• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPR covers the open carry movement

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://wamu.org/news/10/03/02.php#32675
Some Va. Gun Owners Test Limits of 'Open Carry' Rules
March 02, 2010 - Some gun owners in the state of Virginia are making more of an effort to exercise their right to carry unconcealed firearms even into popular retail stores.

Ian Branson a Northern Virginia resident in his 30s, says he goes to Starbucks to do what many customers come to do order something hot to drink. Today its a Vanilla Latte.

The difference between Branson and most other customers is that he is packing heat on his waist as well in the form of a Heckler and Koch HK45 semi-automatic pistol -- holstered, but easy for anyone whos looking to see.

"Just because I have a tool strapped to my belt it doesnt change who I am or what Im doing," Branson says. "I'm going about my private business its the same as carrying a cellphone in my opinion."

Most other customers didnt give Branson a second look. Kevin Tai was busy studying.

"I wouldnt have even noticed if you hadnt brought it to my attention," Tai says.

But not everyone was as neutral. Tamara Carter says a coffee shop isnt the right place for a gun, even if it is legal. "I feel like Im livin the 'country'," Carter says. "You walk around with your gun I dont think thats right"

The state allows businesses to ban guns in their stores if they desire. Starbucks has said it will follow state law and allow customers to carry weapons in states where it is legal.

Jonathan Wilson reports...

IanB

imported post

The reporter added to the story and re-recorded everything:

http://www.wamu.org/news/10/03/02.php#32684

Virginia-Based Gun Rights Movement Gets Renewed National Attention
March 02, 2010 - By Jonathan Wilson

A gun-rights organization based in Virginia is getting national attention, partly because the debate over the right to bear arms is spreading beyond state legislatures and into popular retail stores.

Ian Branson admits he should be wearing a coat in this 30-degree weather, but he says a coat would conceal what he has every right to be carrying openly on his waist: a holstered, Heckler and Koch 45-caliber pistol.

Branson is part of the Open Carry movement. OpenCarry.org was founded by two Virginians in 2004. Branson says carrying the gun is a political statement, but its also more than that.

"Its for protection, I'm not going to lie to you about it," he says. "I was robbed at gunpoint when I was 21 years old, and before that day, I felt like I was Superman."

Branson says the robbery woke him up to the fact that there are what he calls unsavory characters in the world and he wanted to be able to defend himself.

Now he's about about to walk into his local Starbucks, not the first place many would expect to see someone carrying a firearm.

"I expect a total non-event," he says. "I'm going to stroll in, order a cup of Joe, and sit down, and enjoy it with you."

As expected, Branson's gun doesn't get one look from baristas, and other customers are too busy surfing the internet to notice whats holstered at his waist.

But larger Open Carry demonstrations at retailers like Starbucks have caused controversy in other states such as California, where the debate over gun-rights is still front page news.

Virginia law allows licensed gun owners to openly carry weapons, but it also allows retailers to make their own rules about guns.

Starbucks, along with electronics giant Best Buy, has said it will not restrict customers legally carrying firearms.

VApatriot

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Virginia law allows licensed gun owners to openly carry weapons, but it also allows retailers to make their own rules about guns.
Wrong.
Did anyone happen to see the latest episode of NCIS? Some producer took the time to create a fake "Virginia Firearms Owner Licence" that they used in the show. I wanted to hit someone over the head when I saw that. I don't know why I torture myself by sitting through crap like that.:?

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Wrong... for now anyway.:cry:
Virginia law does not "allow" us to openly carry.

Neither does it say anything about being a "licensed gun owner".

Those are the parts I was calling wrong.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Me too.
I just added a possible sunset to the unlicensed gunowner.

Sorry, I'm a little depressed by arguing with some of my peers this week. There are a lot of people in favor of CHP only...most transplants.

I may have to go to church after tomorrow.

Thundar

imported post

Yes, but NPR, in their, politically correct and vehemently progressive world view could not comprehend that one could exercise their fundamental right to bear arms without a government permission slip.

This gets by the NPR crowd, but it certainly isn't getting by SCOTUS.

Thundar

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Wrong.
Did anyone happen to see the latest episode of NCIS? Some producer took the time to create a fake "Virginia Firearms Owner Licence" that they used in the show. I wanted to hit someone over the head when I saw that. I don't know why I torture myself by sitting through crap like that.:?
It gives me the willys.

Imagine some yahoo cop from Louisiana.

Cop: You from Virginia?

Me...yup.

Cop: Nice gun....

Me: Thanks.

Cop: Where is your Virginia Firearms Owners License?.

Me:.. What? There is no such thing.

Cop: I know you need one boy, I seen it on NCIS. Now spread 'em.

If you don't think it could happen in Louisiana ask Mark Edward

jegoodin

imported post

Thundar wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Wrong.
It gives me the willys.

Imagine some yahoo cop from Louisiana.

Cop: You from Virginia?

Me...yup.

Cop: Nice gun....

Me: Thanks.

Cop: Where is your Virginia Firearms Owners License?.

Me:.. What? There is no such thing.

Cop: I know you need one boy, I seen it on NCIS. Now spread 'em.

If you don't think it could happen in Louisiana ask Mark Edward
It would never happen that way in LA. There would be the sound of dueling banjos in the background, he'd call you "boy", and mention something about bending over before he got to the "spread 'em" part.

wylde007

bohdi

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Depends on your perspective and interpretation of the statement.

ufcfanvt

imported post

630 WMAL covered the anti-gun pressure on Starbucks this morning. I'd actually say they leaned to our side a bit.
The only one they interviewed was Mike Stollenwork (sp?) who did very well. Made our argument very well.

darthmord

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Wrong.

If one wishes to mince words, we are all 'licensed' (aftera fashion) by the 2nd Amendment as well as by the Commonwealth of Virginia's Constitution. They both spell out in rather plain language that the People's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

If that isn't license to carry arms, I don't know what is.

wylde007

imported post

darthmord wrote:
If one wishes to mince words, we are all 'licensed' (aftera fashion) by the 2nd Amendment as well as by the Commonwealth of Virginia's Constitution.
I wish not to mince words.

"License" is being granted authority by a governing body. I do not require any license to carry a firearm nor to defend myself.

The Constitutions recognize those rights, they do not grant nor provide license to them.

That is a MAJOR and common misconception regarding rights that scares the crap out of me that so many people hold. The Constitution didn't grant anything. It was a promise from government (in the beginning) not to infringe upon those rights, that they were recognized as existing and unalterable by government.

My, how things have changed, and not for the better.