• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just signed up for concealed

S

scubabeme

imported post

What would be refreshing is to hear of someone conducting such training presenting a balanced "diet" of informationregarding OC vs. CC without injecting hearsay and personal opinion. My own training included statements to the effect thatOC will get one arrested for "brandishing" and subsequently losing their permit because it is a felony. The trainer is former LEO, so his opinion held some weight with the class. I decided to check it out on my own and, happily,found this forum.

I'd like to hear, you know, something along the lines of (also drawing on a heated discussion on another thread here):

"More and morepeople are also openly carrying their handguns, which according to the most widely held interpretation ofCO and localstatutes is perfectly legal anywhere it's legal to carry a weapon at all, with the exception of Denver City/County and those places properly posted with signage prohibiting it. Some believe it to be 'over the top', 'wild wild west', or 'cowboy' to do so. Some believe that many metro area municipalities' ordinances place them in the same realm as Denver in it's complete ban on open carry. My opinion on the matter is my own, and I won't share it here. I will neither encourage it nor discourage it. The choice is up to you, research the statutes yourself, read the ordinances yourself, then decide if it's for you. You can find many resources in the Internet to help you make this decision. Regardless of your decision, there are many places where CC is your only legal option for being armed, among them are..."

That preserves the perception that a CHP is "necessary" and the resultant need for the current training. (Which I would think wouldbe why a lot of instructors don't present OC as legal--people wouldn't need their class!)

[/b]Hmmm.... Maybe I should get certified as an instructor. I've already had people assume I was an instructor when I washelping relatives shoot for the first time. (I was a technical school instructor in the USAF for several years, so I've had some experience training people) Shouldn't be too hard to dothen, right?

dmpowder

imported post

What class was this? I live in a small town about 2 hrs from Denver I would like to take a class that has range time but most of the ones I have seen are 8 hr class or 2 day class! The closest one would be from RMGO but it is just a 4 hr class talk and no range time? Is RMGO a good class to take?

cscitney87

imported post

dmpowder wrote:
What class was this? I live in a small town about 2 hrs from Denver I would like to take a class that has range time but most of the ones I have seen are 8 hr class or 2 day class! The closest one would be from RMGO but it is just a 4 hr class talk and no range time? Is RMGO a good class to take?
http://www.coloradoweaponstraining.com/

Class was held near the intersection of Kilping Pkwy and 1st, Lakewood.

Really funny to because the range time was at The Silver Bullet, Off 38th, in Wheat Ridge.. The place was okay- very cramped inside the actual shooting range. The staff was friendly and man was it a popular spot- lots of people in and out.

The CCW class at The Silver Bullet was $175 and when staff asked us how much we paid- we said $110-

cscitney87

imported post

The second instructor- for our class- is an Iraq Veteran. He served a few years ago and is a young guy- most likely under 30.

Well he went into "things to do while waiting for the permit" and suggested to the class that one may not carry until the permit is secured. I about fell out of my seat.

Pace- you're 110% correct- in fact the ONLY Constitutionally protected method of carry is open carry. Specifically- the Constitution states that Concealed Carry is not protected in any way. I just wanted to scream that one but didn't.

Pace

imported post

Getting a NRA instructors "patch" isn't that hard. It's a 2 day course, and it's complete and total retardation.

When I taught defensive tactics, I would teach police, some of the firearms instructors. None of them had any idea how to do close quarter combat drawing. IF you know anyone in Swat they will tell you that they RELEARN everything they were taught in police academy and throw it out the door.

I feel the same goes for most CCW instructors. They teach the bullshit they read int he 50 year old books that the NRA gives them. Almost all teach the same BS method of "target shooting"

cscitney87 wrote:
The second instructor- for our class- is an Iraq Veteran. He served a few years ago and is a young guy- most likely under 30.

Well he went into "things to do while waiting for the permit" and suggested to the class that one may not carry until the permit is secured. I about fell out of my seat.

Pace- you're 110% correct- in fact the ONLY Constitutionally protected method of carry is open carry. Specifically- the Constitution states that Concealed Carry is not protected in any way. I just wanted to scream that one but didn't.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scubabeme wrote:
Misdemeanor shouldn't hurt your ability to get a "Concealed Handgun Permit" (as it's technically known).

In Jeffco it really is as easy as it sounds--provided there's no reason to deny it. I went in, turned in the application, they took copies of the safety class certificate, took my money, electronically fingerprinted me and I was on my way. It did take nearly the full 90 days before I got the call to come pick it up.

Perhaps that explains why, 60 days after applying, I have received anything in the mail or received any phone calls...

I may call them tomorrow.

cscitney87

imported post

My Misd. charge was for DWAI when I was 20. It's nothing to be feared- at all. Felonies and Only felonies will stop the process. Since9- I hope all is well in your process. Best wishes.

cscitney87

cscitney87

imported post

I see that Jeffco labels the permit as a CCW. Other publications label the permit as a CHP. Concealed Handgun Permit or Concealed Carry of Weapon? I'm 100% sure that I can only carry a handgun with my permit, but why such a variance on the name? Why is the permit labeled CCW and CHP? The Jeffco CCW label is a bit misleading as weapons, in general, are not allowed to be concealed- only handguns.

