Thread: How to obtain a CPL in California?

Post imported post

I am currently a resident here in michigan, And I might be moving out to Cali soon with my Brother.

How does someone go about obtaning a CPL?

How much does obtaining a CPL cost?

How long do you have to wait to recieve a CPL?

Post imported post

I would write a good, thoughtful reply, but my hands are tired from writing an essay and a research abstract.

Where are you moving to in California, and what kind of good cause do you feel you have?

Post imported post

I am unsure of where about in California Imight be moving to, I wish I could remember where my brother said. It is somewhere North I do know that.

I would just tell the Officer, I am carrying the Gun for Personal Protection.

Post imported post

FUD

Post imported post

I don't understand why people always respond to queries about California with black-and-white FUD which makes a confusing situation even worse, and tends to do the work of gun-grabbers for them.

The truth is that it's nowhere no so simple as just "no dice".

Nor is it that bad for all Californians, nor is it appropriate to tell people that they'll never get a permit no matter what.

Now, with that said, you only have two real options:

1. Move to a rural county which has adopted shall-issuance. Many rural counties have, though not all. If you move to one of these, it shouldn't be a big deal.

2. Wait. There is litigation underway.

Post imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
    Then no, no you may not have a CPL.

Welcome to CA.
    FUD for more than half the state by area. Stop.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

Depending where you are, you can't get one. Most people can not. Although it would appear from this map that much of the state does issue, in fact, where most of the population is it is non-issue.

See the following sites for CCW info:

http://www.californiaccw.org/forums/list.page
    http://www.calccw.com/Forums/
    http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/

Post imported post

I might be moving somewhere around a Navy or a Air Force Base located in the Northern parts of Cali. Hopefully that will give someone a better idea, I don`t know when I will talk to my brother next to find out the exact name of the place.

Post imported post

Alright, you are right, that may as well be FUD.

I will refine that:

You will need to demonstrate exemplary good cause, in some areas--as marshaul said, that is not so much the case.

Areas with particularly sympathetic and reasonable sherrifs, like Fresno, CA you will find it easy and straightforward to qualify and obtain a CCW.

There is a downside to moving to such a place, as they are particularly violent and there is a great risk you may need to use that CCW, other rural areas are safe, and provide CCWs with ease.

You will find, however, in some ruralareas that sherrifs are wary to provide CCW permits to newcomers, sort of a good old boy mentality, but this is not as pervasive as it might sound.

You will need to qualify, this costs money, and range time, but a competent shooter should not have great difficulties in excelling in the tests.

Your profile indicates you were born 11-20-1989, which would make you 20 years old. I know of only 1 case where a person under the age of 21 was granted a CCW. I believe it was some time ago in Madera, to a young deputy in training who had saved another officers' life.

An alternative, of course, is the great neutered right of unloaded open carry. IMO a worse option still would be locked unloaded concealed carry.

Now would be a good time to research your options and find out where it is you and your kin plan to move, we can probably help you more then.

Post imported post

Alright, Sounds good I will let everyone know when I find out an exact location.

Post imported post

I just asked my Mom if she might know, She said Fairfield.

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    I just asked my Mom if she might know, She said Fairfield.
    Eww...Solano County.

That is going to be one hell of an uphill battle.

Seriously.

Post imported post

That link didn`t work for me, But I take it as Solano county. This isn`t looking good at all, I may not want to move to Cali now.

Post imported post

Alright, How Good/Bad of a place is Solano County then? Is it a high crime area?

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    That link didn`t work for me, But I take it as Solano county. This isn`t looking good at all, I may not want to move to Cali now.
    Well there was no link, i wrote "Ewwww" with three w's..followed by a . made it think I was typing a URL.

I would compare, and others might disagree, that Bay Area is pretty much the lion's den.

If you can draw up good cause. Really good cause, then you have a shot. Transporting large sums of cash, employment as a guard, previous incidents of violence, the answer "personal protection" isn't good enough for most sherrifs. I wish it were.

Hey, you know CA has so much to offer, it is one of my favorite states, the only downside is the insane laws, firearm and non-firearm related.

You could consider joining the battle to knock back the idiocy and gun grabbers.

What about a career in law enforcement?

Post imported post

I won`t get into LE, I don`t much care for them. But I could always get into transporting large sums of money ( Legally of course)

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    I won`t get into LE, I don`t much care for them. But I could always get into transporting large sums of money ( Legally of course)
    Well, ok...your good cause should be just that yours. You shouldn't have to manufacture it, or put yourself into situations of danger where you would absolutely need to be armed.

Have you considered open carry as an alternative?

Post imported post

Is it legal to OC around that area? I would rather have a CPL, and have the Gun LOADED

Post imported post

sorry wally, unless you move to a shall issue county, and you become 21years old,, there is no way in hell you will get a permit!

thats just the way almost all counties in almost all the states work!

its not just california!

there is a whole sh5tload of californians that would like to have loaded guns too!:celebrate
    and they are over 21:P

EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

This is not FUD:

You will NOT get a CCW permit in Solano County. Period.

At least not for a few years, if the Palmer/Sykes suits succeed in getting us closer to an equitable issuance system, there may be a chance in the future.

Post imported post

Love the Map for us Californians...I had previously lived in Washington State (Benton County) The Sheriff (Andy Taylor!). I know, I know...too funny right? Mayberry USA...

Anyway, I had a Washington State Issued CWP for 6 years. I enjoyed Cowboy Action Shooting and hunting, and target practice with friends and family. I had a range in my back yard and had all kinds of fun teaching people how to shoot and the proper safety and educate of owning/having/using a firearm correctly and safely.

NEVER had any issues or any problems. Had local law enforcement friends stop by and use my range!

Moved back to California and wanted to get my Concealed Carry:

NO WAY!...

San Francisco and the surrounding areas are "ANTI-GUN!" I have to be careful in even discussing my guns as the LIBERALS here make my life hell. If you tell someone you have a gun they respond: "A GUN?!" OMG, you must be one of those Conservative gun totting crazies!" "Are you Insane?" "A racist?" "Survivalist?" "A Neo-Nazi?"

A local police Chief stated that "Open carry people should go on down to 89th and International Blvd. (parts of OAKLAND, CA Crack Neighborhoods!) and see how they would be treated!"

So, in other words it's OK for the crime committing CRACK dealers to gun down a innocent Civilian who is just trying to be safe and protect himself?

I think this is a prime example of HOW CA looks on guns. The Liberals want only the CRIMINALS to have guns. I am sure there would be a LOT less murders in the BAY AREA if LEGAL, LAW abiding citizens where able to carry. Making guns and carrying them illegal has only made sure that the CRIMINALS have guns while they do things like sell CRACK and rob and rape and pillage at will....

I would like to begin attending the Open Carry events, just don't know how to get notified when and where they are.

Signed,

A SAFE, SANE open carry advocate

Post imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
    You will need to qualify, this costs money, and range time, but a competent shooter should not have great difficulties in excelling in the tests.
    There are no legislated weapon proficency requirements to obtain a CCW in CA. However, as I understand it, many of the approximately 538 issueing authorities do have 'qualification' as a local requirement.

To the OP: The short answer is that for you to obtain a CCW in CA with any certainty, you will need todo allot of research ahead of time figuring out what jurisdiction you want to live in. http://www.calccw.com is an excellent resource for figuring this out.

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote:
    This is not FUD:

You will NOT get a CCW permit in Solano County. Period.

At least not for a few years, if the Palmer/Sykes suits succeed in getting us closer to an equitable issuance system, there may be a chance in the future.

Now that we know where the intended destination is, I'm going to agree with this finally.