• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to obtain a CPL in California?

wally1120

imported post

I am currently a resident here in michigan, And I might be moving out to Cali soon with my Brother.

How does someone go about obtaning a CPL?

How much does obtaining a CPL cost?

How long do you have to wait to recieve a CPL?

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I would write a good, thoughtful reply, but my hands are tired from writing an essay and a research abstract.

Where are you moving to in California, and what kind of good cause do you feel you have?

wally1120

imported post

I am unsure of where about in California Imight be moving to, I wish I could remember where my brother said. It is somewhere North I do know that.

I would just tell the Officer, I am carrying the Gun for Personal Protection.

Ca Patriot

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I am currently a resident here in michigan, And I might be moving out to Cali soon with my Brother.

How does someone go about obtaning a CPL?

How much does obtaining a CPL cost?

How long do you have to wait to recieve a CPL?
When and if you find out then please let us know, we have been trying to figure it out ourselves.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't understand why people always respond to queries about California with black-and-white FUD which makes a confusing situation even worse, and tends to do the work of gun-grabbers for them.

The truth is that it's nowhere no so simple as just "no dice".

Nor is it that bad for all Californians, nor is it appropriate to tell people that they'll never get a permit no matter what.

Now, with that said, you only have two real options:

1. Move to a rural county which has adopted shall-issuance. Many rural counties have, though not all. If you move to one of these, it shouldn't be a big deal.

2. Wait. There is litigation underway.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Depending where you are, you can't get one. Most people can not. Although it would appear from this map that much of the state does issue, in fact, where most of the population is it is non-issue.

ca_ccw_map-big.png

See the following sites for CCW info:

http://www.californiaccw.org/forums/list.page
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/
http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/

wally1120

imported post

I might be moving somewhere around a Navy or a Air Force Base located in the Northern parts of Cali. Hopefully that will give someone a better idea, I don`t know when I will talk to my brother next to find out the exact name of the place.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Alright, you are right, that may as well be FUD.

I will refine that:

You will need to demonstrate exemplary good cause, in some areas--as marshaul said, that is not so much the case.

Areas with particularly sympathetic and reasonable sherrifs, like Fresno, CA you will find it easy and straightforward to qualify and obtain a CCW.

There is a downside to moving to such a place, as they are particularly violent and there is a great risk you may need to use that CCW, other rural areas are safe, and provide CCWs with ease.

You will find, however, in some ruralareas that sherrifs are wary to provide CCW permits to newcomers, sort of a good old boy mentality, but this is not as pervasive as it might sound.

You will need to qualify, this costs money, and range time, but a competent shooter should not have great difficulties in excelling in the tests.

Your profile indicates you were born 11-20-1989, which would make you 20 years old. I know of only 1 case where a person under the age of 21 was granted a CCW. I believe it was some time ago in Madera, to a young deputy in training who had saved another officers' life.

An alternative, of course, is the great neutered right of unloaded open carry. IMO a worse option still would be locked unloaded concealed carry.

Now would be a good time to research your options and find out where it is you and your kin plan to move, we can probably help you more then.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
That link didn`t work for me, But I take it as Solano county. This isn`t looking good at all, I may not want to move to Cali now.

Well there was no link, i wrote "Ewwww" with three w's..followed by a . made it think I was typing a URL.

I would compare, and others might disagree, that Bay Area is pretty much the lion's den.

If you can draw up good cause. Really good cause, then you have a shot. Transporting large sums of cash, employment as a guard, previous incidents of violence, the answer "personal protection" isn't good enough for most sherrifs. I wish it were.

Hey, you know CA has so much to offer, it is one of my favorite states, the only downside is the insane laws, firearm and non-firearm related.

You could consider joining the battle to knock back the idiocy and gun grabbers.

What about a career in law enforcement? :)

heliopolissolutions

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I won`t get into LE, I don`t much care for them. But I could always get into transporting large sums of money ( Legally of course)

Well, ok...your good cause should be just that yours. You shouldn't have to manufacture it, or put yourself into situations of danger where you would absolutely need to be armed.

Have you considered open carry as an alternative?

1245A Defender

imported post

sorry wally, unless you move to a shall issue county, and you become 21years old,, there is no way in hell you will get a permit!:banghead:

thats just the way almost all counties in almost all the states work!:cuss:

its not just california!;););)

there is a whole sh5tload of californians that would like to have loaded guns too!:celebrate
and they are over 21:p