Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: friend was berated by officer for non-disclosure while not carrying

Post imported post

Sigh,

I got an email from a friend who was pulled over last night for a headlight being out.The officer approached him with his hand on his gun and stayed well back. When the officer returned with the ticket he asked if my friend was carrying and friend told the officerhe was not in possession of a firearm at that time.

The officer then went on his diatribe about how he needs to disclose his CPL and how he could be ticketed for non-disclosure. It seems my friend did the right thing by just shutting up and taking his ticket and not arguing on the side of the road.

We still have a long way to go.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Officers name and department?
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

A complaint needs to be filed against the officer. If he needs help writing it, I'm sure folks here would be happy to help. That includes me.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    I've thoughtabout that situationif I was ever pulled over while not carrying. I've thought about saying "I have my CPL, but I am not carrying at the moment."
    That might be a good CYA, but why should you have to play into LEO's false sense of dictatorship? They NEED to KNOW the law they enforce. I'll never disclose my cpl when I'm unarmed. Law enforcement needs to learn, not be coddled.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Post imported post

This discussion came up in my CPL class. We were told correctly that we do not need to disclose if we were not carrying but it was suggested to disclose anyways as a courtesy to the officer because they will be notified when running your license that you have a CPL.

I myself don't disclose unless I'm forced to. The law itself to have to disclose in the first place doesnt make much sense. Considering we've been deemed safe to carry being forced to be licensed by the state.

Post imported post

cop on a power trip, make a complaint.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    cop on a power trip, make a complaint.
    I agree this officer needs some training. You might want to have him FOIA it and we can put his diatribe on Youtube. Would be a good addition to the list of police on there who are clueless about firearms laws.

Post imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Officers name and department?
    I asked for that in my reply to him. I'm still waiting for a response.

More than likely are either Portage or Kalamazoo City PD. Less likely areKalamazoo County or State PD.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    A complaint needs to be filed against the officer. If he needs help writing it, I'm sure folks here would be happy to help. That includes me.
    I have also suggested this.

Bronson

Post imported post

mikestilly wrote:
    I agree this officer needs some training. You might want to have him FOIA it and we can put his diatribe on Youtube. Would be a good addition to the list of police on there who are clueless about firearms laws.
    Had not thought of that. I'll passthe suggestion on to him.

Bronson

Post imported post

Let him know I strip out the personal info if any is on the FOIA. Would be really interesting to see.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Post imported post

My dad went thru the same thing a few years back when cc was new,not carrying and was pulled over and had the same speech given to him.He should complain!

Banned
    Between the Soo and New Buffalo, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I would complain. Maybe you can get him fired.

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    No one wants him fired. BUT he should be applying the law as written not as he thinks it should be. And it is just possible that he was trained wrong and has not even read the law word for word and just needs to be shown what it really says.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    No one wants him fired. BUT he should be applying the law as written not as he thinks it should be. And it is just possible that he was trained wrong and has not even read the law word for word and just needs to be shown what it really says.
    Well, why not? Get him fired. In fact, I think we should all call and complain based on this important HEARSAY information. I'm sure ALL the officer has is a complete recording (audio and video) of the stop. Fire the cop!

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    Well, why not? Get him fired. In fact, I think we should all call and complain based on this important HEARSAY information. I'm sure ALL the officer has is a complete recording (audio and video) of the stop. Fire the cop!
    Keeps trolling trolling trolling
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    Watch out!!!

You'll get jvanhorn all over your ass too!!!

Post imported post

The cop was wrong. This is how it reads on the MSP website... http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123...0941--,00.html

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately discloseto the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

• Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

• First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    • Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Don't try to make that point to Hombre1 as he his a state police hater.springerdave.

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    Here I have a case of these.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Banned

Post imported post

You guys seem pretty quick to jump on hearsay info as long as it indicts a police officer. Right?

I demand to see a copy of said ticket, the police report and the in-car video or it didn't happen.

Post imported post

I'm sure the video and audio will be distorted or "missing" as soon as someone files a FOIA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast