• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon purchased at a Gun Show..

TW

imported post

ArgentineBallista42 wrote:
Do I need to register that pistol before OC?

Also if it's like 75 years old is that still required, has a 4 or 5 digit serial number..
There is no State registration in NM, so unless you bought the weapon from a FFL dealer (who would have done the form 4473 for you), the annswer to your question. is no. Of course I am no lawyer.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

New Mexico does not have any form of handgun registration. If the seller was a dealer, he would have required you to fill out a 4473 and do a NICS clearence. Since that isn't the case, he sold the gun as a private seller. There's nothing more for you to do in NM.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Also if it's like 75 years old is that still required, has a 4 or 5 digit serial number..

What gun did you buy?

ArgentineBallista42

imported post

HankT wrote:

What gun did you buy?
I purchased a Smith and Wesson M1917 from a seller who didn't require paperwork, it has a 5 digit serial and I spent 400.00. I guessed 75 years old thinking late 20's because my father had recognized the pistol, but it was apparently manufactured between 1917 and 1920, also very collectible according to some websites. It has a glossy finish and some wear, but shoots great. I also purchased it for show, because it's a pretty gun.

Second, purchased the Argentine 1911 about a year ago, I believe it's dated sometime in 1940's, but don't quote me on that.. I typically carry the 1911 because it shoots very well and is extremely accurate. I just replaced the spring with a 20lb due to some cycling issues.

The only weapon I've purchased and had paperwork done was when I purchased my M91 at a gun store in Santa Fe.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I purchased a Smith and Wesson M1917 from a seller who didn't require paperwork, it has a 5 digit serial and I spent 400.00. I guessed 75 years old thinking late 20's because my father had recognized the pistol, but it was apparently manufactured between 1917 and 1920, also very collectible according to some websites. It has a glossy finish and some wear, but shoots great. I also purchased it for show, because it's a pretty gun.

Nice catch.

If it has original stocks and isin any condition better than fair, you got a very good buy. Enjoy.

ArgentineBallista42

imported post

HankT wrote:

Nice catch.

If it has original stocks and isin any condition better than fair, you got a very good buy. Enjoy.
It has the box it was originally sold with. As far as stocks, I would have to have a professional take a look at it..

ArgentineBallista42

imported post

HankT wrote:

Nice catch.

It has the box it was originally sold with. As far as stocks, I would have to have a professional take a look at it..

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

So if I'm correct New Mexico has unresticted open carry.

No state has unrestricted open carry. Most of the same restrictions that apply to open carry are the same as concealed in NM. Exceptions are open carry is prohibited anywhere alcohol is sold.

Steve Aikens

ArgentineBallista42

imported post

steveaikens wrote:
So if I'm correct New Mexico has unresticted open carry.

No state has unrestricted open carry. Most of the same restrictions that apply to open carry are the same as concealed in NM. Exceptions are open carry is prohibited anywhere alcohol is sold.

Steve Aikens

Unrestricted typically means that no permit is required..

I understand most of the local laws.