• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looked down the barrel of a 1911 this morning

Trigger Dr

imported post

Kenshin,

I would suggest you copy and send this along with your demand for an apology and issuance of a training bulletin. You might want to do this by e mail with a copy saved and send the written document registered signed receipt requested.

Lammo

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
sirpuma wrote:
(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

I think this is the part you're missing. Public access areas of law enforcement areas are ok for OC.
Oh god...not another argument about what the "or" applies to! Lammo? GSXtasy?
I'mgoing to leave this one completely alone LT. LOL!!!!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kenshin wrote:
So, now I have two problems/questions. I have to gather some additional information from my bank and turn it into the sheriff's, which means I have to go back to the department. Should I carry/not carry, OC/CC? I think I already know what I'm going to do but always love to hear others opinions as well. Also, I would usually not think twice about filing a complaint with the department and the officers, but seeing as how they're investigating the fraud for me, I'm wondering if filing a complaint would negatively effect my case and the ability to get my money reimbursed (which I need for rent). Thoughts or opinions?

I'd recommend:

1. That you file a formal complaint immediately.

2. That you consult with a private attorney.

3. That you neither OC/CC when you go back--unless you have cleared it with the top guy.

How much money is involved with the credit card fraud? Why are you even worried about that?

Kildars

imported post

I'd be talking to a private attorney. You were illegally detained, your property was seized, and you had a firearm pulled on you. Imagine if the reverse were true, Imagine if a police officer entered your place of work and you pulled a firearm on them.

1245A Defender

imported post

HankT wrote:
kenshin wrote:
So, now I have two problems/questions. I have to gather some additional information from my bank and turn it into the sheriff's, which means I have to go back to the department. Should I carry/not carry, OC/CC? I think I already know what I'm going to do but always love to hear others opinions as well. Also, I would usually not think twice about filing a complaint with the department and the officers, but seeing as how they're investigating the fraud for me, I'm wondering if filing a complaint would negatively effect my case and the ability to get my money reimbursed (which I need for rent). Thoughts or opinions?

I'd recommend:

1. That you file a formal complaint immediately.

2. That you consult with a private attorney.

3. That you neither OC/CC when you go back--unless you have cleared it with the top guy.

How much money is involved with the credit card fraud? Why are you even worried about that?
oh come on hank he is pretty clear on that point!

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Go back, OC, bring a friend with a vid camera or better yet, bring a lawyer with you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
Yes, of course. Stop exercising your rights simply because it made someone uncomfortable. Certainly.... Anytime LEO hassles us for our perfectly legal behavior, protected by the Constitution of Washington state and protected by state statute we should stop that behavior. :X

Never mind that the officers were likely guilty of assault with a deadly weapon and coercion.

No, not never mind the officer malfeasance. Where do you read that, NLT? Re-read the first two suggestions in my post.

What is your recommendation/advice, NLT, on the going back part? What do you think is agood idea for kenshin on that issue?

kenshin

imported post

Well, I took some extra time off work to go back to my bank and get the required documents and delivered them to the sheriff. I did OC, and had my recorder running just in case anything else happened. Nothing did. The receptionist just took my paperwork and put it in my case file.

While I was there, I also attempted to file a complaint. Neither the sergeants or the lieutenant were there at the moment, so I left my name and number for one of them to contact me back at. At least this gives me a little extra time to prepare my arguments.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

1245A Defender

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Well, I took some extra time off work to go back to my bank and get the required documents and delivered them to the sheriff. I did OC, and had my recorder running just in case anything else happened. Nothing did. The receptionist just took my paperwork and put it in my case file.

While I was there, I also attempted to file a complaint. Neither the sergeants or the lieutenant were there at the moment, so I left my name and number for one of them to contact me back at. At least this gives me a little extra time to prepare my arguments.

i gotta say,,,, im damn proud of you right now!!:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

kenshin

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
kenshin wrote:

i gotta say,,,, im damn proud of you right now!!:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate
Thank you. Man, I was nervous as hell going back in there though. :(

malichite

imported post

as an employee of a financial institution I can unequivocally state that LEO does not do ANY fraud investigation whatsoever. ANY AND ALL involvement by LEO is purely for record keeping and to prove to insurance companies (the bank's not your's) that you truly (by signing a sworn statement) experienced a loss.... sue the pants off them.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
Yes, of course. Stop exercising your rights simply because it made someone uncomfortable. Certainly.... Anytime LEO hassles us for our perfectly legal behavior, protected by the Constitution of Washington state and protected by state statute we should stop that behavior. :X

Never mind that the officers were likely guilty of assault with a deadly weapon and coercion.

No, not never mind the officer malfeasance. Where do you read that, NLT? Re-read the first two suggestions in my post.

What is your recommendation/advice, NLT, on the going back part? What do you think is agood idea for kenshin on that issue?
I think it is a good idea for kenshin to do exactly what he did. Not change a thing. HIS BEHAVIOR WAS LEGAL, HANK! Why the hell should he change his LEGAL behavior because it pissed off a couple of cops?