S

scubabeme

imported post

It is misleading as Jeffco actually issues a CHP just like everyone else. They probably use CCW on the website because that's how most people refer to it.

desettle

imported post

scubabeme wrote:
It is misleading as Jeffco actually issues a CHP just like everyone else. They probably use CCW on the website because that's how most people refer to it.
In Douglas county, the permits state "Concealed Weapons Permit", not CCW or CHP. Strange. :shock:But it all means the same thing, as far as the state is concerned.

cscitney87

imported post

Just turned in my application, cert, and dollars. The new Jeffco fingerprinting tech. is really fast and easy. You get your hand sprayed with a mist of water and then you simply touch a piece of glass on a computer and it's all done. I thought that was cool. I was expecting ink and paper- haha!

Anyway I asked about the time- I was told definitely 90 days. Apparently there have been upwards of 50 people a day lining up for CHPs at Jeffco. I was told that just before Obama was sworn in- people lined up like NEVER before. Lady said there was a line out the door!

There were three other people, two gentlemen, and a woman, who were also applying today.

Whole thing took 30 minutes from the time I stepped into the building to the time I drove away.

Very very excited right now! :dude: 90 days!? :banghead: lol

cscitney87

imported post

If another state's law provides for concealing other weapons- I may do so with my Colorado permit, correct? As a permit is a permit... So if, say I am in Michigan (reciprocity) and Michigan State law allows for long knives or whatever- I could do it. In another State-I'm not limited to handguns only-even though handguns are the only allowable weapon in Colorado?

I would like some opinions on that because I don't see why I wouldn't be able to follow the Michigan state law while in Michigan and carry whatever their laws allow? I wonder if the reciprocity is limited to only handguns in some states? All good questions...

btw I don't know specifically about Michigan just an Example.

Pace

imported post

Nope. You still have to follow the law. If concealing knives are illegal in CO, you may not do it.

There are issues with some states that have reciprocity but do not allow certain types of handguns.

cscitney87 wrote:
If another state's law provides for concealing other weapons- I may do so with my Colorado permit, correct? As a permit is a permit... So if, say I am in Michigan (reciprocity) and Michigan State law allows for long knives or whatever- I could do it. In another State-I'm not limited to handguns only-even though handguns are the only allowable weapon in Colorado?

I would like some opinions on that because I don't see why I wouldn't be able to follow the Michigan state law while in Michigan and carry whatever their laws allow? I wonder if the reciprocity is limited to only handguns in some states? All good questions...

btw I don't know specifically about Michigan just an Example.

cscitney87

imported post

Anyone know which number I will get called from for Jeffco? Specifically does anyone know the actual digits? Or will I get a call from "Restricted" ?

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
But then he dropped some bombshells!

He literally told our class that OC is "wild wild west" style like a "cowboy" and even did a little hand gesture like a quick draw from the hip. I put my hand in my face. He then went on to say that if the entire class were to leave with their guns on their hips- there would be emergency legislation to ban it. I was furious at this point- obviously he doesn't realize that in Colorado, open carry is more popular than concealed- IE Hunting! It's not like we jam our rifles in our shorts while tailing deer.
Was his name Jose'? Regardless, what a noob/throwback/maroon (take your pick).

cscitney87 wrote:
Since9- I hope all is well in your process. Best wishes.
Thanks! It is - arrived in the mail yesterday. Apparently, the procedure here in El Paso County is a tad different than elsewhere. Here you get fingerprinted and your picture taken on the day you turn in your paperwork and hand over your funds. Then, unless you qualify for one of the reasons for denial, it's mailed to you.

cscitney87 wrote:
Anyway I asked about the time- I was told definitely 90 days. Apparently there have been upwards of 50 people a day lining up for CHPs at Jeffco. I was told that just before Obama was sworn in- people lined up like NEVER before. Lady said there was a line out the door!
Very very excited right now! :dude: 90 days!? :banghead: lol
Interestingly, while I applying I asked how long I should expect the process to take, and was told "six to eight weeks, though it's a max of ninety days." So, at the eighth week point, I called, was informed the background check had come back clean, and that it was on the sheriff's desk for review. I asked, "ok, how much longer, now?" and was told, "90 days from the date of application."

It arrived three days later, :lol:. Thanks, guardian angel. :)

cscitney87

imported post

Do Colorado State Parks or Open Space allow a person to carry a handgun?
Only if you are a valid permit holder and carry concealed. You must not carry in an open fashion.

Colorado Constitution Article II, Section 13
Right to Bear Arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power when hereto legally summoned, shall be called into question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.
[line]Does anybody else think that finding those two paragraphs on the same page is extremely ironic? Wouldn't those two sentences Contradict each other?

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/sheriff/sheriff_T62_R126.htm

Ugh!