mikestilly

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Don't let the turnout disappoint you, I'm sure it was due to weather. I can usually make events in this area pretty easily, so don't hesitate in the future.

I know you are looking at getting a July 4th parade, if that doesn't fall on the actual 4th, St. Clair usually has a half way decent fireworks show on the 4th. The twon is usually pretty busy all day as well so we could get some good exposure. The worlds longest freshwater boardwalk (at least it was 15 years ago?!?!) is also a public park.

I agree with Jeff. Even though it happened to be on a bad day and I couldn't make it. Normally I would have been able to make it myself. It would have been a vary hard sell to get my family to stand out in the cold rain for many hours on a saturday.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Don't let the turnout disappoint you, I'm sure it was due to weather. I can usually make events in this area pretty easily, so don't hesitate in the future.

I know you are looking at getting a July 4th parade, if that doesn't fall on the actual 4th, St. Clair usually has a half way decent fireworks show on the 4th. The twon is usually pretty busy all day as well so we could get some good exposure. The worlds longest freshwater boardwalk (at least it was 15 years ago?!?!) is also a public park.

So 2A rights only apply in ideal weather conditions when its easy to do. It wasn't raining inside the gun store or in the restaurant. Both businesses changed their beliefs to support us. We have had good press and nobody shows up. I am disappointed. What are we just a dinner group?

mikestilly

imported post

Well I do know that not every event is going to be a home run even though we would like them to be. To think otherwise you will be continually disappointed. These parades for me specifically were on horrible days which I had preexisting plans that I could not change. I know I wasn't the only one who would have gone but for scheduling conflicts. It's always more up in the air when events are planned posted on a open forum and mainly word of mouth. Also if you look at the thread nobody posted they were for sure going. I'd say that it's a good sign that turnout was going to be extremely limited to none.

autosurgeon

imported post

Yep this was like last year when I did the first OC seminar. I had 7 show up and 4 of those were folks that currently OC. however I don't count it as a failure BC it proved that seminars work. The people that did show up really liked it and it gave me a chance to see that if better advertised it could really work.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Yep this was like last year when I did the first OC seminar. I had 7 show up and 4 of those were folks that currently OC. however I don't count it as a failure BC it proved that seminars work. The people that did show up really liked it and it gave me a chance to see that if better advertised it could really work.

Event was on 3 different websites, 1 radio station, and the local newspaper. Citizens showed up MOC didn't.

autosurgeon

imported post

And you know what we are all volunteers and cannot always do everything at the same time as each other.

It so happened that I was attending an event in my jurisdiction. You know Brian didn't go to every event when he was President either. You have to realize that everyone can only give the time that they have available after doing their job and taking care of their families!

You may have more flexibility as you are self employed. However those of us that have a boss are not so blessed. And regardless our jobs must come first esp. in this economy and job market!

I have been involved in many volunteer organizations and you just have to realize that not everyone will be able to give the same amount of time nor will everyone's schedules mesh!

Finally just BC the current president is fairly local to these events does not mean that he MUST attend them. And sorry when a person has homework that has to come first as you have paid for that class!

I will get off my soapbox now Scott... and say I am sorry you are frustrated but you have to relax and take a deep breath. When you are dealing with volunteers this stuff will happen! Wooo Saaa get those pressure points!