• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changing the Vehicle Carry Law?

Sig229

imported post

I was wondering if there's anyway we could try and change the incredibly stupid law in PA about vehicle carry with no LTCF?

Its on par with some communist Maryland and NJ laws for god sakes.

Also, why and when was that law enacted?

Sig229

imported post

glock1701 wrote:
it does suck and you should be allowed to carry in your car without a LCF but its just as easy to get an LCF and do it

That shouldn't be an excuse though.

Besides, there are many people form other states that live in PA who cannot get a PA LTCF. They should be allowed to carry in the car as well.

I know that Pennsylvania is "Bass-Ackwards" with many things,. but I dont get how we can OC almost anywhere in public. Yet, we cant have one in the car.

Makes to sense and it needs to be changed.

Steve in PA

imported post

PA law already allows them to carry in a vehicle, if they have a LTCF issued by their state of residency.

If they can't get a LTCF from their home state why should they be allowed to carry in a vehicle while in PA?

Sig229

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
PA law already allows them to carry in a vehicle, if they have a LTCF issued by their state of residency.

If they can't get a LTCF from their home state why should they be allowed to carry in a vehicle while in PA?

YES, That should!

Les say a resident from Maryland has family or property in PA. Or is just passing through.

In MD, NOBODY (in reality) can get a CHL.

So does that make their life and ability to protect themselves while in a vehicle less valuable?

There are many other states besides Maryland in the same predicament.

Steve in PA

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:

YES, That should!

Les say a resident from Maryland has family or property in PA. Or is just passing through.

So does that make their life and ability to protect themselves while in a vehicle less valuable?

Then let them work on getting their home state to issue them a license. If they can't do it in their home state, why should they be allowed to do it in PA?

Why stop at vehicle carry? Following your logic, they should be allowed to carry outside of a vehicle in PA too since they would need to protect their life beyond the inside of a vehicle. Just because they can't get a license from their home state they should be granted some type of exception?

Sig229

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:

YES, That should!

Then let them work on getting their home state to issue them a license. If they can't do it in their home state, why should they be allowed to do it in PA?

Why stop at vehicle carry? Following your logic, they should be allowed to carry outside of a vehicle in PA too since they would need to protect their life beyond the inside of a vehicle. Just because they can't get a license from their home state they should be granted some type of exception?

People from other states CAN carry outside of the vehicle in PA without a LTCF.

You seem to think that because a person from PA has a LTCF they are in some "privileged" class.

Do you or do you not believe that ALL citizens visiting PA should be allowed to defend themselves on the same level as a person with a LTCF?

theschultz

imported post

I think the point is simply that if one can open carry walking in WalMart, why not while driving down the road?

Incidentally, I am now enjoying my ability to carry loaded in the car in PA with my CHP. Don't get riled up too much. I don't have a license to carry firearms, just a concealed handgun permit from another Commonwealth, right south of PRMD.

On a sidenote, MD law actually allows one to carry a handgun in an enclosed holster unloaded, going to and from somewhere allowed by law in your vehicle.

Steve in PA

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:

YES, That should!

People from other states CAN carry outside of the vehicle in PA without a LTCF.

You seem to think that because a person from PA has a LTCF they are in some "privileged" class.

Do you or do you not believe that ALL citizens visiting PA should be allowed to defend themselves on the same level as a person with a LTCF?

Not if they can't or won't get a license from their state. Why should PA extend some kind of "special privilege" to them because they can't or won't get a license? Not important for them to get a license? Oh well........sucks to be them. They probably need it in their home state, so why should it not be needed because they are in a different state?

People from other states can only open carry without a license, they cannot carry concealed.

Sure hoped they like to walk all over PA, because without a license from PA or another state they cannot transport the firearm in a vehicle to wherever they want to open carry.

I think everyone should be allowed to defend themselves, but since licenses/permits are required by most states, I don't think they shoudl be granted some type of special privilege because they don't want to get license.