• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

friend was berated by officer for non-disclosure while not carrying

Outdoorsman

imported post

The cop was wrong. This is how it reads on the MSP website... http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10941--,00.html

[align=left]Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police [/align]

[align=left][size=-1][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:[/font][/font]
[/align]
  1. [font="Arial, Helvetica"]An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately discloseto the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica"]Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica"]First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.[/font]
[/size]

Bailenforcer

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
I would complain. Maybe you can get him fired.
No one wants him fired. BUT he should be applying the law as written not as he thinks it should be. And it is just possible that he was trained wrong and has not even read the law word for word and just needs to be shown what it really says.
Well, why not? Get him fired. In fact, I think we should all call and complain based on this important HEARSAY information. I'm sure ALL the officer has is a complete recording (audio and video) of the stop. Fire the cop!
Keeps trolling trolling trolling
Here I have a case of these.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

You guys seem pretty quick to jump on hearsay info as long as it indicts a police officer. Right?

I demand to see a copy of said ticket, the police report and the in-car video or it didn't happen.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

steve wrote:
I'm sure the video and audio will be distorted or "missing" as soon as someone files a FOIA.
That's because it's a government conspiracy.

Bronson

imported post

It's a moot point as he is not intending to file a complaint at this time. He has his reasons, even though I may not agree with them I will respect them.

The only other info I have is it was a Kalamazoo County officer.

Bronson

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

If this situation happened the way it is written it is just another reason Cops get from me neither courtesy, or automatic respect, nor even my sympathy!
They don't get the benefit of the doubt, I don't cut them slack, Ignorance of the law is no excuse especially if they are to know the laws they enforce.
Their job is no more important than my job, and only a tad bit more dangerous...oh yeah & they too Volunteered

Remember their not Privileged, their Police!

hopnpop

imported post

I have to agree that I don't think he should be fired, but definitely needs some remedial training in firearms laws. This IS an issue - a small one, IMO. Not a huge deal. This guy could be a good cop who's just unclear as to the letter of the law. I think he should be steered in the right direction and if there are any similar situations in the future, then we know it's deliberate. We all have made mistakes at work, no matter how good we are at our job, and police are no different. Should be treated just as a minor error would be treated in our workplace. Correction first, maybe in combination with a slap on the wrist; then serious repercussions to follow any further misconduct. Just my 2 cents.

hopnpop

imported post

...and Hombre has 200 posts in the time span of 2 weeks?! That's one busy troll. Be nice if there were a "troll blocker" that worked like a spam-blocker, eh?

Gunslinger

imported post

Happened to me in VA. Cop asked why I didn't tell him I had a CCW. Said I would have if I was carrying, which I wasn't at the time. Said not a problem and no ticket, so a non event all in all. No duty to tell the police in VA, even if you are carrying. However, I would have as a courtesy.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
The cop was wrong. This is how it reads on the MSP website... http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10941--,00.html
[align=left]
Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police
[/align][align=left]
[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:[/font][/font]
[/size]
[/align]
  1. [size="-1"]
    [font="Arial, Helvetica"]An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately discloseto the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.[/font] [/size]
  • [size="-1"]
    [*][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:[/font] [/size]
  • [size="-1"]
    [*][font="Arial, Helvetica"]First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.[/font] [*][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.[/font] [/size]
[size="-1"][/size]

Funky quoting....

Just to clarify the red text, it should read....

[size="-1"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a concealed pistol shall immediately discloseto the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.[/font][/size]

A small, but very important bit of information. If you're a CPL holder, and you are OCing you do not have to disclose, as the quoted version, might indicate to some. Might be worth quoting the actual MCL rather than bullet points sometimes.