• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC News: Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gun-owners-tout-open-carry-rights/story?id=9981534

SNIP

Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'

As Starbucks Gun Controversy Boils, Open Carry Movement Shoots Into Spotlight
. . .

While the Starbucks controversy may soon force more businesses to confront their gun-carry policies -- retail analyst Lori Wachs says that, until now, most chains have opted to avoid the hot button issue -- it's also raising the profile of the open carry movement and groups like OpenCarry.org.

The online community claims at least 26,000 members. OpenCarry.org co-founder Mike Stollenwerk said he and fellow Virginian John Pierce started the Web site in 2004.

. . .

Scrub

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gun-owners-tout-open-carry-rights/story?id=9981534

SNIP

Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'

As Starbucks Gun Controversy Boils, Open Carry Movement Shoots Into Spotlight
. . .

While the Starbucks controversy may soon force more businesses to confront their gun-carry policies -- retail analyst Lori Wachs says that, until now, most chains have opted to avoid the hot button issue -- it's also raising the profile of the open carry movement and groups like OpenCarry.org.

The online community claims at least 26,000 members. OpenCarry.org co-founder Mike Stollenwerk said he and fellow Virginian John Pierce started the Web site in 2004.

. . .
I think Ed must have done a great job on the interview for the article to come out like it did. IMHO this article is one of the more fair representation of open carriers that I have seen lately.

Statesman

imported post

Meanwhile, two chains in addition to Peet's, California Pizza Kitchen and California-based Buckhorn Grill, have said they're banning guns at their stores.
Not an intelligent move there guys. Could you please post this on your front door to warn your patrons of your complete and utter disregard for their safety and their lives? That, or you can pay for an armed security guard during business hours.

Thanks!

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Levine's 12-year-old daughter Brooke has been trained to use her own gun, a .22LR Caliber pistol. When the pair are together and someone asks her father why he's packing, Levine says Brooke has a ready answer: In a takeoff of a Mastercard commercial, Brooke points to the gun and says "$1,000" and then points to herself and says "priceless" -- a suggestion that the pretty penny Levine had to spend to buy the gun was worth it to protect his invaluable daughter.
Awesome that that even got printed!

We-the-People

imported post

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Now, I have to ask, has anyone on the pro-carry side started a "counter petition" to the brady bunch whiners petition? It would be quite nice to be able to point to a petition full of signatures of people demanding carry rights be protected.

razor rod

imported post

The new sign for people who don't want open carry,could not of been said
better. It's sounds more like invite for bad's new's for someone to ruin your
day! Well said and hope they get the picture?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We-the-People wrote:
OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Now, I have to ask, has anyone on the pro-carry side started a "counter petition" to the brady bunch whiners petition? It would be quite nice to be able to point to a petition full of signatures of people demanding carry rights be protected.
I think the petition is the patronage. Starbucks just doubled their clientele.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

I think we all need to thank Mike and John for not only starting this site, but for being out there on the front lines instead of just behind the scenes. I know there have been a few threads regarding "Why open carry" or "Is it worth the hassle" and so forth, but John summed it up quite succinctly in this news story when he said:

"By open carrying, we're forcing people to confront the object of their prejudice," he said. "It's just like when gay and lesbian couple express affection in public -- it forces people to realize their friends, their neighbors, their relatives, their loves ones are in fact people who might live differently than they do but they're no less good people and they're no less good citizens."

I think this site and these two guys are effecting REAL change that will benefit us all.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
I think we all need to thank Mike and John for not only starting this site, but for being out there on the front lines instead of just behind the scenes. I know there have been a few threads regarding "Why open carry" or "Is it worth the hassle" and so forth, but John summed it up quite succinctly in this news story when he said:

"By open carrying, we're forcing people to confront the object of their prejudice," he said. "It's just like when gay and lesbian couple express affection in public -- it forces people to realize their friends, their neighbors, their relatives, their loves ones are in fact people who might live differently than they do but they're no less good people and they're no less good citizens."

