Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB334 Passes the House

Post imported post

SB334 just passed the House so its on to the Gov!!

Post imported post

Yep I was getting ready to post this but you beat me to it.

Post imported post

Anyone know how long until it takes affect, after the Gov signs it of course?

Post imported post

Should take effect July 1

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Anyone know how long until it takes affect, after the Gov signs it of course?
    Signed or unsigned as long as its not vetoed it goes into effect July 1, 2010.

Post imported post

Anyone have the list of who voted yes and no? It's not listed on the VA general assemble website yet.

Post imported post

here's the voting breakdown

YEAS--Abbitt, Albo, Alexander, Anderson, Armstrong, Athey, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Bulova, Byron, Carrico, Cleaveland, Cline, Cole, Comstock, Cosgrove, Cox, J.A., Cox, M.K., Crockett-Stark, Dance, Edmunds, Garrett, Gear, Gilbert, Greason, Griffith, Howell, A.T., Hugo, Iaquinto, Ingram, Janis, Joannou, Johnson, Jones, Keam, Kilgore, Knight, Landes, Lewis, Lingamfelter, Lohr, Loupassi, Marshall, D.W., Marshall, R.G., Massie, Merricks, Miller, J.H., Morefield, Morgan, Nixon, Nutter, O'Bannon, Oder, Orrock, Peace, Phillips, Pogge, Poindexter, Pollard, Purkey, Putney, Scott, E.T., Sherwood, Shuler, Sickles, Stolle, Tata, Villanueva, Ware, O., Ware, R.L., Wright, Mr. Speaker--72.

NAYS--Abbott, BaCote, Barlow, Brink, Carr, Ebbin, Englin, Herring, Hope, James, Kory, LeMunyon, May, McClellan, McQuinn, Miller, P.J., Morrissey, Plum, Rust, Scott, J.M., Spruill, Surovell, Torian, Toscano, Tyler, Ward, Watts--27.

ABSTENTIONS--0.

NOT VOTING--0.

Post imported post

brokerbh wrote:
    here's the voting breakdown

ABSTENTIONS--0.

NOT VOTING--0.
    That's a pleasant surprise, at least they all had the courage to take a stand one way or the other...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

I can't believe some republicans actually voted against it. Any suggestions for an email to send them to let them know we are disappointed they don't believe in their second amendment rights?

Post imported post

Perhaps mail them each a spent casing (not from one of your own guns) and let them know that their "nay" is worth about as much to the law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth.

Point of note: HB505/505H1 has been referred to the Senate Special Committee.

Don't they have to coincide and then be presented?

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Anyone know how many states currently allow this? I was thinking it was 39 but wasn't sure. I want to make sure I'm right before I tell anyone a number.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Perhaps mail them each a spent casing (not from one of your own guns) and let them know that their "nay" is worth about as much to the law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth.

Point of note: HB505/505H1 has been referred to the Senate Special Committee.

Don't they have to coincide and then be presented?
    So does that really even matter since SB334 passed both the house and senate? Can't they just let the HB505 die? Or is SB334 in jeopardy here?

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    Anyone know how many states currently allow this? I was thinking it was 39 but wasn't sure. I want to make sure I'm right before I tell anyone a number.
    I counted 41 states that allow some kind of concealed carry into restaurants, but I noticed that the NRA is only listing 40 :?

Centurion

Post imported post

OakRidgeStars wrote:
    hometheaterman wrote:
    I counted 41 states that allow some kind of concealed carry into restaurants, but I noticed that the NRA is only listing 40 :?
    HB 505 will have no affect on SB 334. If it passes, fine, if not, fine.

Post imported post

About time.

Centurion

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    About time.
    Tell me about it.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    I think I'll think of something else...even with a letter explaining the purpose of the brass case, all they (and the media) will see is OMG GUN THREAT!!!!

Post imported post

Yea that doesn't sound like such a good idea to me. I can't decide if I want to write them a letter letting them know that I wasn't happy to hear they didn't support 2nd amendment rights or if I just want to leave it alone.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    About time.
    Tell me about it.
    The bill also does not include the silly requirement to inform the restaurant manager we are cc'ing either which, IIRC, was in a similar bill last year.

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    About time.
    Tell me about it.
    The bill also does not include the silly requirement to inform the restaurant manager we are cc'ing either which, IIRC, was in a similar bill last year.
    or to wear an identifying pin or sticker like the Nazis made the Jews wear.

Post imported post

Just heard on the news, "The guy next to you at the bar could be packing heat."

NEWSFLASH- There are no BARS in VIRGINIA

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Just heard on the news, "The guy next to you at the bar could be packing heat."

NEWSFLASH- There are no BARS in VIRGINIA
    OH NOES! Don't change "may issue" to "shall issue" or there will be blood in the streets!

OH NOES! Don't let the AWB expire or there will be blood in the streets!

OH NOES! Don't let Heller win or there will be blood in the streets!

OH NOES! Don't let people carry concealed in restaurants that serve booze or there will be blood in the streets!

Did all the blood get off on the 3rd floor, cause I'm just not seeing the streets run with anything but snow melt-off.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    SNIP NEWSFLASH- There are no BARS in VIRGINIA
    There may not be any bars in the saloon sense. But, there are plenty of bars in restaurants and hotels in Virginia.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    SNIP NEWSFLASH- There are no BARS in VIRGINIA
    There may not be any bars in the saloon sense. But, there are plenty of bars in restaurants and hotels in Virginia.
    Touche

Post imported post

How many of you launched an email to your Senator to support SB 334 and received a response like mine...as you can surmise, my elected Senator voted for oppression vice freedom...

"SB 334, sponsored by Sen. Hanger, allows a person with a concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of a restaurant or club and prohibits such person from consuming alcoholic beverages while on the premises. SB 334 passed in the Senate with a vote of 22-Y 18-N.

As your representative in the Virginia State Senate, I recognize the importance of your concerns. I share your support for our Second Amendment rights and, as an avid hunter, outdoorsman, and member of the NRA, I am committed to ensuring that I can pass this legacy on to my children and grandchildren. I thank you for your advocacy in this area. For this reason, I strongly supported all but one of the Senate Bills that strengthened and protected our Second Amendment rights.

Although SB 334 passed, it was the only gun bill that I voted against. Numerous local business owners and their employees shared with me their worries that this legislation would be misconstrued to reflect poorly on the tourism industry that is vitial to our region. Considering the economic challenges facing our region as well as citizens' current ability to openly carry firearms in restaurants, I felt it unwise to move forward with this legislation."

In my original VCDL recommended email, I asked that he not cater to the liquor industry, but to his law abiding constituents. Well, once again, easy to see who Senator Tommy Norment really supports.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast