• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New To town

tireguy43

imported post

I am new here I am from Colorado and got put up here. I was wondering one where is a good place to go shooting and get reloading supply's. As well as is there a open carry group here in town or close by. And finally what businesses are not OC friendly. THanks

MatieA

imported post

tireguy43 wrote:
I am new here I am from Colorado and got put up here. I was wondering one where is a good place to go shooting and get reloading supply's. As well as is there a open carry group here in town or close by. And finally what businesses are not OC friendly. THanks

I personally have not found an anti-open carry business in Cheyenne. Shooting supplies: Marv's Pawn Shop, Marv's Other Place, Guns and Gear. Reloading supplies; I normally buy my primers from Guns and Gar, or Marv's Other Place, Powder; whereverI can find what I want (usually Ft. Collins). I buy my bullets online, wherever I can find what I want for the best deal.

I don't know where to tell you to go shoot in Cheyenne as I shoot here in Pine Bluffs, but someone ought to be able to answer that question for you.

Open Carry group? Can't answer that, but I do carry every day. Maybe we'll meet one day when I am in Cheyenne.

Be careful of the sherrif deputies in the County building (you canonly carry on the 1st floor) they like to tell gun carriersthat they have toleave; politely stand your ground and tell them to call Sherrif Glick, it'll get straightened out in a hurry. :lol:

MatieA

imported post

Frontier Mall has been bought and the signs never changed. I have carried (openly) into the mall including into the theatre to watch a movie and although Security looks twice, I have never had a problem. I wrote the corporate office of the company that bought the mall and they said that they would prefer not to have firearms but are not going to post such unless it becomes a problem (I cannot however at this time find a copy of this letter--I haven't finished unpacking after my move). If you pay attention when you go into the mall, the rules are only posetd at two entrances.

When I find the letter, I will post a copy here.

Hanzerik

imported post

By chance are you Military?

Guns:
Gun N Gear (Ken and Frank are good guys, sometimes can find a good deal)
Marv's Place & Marv's Other Place (Rick is a great guy who has given me good deals on most guns I buy from these two stores. And only charges me $10 for transfers when I buy online)
Frontier Arms (Owner and his Wife seem like decent folks but always seem grumpy. The Daughter is very customer friendly and should always be working LOL. Sometimes I can find a decent deal on guns here)
Walmart has your standard lineup of rifles/shotguns
Mall--Sports Authority, has rifles/shotguns only. They used to also sell pistols but stopped a couple years ago.
Big 5, have not been there yet...not even sure if it is even open

Reloading Supplies:
Bullets are bought at either Walmart (Hornady XTP), or Chey-Cast out on Otto Road west of town. Lone-Tree cast bullets (Chugwater) are ok, but a little too soft for my loads.
Powder, at least what I use for magnum loads (2400), is scare in town. I have to go down into Colorado to get it. You can get some powders at Walmart, I buy my Unique there.

Shooting Area:
Take Lincolnway west until it turns into Otto Road. keep heading west on Otto Road until you come up to the Cheyenne Regulator's Range on the right hand side (Chey-Cast Bullets is on left hand side of road). Keep going a little further and you will see a green gate on right side with a "State Trust Land" and hand painted signs. Open gate, then close it behind you. Inside of this fenced in area you are free to shoot, hunt, etc. Just make sure you pick up after yourself, and take all trash, shotgun hulls, etc out with you. Brass is usually not a problem; I don't know who it is but he/they are very thorough picking up brass. Not sure if they scrap it, or reload it, but I always pick up my center-fire brass because I reload it.

Mjolnir

imported post

Hanzerik can you still shoot at the state trust land south of cheyenne on terry ranch road? It has been a couple years since we went shooting there but it was close and easy but you had to be careful of your backstop.

Marvs pawn is great (both of them) but the 2 guys working at guns and gear are stuck up pompus jerks who ignore customers and treat customers bad while the lady who works there is not bad.

Frontier arms has trashed many a firearm and the owners have had to go to real gunsmiths (like Elbe arms when they were still open) to fix the mistakes frontier made. Prices expensive and not very friendly.

Cheyenne Motel is one of the better dive motels in town if you can believe that

Hanzerik

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Hanzerik can you still shoot at the state trust land south of cheyenne on terry ranch road? It has been a couple years since we went shooting there but it was close and easy but you had to be careful of your backstop.
I haven't been out that way since they closed that area so I don't know if it is opened back up or not. I agree, it was much easier and faster to go shooting there...I live on the South Side, so it only took about five minutes for me.