• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Carry Question

Chubs2287

imported post

Let me start off my first post by thanking everyone for all their valuable insight and their time spent informing all of us on CT Carry laws.

Ok, I have been reading all the forum topics, comments, and CCDLs Pamphlet on open carrying, and it is legal for someone to open carry, but I do read between the line and it sounds like I can still be arrested, if I do get the cops called on me or if a cop sees me and doesn't understand the CT statues on open carry in CT?

What would happen, bc I cant afford to be arrested and lose my permit for 2 years waiting for an appeal? What are your recommendations on this?

Like others when I got my permit I was told I HAD to conceal it and could not carry it in the open or have printing of any sort, and it sounds to me that I was lied to by a State Trooper.

BTW I just registered with CCDL and I am going to the March 9, 2010 meeting I would just like to clarify this now, so I can enjoy my CT Carry right sooner.

Thanks in advance for all your insight.

stacks04

imported post

there have been arrests made in the past based on breech of peace. currently one is in court now. there hasnt been one since the current case went to court. others will be along to explain better than i.

Chubs2287

imported post

I think I have a better understanding of it all now, except that have their been arrests since the case went court for breach of peace?

Does anyone know if the local LEOs of Hamden are up-to-date on these facts?

gluegun

imported post

I'm not sure if there have been other arrests, but NO ONE has had their permit revoked for open carrying since James Goldberg. DPS and the BPFE are aware that it is not against the law.

Hamden used to be a lot worse, but apparently the corrupt chief has since left his post. Don't know how it is now, but it's at least much better about issuing permits.

Chubs2287

imported post

Ok. Im now up to speed with the facts and feel very safe to open carry as I now carry all the proper documents with me when I do. I for the first time open carried today to Hoffman's to get a brand spanking new leather holster for my Springfield XDm (Which I rarely carried bc of how big it is and hard to conceal), and instead of using the in-side the waist holster. Then I went to taco bell which drew some looks but that's it.

Until recently I was completely unaware of CT laws about open carrying and just before I found this site and read all about it, I was thinking of how I could get an open carry law passed here in CT, but what do you know I could have already.

Now I am a proud Open Carrying Law Abiding Citizen!!!!!

Leverdude

imported post

I'm of mixed feelings about the open carry thing.
I know its legal & like it that way because if some soccer mom notices my gun its not an issue. But as it becomes more common knowledge we'll be facing & needing to fight more determined efforts to mandate concealment. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as common sense prevails in the end.

gluegun

imported post

The best way to prevent abuse of our 2A rights is to make guns unremarkable. If the public never sees them, how are they to learn there isn't anything to fear?

(I rarely OC, but sure do love the option.)

Leverdude

imported post

gluegun wrote:
The best way to prevent abuse of our 2A rights is to make guns unremarkable. If the public never sees them, how are they to learn there isn't anything to fear?

(I rarely OC, but sure do love the option.)

Oh I agree with you. I'm just waiting for sensationalism to take over, thats usually how the public is educated & manipulated against us and I'd hate for a movement to put weight behind DPS proposals. Hopefully I'm wrong. I hope nobody thinks I'm saying they shouldn't carry as they see fit, they should, I'm just speaking my mind on somethings been brewing awhile.;) I dont think guns will ever be unremarkable. Little is these days. What I think will happen is gun rights will become discrimination proof just like most others are. People might not like it but they will be an accepted reality.

I dont really open carry per se but this time of year I often carry in a pancake type holster. Its usually covered by a sweat shirt or jacket. Once it gets warm or if I think it real likely to be in someones face I go to IWB mostly. I carry in NH where open carry is legal & usually conceal there too. But, as you said, the option to not worry about it is great.:)

nastorino

imported post

I always try to read up o this topic and hear other peoples opinions on what they feel the law states. I had no clue you could open carry in CT until I took my permit class, I thought we were CC only. That being said I CC 98% of the time due to not wanting issues and the fact that my leather custom holsters are IWB only ;)I do occasionally carry my LCP on my hip in the hard plastic holster when taking the dog out for aquick walk when I don't feel like suiting up.

I think I will always primarily CC however the idea that I am legal evenif my shirt blows open or my sweatshirt lifts up andsomeonesees my gun reassures me a little more.