I think this site and these two guys are effecting REAL change that will benefit us all.
Thanks - its a fine line though - normalizing gun carry thru open carry, but not scary carry. If we stick to properly holstered handguns in daily life, we win, if we can communicate effectively.
Folks can help by thinking thru anytime that they speak on the issue while open carrying, to press, public, city councils etc. - remember, by carrying the handgun openly, everybody is already listening to you and your expressive conduct - all you got to do is calmly say something logical and you win - no need to shout, get emotional, use weird gunnie smarta$$ phrases- focus on the audience, mom and pop and college student public who knows none of your insider buzz words - use short complete sentences - shorten what you say as the news has only a few seconds of time to give you - again, remember the audience, its not your range buddies - don;t tell jokes, just make plain jane statements that shows you can communicate clearly, are part of American mainstream community, could be trusted if somebody needed help at the side of the road, etc.- one liners of logic - e.g., "Yes, I sometimes carry a gun for self-defense." "In our country, Americans have the right to bear arms."

How does one be calm while speaking? it takes practice - you have to relax - get something in your carry hand like an iconic non-alcoholic beverage or if speaking to your audience a stack of 3 by 5 cards with your talking points - even if you don't have any, pretend - envision yourself taking some prozac and how you might appear to people, calm, almost sleepy, unflappable, understanding of other points of view, but always bringing the discussion back to your very reasonable viewpoints.

Sometimes gun people can be our worst public relations enemy - be calm - and be brief, be bright, and be gone - nobody likes listening to repetition or being shouted at - instead of shouting "this council better listen or it will be sued!" just say, "I ask the council to do XYZ and avoid taxpayer liability for litigation that can avoided by acting today."

And dress like a normal middle classadult - no cammo, vests, weird outfits, etc. Have a proper modern holster - leave that wild west getup for range day with your buddies; smile; have some middle class props, like family members, friends, Starbucks coffee in your hand, etc. Talk to the reporter before hand - chat her up on what your talking points are and ask her how they sound to her? this builds a bond right away and often empathy - and as what you said is in her mind, you are playing a jedi mind trick on her and she will ask you questions lending themselves to your answers - you are showing her how to have a successful interview and make her and you look good!

this is communications 101 folks - its painful to see people in the field screw up great opportunities by acting like they are 1960s demonstrators - I think its because they never thought about it.

Stay on message - if asked about obama, say something positive! "President Obama did the right thing by legalizingguns in National Park & on AMTRAK and I hope he keeps it up."

You see what this does? Completely blows away everyone's pre-conceptions of you and makes them listen to your utter reasonableness.

Everybody get it? Communications 101. Jedi mind tricks. Wax on, wax off. Think before even arriving at any event where you might speak and your speaking will.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mike wrote:

Everybody get it? Communications 101. Jedi mind tricks. Wax on, wax off. Think before even arriving at any event where you might speak and your speaking will.
And be open to learn. I have learned many talking points from this site. I have also learned to refrain from making it a left/right issue not hard for me to do since I really don't like the "2 party system" anyway. It is a rights issue no matter what your political viewpoints may be.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:

A lot of stuff
I still recall the days, not very long ago, then the creators of this forum PMed me with a boatload of insults for even suggesting that very thing.

How dare I compare gun-hate to any other form of hate...

And now, they make speeches about it themselves.

I could thank them... I could drill a hole in my head, too. I could do lots of pointless things... including post this message......

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Mike wrote:
Diesel-n-Lead wrote:

A lot of stuff
I still recall the days, not very long ago, then the creators of this forum PMed me with a boatload of insults for even suggesting that very thing.

How dare I compare gun-hate to any other form of hate...

And now, they make speeches about it themselves.

I could thank them... I could drill a hole in my head, too. I could do lots of pointless things... including post this message......
Well being relatively new to the forum, I obviously wasn't here then. I'm not here to take sides, all I know is that John's statement to the media at this particular point in time helps the cause.