Yes! It is legal and returning in his normal OC was is correct! Recorder in hand. Witness or video would be even better. If they repeat there mistake then the more power to kenshin. If they don't repeat then it shows that the first time was total BS.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

Yes! It is legal and returning in his normal OC was is correct! Recorder in hand. Witness or video would be even better. If they repeat there mistake then the more power to kenshin. If they don't repeat then it shows that the first time was total BS.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Bingo, their intimidation didn't work. They also may have gotten their buts chewed out by someone of higher command. "YOU DID WHAT!!!!!".

Oh and you don't have to talk to an officer to file a complaint that is a standard line of bull that many LEA's give. They have forms, they just want to discourage you from using them.

kenshin

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Damn! I'm just reading this now. I wish I had read it earlier, because I would have GLADLY returned with you.

kenshin, you're the best. Great job!
Thanks Ajet, you helped me before with my last incident and I know you would have helped here as well.

Maybe you can go with me when I go back in to speak with the sergeant. ;)

kenshin

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Oh and you don't have to talk to an officer to file a complaint that is a standard line of bull that many LEA's give. They have forms, they just want to discourage you from using them.
Thanks SVG, I didn't know that. I thought you had to speak with someone.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Three things...

The way things "Should" be, the way would "Like" them to be, and the way things "Are".

malichite wrote:
as an employee of a financial institution I can unequivocally state that LEO does not do ANY fraud investigation whatsoever. ANY AND ALL involvement by LEO is purely for record keeping and to prove to insurance companies (the bank's not your's) that you truly (by signing a sworn statement) experienced a loss.... sue the pants off them.

As an employee of a law enforcement agency I can unequivocally state that you are WRONG. They may not investigate all fraud/ID theft case, but many are depending on what information and leads are available.

While functionally, the greatest use of the reports we take are the bank and insurance documentation, that is NOT what the reason the are taken. We really could care less about providing documentation for their files. In fact, some agencies will decline to take reports in many fraud cases because the bank's customer is NOT the victim, the bank or an involved merchant is.

King County SO does take these cases, as a courtesy for our citizens since most banks don't want to be bothered to file a report of what the bank is actually a victim of. They have already lost the money and they see paying an employee's hourly wage to report it as an additional "loss". They would much rather sub-contract that work out to the customer who are usually happy to do it on an unpaid volunteer basis.

By law, banks can't refuse to refund the money if a customer doesn't make a report. They can only refuse to pay if they show the customer didn't adequately protect thier info (such as giving out PIN or writing it on the back of the ATM card) or they come up with something that suggests the customer was involved in perpetrating the fraud.

We take the reports to document the crime, capture the statistics, investigate when possible, and connect similar crimes to suspects. Occasionally someone will get stopped and have some incriminating evidence on them, that evidence is then able to create a paper trail connecting them to other crimes. That wouldn't be the case with out the reports. In fact the reports we take are frequently for something OTHER than the fraud. For instance, if your account statement is stolen from the mail and there is subsequent fraud, we will generally take a "Mail Theft" report and simply note in it that there was associated fraud.

As to trying to file a complaint or press charges under 9.41.270 against the Officer's for drawing on you while giving verbal commands, here is why that isn't going to work...

RCW 9.41.270...
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

Right or wrong, they were acting in their capacity as police officers' and so long as they were in accordance with their policies, procedures, training, etc. They are not going to face any criminal charges, even if it is later determined that such training, policies, etc. were wrong or improper. For pretty much ANY crime, there has to be intent, their intent was to do their duty (even if misguided).

Heck, 3(a) might even apply as being in their "Fixed place of business". While it may be a great fantasy to try and press charges. It is just that, a fantasy. Ain't gonna happen in the real world, no one is going to take a criminal complaint on it and no prosecutor is going to pursue charges.

Your recourse is to sue for damages civilly if you wish, or try and educate the agency involved (or both).

Believe it or not, most agencies and most cops aren't driven to crush the rights of citizens. They respond how they have been trained, or in absence of specific training they make split second decisions. They don't have the luxury of time and debate in many situations. Sometimes they are wrong, but the primary concern is to gain control of the situation, defuse it and try to keep everybody involved safe. The rest can be sorted out later, and my experience is when they do screw up they take responsibility for it and make changes to keep it from happening again.

I've found that in most, if not all, facets of life more things are gained through cooperative action than through adversarial means.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
...Oh and you don't have to talk to an officer to file a complaint that is a standard line of bull that many LEA's give. They have forms, they just want to discourage you from using them.
That depends on the agency involved, different agencies have different complaint processes. 17+ years with my employer and I have yet to see or hear of a complaint form that can just be filled out by joe citizen.

Maybe it should be that simple, many people might certainly like it to be that simple, but it just ain't the way it is...