Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Weapon purchased at a Gun Show..

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    Do I need to register that pistol before OC?

    Also if it's like 75 years old is that still required, has a 4 or 5 digit serial number..



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    Do I need to register that pistol before OC?

    Also if it's like 75 years old is that still required, has a 4 or 5 digit serial number..

    There is no State registration in NM, so unless you bought the weapon from a FFL dealer (who would have done the form 4473 for you), the annswer to your question. is no. Of course I am no lawyer.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    I didn't do any paper work with the guy who sold it. So, is that still a no, or do I need to do something legal.. I'm just asking because I'm a do things by the book kinda guy.

  4. #4
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clovis, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    219

    Post imported post

    New Mexico does not have any form of handgun registration. If the seller was a dealer, he would have required you to fill out a 4473 and do a NICS clearence. Since that isn't the case, he sold the gun as a private seller. There's nothing more for you to do in NM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    OK

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    So if I'm correct New Mexico has unresticted open carry.

  7. #7
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    Do I need to register that pistol before OC?

    Also if it's like 75 years old is that still required, has a 4 or 5 digit serial number..

    What gun did you buy?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    Do I need to register that pistol before OC?

    Also if it's like 75 years old is that still required, has a 4 or 5 digit serial number..

    What gun did you buy?
    I purchased a Smith and Wesson M1917 from a seller who didn't require paperwork, it has a 5 digit serial and I spent 400.00. I guessed 75 years old thinking late 20's because my father had recognized the pistol, but it was apparently manufactured between 1917 and 1920, also very collectible according to some websites. It has a glossy finish and some wear, but shoots great. I also purchased it for show, because it's a pretty gun.

    Second, purchased the Argentine 1911 about a year ago, I believe it's dated sometime in 1940's, but don't quote me on that.. I typically carry the 1911 because it shoots very well and is extremely accurate. I just replaced the spring with a 20lb due to some cycling issues.

    The only weapon I've purchased and had paperwork done was when I purchased my M91 at a gun store in Santa Fe.

  9. #9
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    I purchased a Smith and Wesson M1917 from a seller who didn't require paperwork, it has a 5 digit serial and I spent 400.00. I guessed 75 years old thinking late 20's because my father had recognized the pistol, but it was apparently manufactured between 1917 and 1920, also very collectible according to some websites. It has a glossy finish and some wear, but shoots great. I also purchased it for show, because it's a pretty gun.
    Nice catch.

    If it has original stocks and isin any condition better than fair, you got a very good buy. Enjoy.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    I purchased a Smith and Wesson M1917 from a seller who didn't require paperwork, it has a 5 digit serial and I spent 400.00. I guessed 75 years old thinking late 20's because my father had recognized the pistol, but it was apparently manufactured between 1917 and 1920, also very collectible according to some websites. It has a glossy finish and some wear, but shoots great. I also purchased it for show, because it's a pretty gun.
    Nice catch.

    If it has original stocks and isin any condition better than fair, you got a very good buy. Enjoy.
    It has the box it was originally sold with. As far as stocks, I would have to have a professional take a look at it..

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    I purchased a Smith and Wesson M1917 from a seller who didn't require paperwork, it has a 5 digit serial and I spent 400.00. I guessed 75 years old thinking late 20's because my father had recognized the pistol, but it was apparently manufactured between 1917 and 1920, also very collectible according to some websites. It has a glossy finish and some wear, but shoots great. I also purchased it for show, because it's a pretty gun.
    Nice catch.

    If it has original stocks and isin any condition better than fair, you got a very good buy. Enjoy.
    It has the box it was originally sold with. As far as stocks, I would have to have a professional take a look at it..

  12. #12
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clovis, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    219

    Post imported post

    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    So if I'm correct New Mexico has unresticted open carry.
    No state has unrestricted open carry. Most of the same restrictions that apply to open carry are the same as concealed in NM. Exceptions are open carry is prohibited anywhere alcohol is sold.

    Steve Aikens

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    steveaikens wrote:
    ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
    So if I'm correct New Mexico has unresticted open carry.
    No state has unrestricted open carry. Most of the same restrictions that apply to open carry are the same as concealed in NM. Exceptions are open carry is prohibited anywhere alcohol is sold.

    Steve Aikens
    Unrestricted typically means that no permit is required..

    I understand most of the local laws.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •