• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry and vehicles, whats the low down

sfcracker

imported post

Im a safe tech, carry lots of tools that criminals would love to have and drive a company van stating what i do, kind of a target for an oprotunist considering the safe full of money or whatever is being worked on inside the building im parked outside of. I would like toOPEN carry whenever possible. Just trying to clarify the rules in and out of philly. Thanks in advance

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

If carrying a firearm in a vehicle, whether open, concealed, locked away in a glove box or in bits and pieces inside the spare tire, you must possess a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). Unless you're going directly to or from a range and your house, or to or from a firearms dealer, them's the rules.

Once outside the vehicle, you can open carry to your heart's content. You've got an LTCF (you needed it for the vehicle carry), so you're good to go in Philadelphia or anywhere else in the Commonwealth (except in certain government buildings, courts, schools and state parks (concealed carry with an LTCF is okay in a state park).

The biggest hurdle you'll have to overcome will be that you're driving a company vehicle. Does your company specifically prohibit employees from carrying firearms? If so, you've got a choice - possibly lose your job or possibly lose your life. If no policy exists, you can either carry without asking permission, or you can ask for permission (it's their vehicle, you're their employee, it's their potential liability if anything ever goes wrong).

sfcracker

imported post

the boss has always been cool with it. thanks for the lowdown on the rules. btw I have a lock box in the vehicle for when I visit certain places having a firearm is a no no.

Mtn Jack

imported post

sfcraker interested in any side work;) just kidding. Great group here welcome. You might also like our state site pafoa.org good information there also. Stay safe Mtn Jack