Leverdude

imported post

nastorino wrote:
I always try to read up o this topic and hear other peoples opinions on what they feel the law states. I had no clue you could open carry in CT until I took my permit class, I thought we were CC only. That being said I CC 98% of the time due to not wanting issues and the fact that my leather custom holsters are IWB only ;)I do occasionally carry my LCP on my hip in the hard plastic holster when taking the dog out for aquick walk when I don't feel like suiting up.

I think I will always primarily CC however the idea that I am legal evenif my shirt blows open or my sweatshirt lifts up andsomeonesees my gun reassures me a little more.

Exactly. It'd really suck if the result of us pushing the issue were mandatory concealment with unreasonable requirements.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
nastorino wrote:

Exactly. It'd really suck if the result of us pushing the issue were mandatory concealment with unreasonable requirements.
The change DPS was working on pushing into law this time was worse, $1000 fine and a years time in some cases... for what now is not illegal.

They know they are on shaky ground with this and were probably trying to push it through before the 2nd circuit court of appeals comes out with their ruling on Goldberg and Kuck

nastorino

imported post

They are trying to remove the open carry and turn it into concealed only? Punishment would be a fine of $1,000? :cry:

Anvil

imported post

Perhaps the law will switch, Open Carry only, No Concealed guns.

Leverdude

imported post

Anvil wrote:
Perhaps the law will switch, Open Carry only, No Concealed guns.

I doubt that. Its only an issue when the sheep notice the guns. Open carry has apparently always been legal without any problem because nobody noticed it. Now that its out of the box thats changing but I dont see mandatory open carry happening. Would be nice to allow open carry with no permit like many states do.

gluegun

imported post

nastorino wrote:
They are trying to remove the open carry and turn it into concealed only? Punishment would be a fine of $1,000? :cry:
The proposal would have mandated concealed carry and carried both a $1000 fine AND jail time. There was no either or.

Thankfully, with the word spreading so quickly about what they were attempting to do, the proposal never made it to committee.

GunFire

imported post

I for one believe and know that open carry is legal in Connecticut, but why bring attention to yourself because of your right to self defense. A very good case to carry your gun concealed is the element of surprise if you need to defend yourself or others.

Why would you give the criminal the advantage of knowing you have a gun?
Where you could be targeted in an attempt to have your gun taken from you.
I am sure others feel very different and I respect all on how and were to carry.

gluegun

imported post

Something I've been seriously considering, recently:

I'm a father of a 2 month old son. When I am out and about with him in a carrier or in my arms I am at a tactical disadvange. I have one arm free and my clothing could very easily hinder my ability to draw my firearm in defense of my son and myself.

What is the better choice? Maintaining the "element of surprise" or being a deterrent? Fumbling around with cover garments or being able to easily access my pistol and draw one handed? Protecting my right to self defense or not drawing attention to myself?

I'm starting to think when I'm with my son I have only one option.

Chubs2287

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Something I've been seriously considering, recently:

I'm a father of a 2 month old son. When I am out and about with him in a carrier or in my arms I am at a tactical disadvange. I have one arm free and my clothing could very easily hinder my ability to draw my firearm in defense of my son and myself.

What is the better choice? Maintaining the "element of surprise" or being a deterrent? Fumbling around with cover garments or being able to easily access my pistol and draw one handed? Protecting my right to self defense or not drawing attention to myself?

I'm starting to think when I'm with my son I have only one option.
I totally agree with you gluegun. When your with your son you need a free hand to draw your weapon without hindrance.

Another thing that Ive been thinking is the advantages and disadvantages of open carry and common thoughts about both.

1. If I carry open I would be a target of a criminal./ If I carry open I would deter a criminal from targeting me.
2. If I carry open I maybe jumped for my gun./ If I carry open I would less likely to be target of a mugging seeing as I would defend myself.
3. Open carry = easier draw/ Conceal Carry = element of surprise

These are just some of the arguments and its usually the same argument with just different words. I would like to see some more people post here their thoughts and other common arguments.

nastorino

imported post

6 to 1, half a dozen the other. it's a tough choice whether to stay concealed or open carry.