• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

friend was berated by officer for non-disclosure while not carrying

Bronson

imported post

Sigh,

I got an email from a friend who was pulled over last night for a headlight being out.The officer approached him with his hand on his gun and stayed well back. When the officer returned with the ticket he asked if my friend was carrying and friend told the officerhe was not in possession of a firearm at that time.

The officer then went on his diatribe about how he needs to disclose his CPL and how he could be ticketed for non-disclosure. It seems my friend did the right thing by just shutting up and taking his ticket and not arguing on the side of the road.

We still have a long way to go.

Bronson

Michigander

imported post

A complaint needs to be filed against the officer. If he needs help writing it, I'm sure folks here would be happy to help. That includes me.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I've thoughtabout that situationif I was ever pulled over while not carrying. I've thought about saying "I have my CPL, but I am not carrying at the moment."
That might be a good CYA, but why should you have to play into LEO's false sense of dictatorship? They NEED to KNOW the law they enforce. I'll never disclose my cpl when I'm unarmed. Law enforcement needs to learn, not be coddled.

mikestilly

imported post

This discussion came up in my CPL class. We were told correctly that we do not need to disclose if we were not carrying but it was suggested to disclose anyways as a courtesy to the officer because they will be notified when running your license that you have a CPL.

I myself don't disclose unless I'm forced to. The law itself to have to disclose in the first place doesnt make much sense. Considering we've been deemed safe to carry being forced to be licensed by the state.

mikestilly

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
cop on a power trip, make a complaint.

I agree this officer needs some training. You might want to have him FOIA it and we can put his diatribe on Youtube. Would be a good addition to the list of police on there who are clueless about firearms laws.

Bronson

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Officers name and department?

I asked for that in my reply to him. I'm still waiting for a response.

More than likely are either Portage or Kalamazoo City PD. Less likely areKalamazoo County or State PD.

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
I agree this officer needs some training. You might want to have him FOIA it and we can put his diatribe on Youtube. Would be a good addition to the list of police on there who are clueless about firearms laws.

Had not thought of that. I'll passthe suggestion on to him.

Bronson

autosurgeon

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
I would complain. Maybe you can get him fired.
No one wants him fired. BUT he should be applying the law as written not as he thinks it should be. And it is just possible that he was trained wrong and has not even read the law word for word and just needs to be shown what it really says.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
No one wants him fired. BUT he should be applying the law as written not as he thinks it should be. And it is just possible that he was trained wrong and has not even read the law word for word and just needs to be shown what it really says.
Well, why not? Get him fired. In fact, I think we should all call and complain based on this important HEARSAY information. I'm sure ALL the officer has is a complete recording (audio and video) of the stop. Fire the cop!

jeremy05

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
Well, why not? Get him fired. In fact, I think we should all call and complain based on this important HEARSAY information. I'm sure ALL the officer has is a complete recording (audio and video) of the stop. Fire the cop!
Keeps trolling trolling trolling