• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Friendly Shooting Ranges?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My question is does anyone know of a decent place to practice with their open carry sidearm while open carrying? If not, how about just a decent place that doesn't cost more than a box of ammo for half an hour of range time?

The last gun club I belonged to was in Washington state and it was great. The cost was $30 a year and it was open only to members from 0600 to 2200. I haven't seen anything even remotely like that here in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I open-carry at Fletchers in Waukesha when I use the range.

They don't allow "holster draw" per their insurance, but they have been a long-time supporter of Open-Carry in their store.

I've heard that Badger Guns allows Open-Carry also but haven't myself open-carried there to confirm.

akito

imported post

I open carry at shooters in racine off of hwy 31/32 and 6 mile rd. , I'm pretty sure they don't allow holster draws as well . as a matter of fact we will be there today around noon or 1pm ( me and a buddy of mine )

Sgt_Habz

imported post

If you're up for the drive, there's a public range (yes, public!) in Shiocton. They have a "donation" box when you drive up and ask that you pay $3 so they can mow the lawns and whatnot, but that's all the fees you'll ever undertake.

There is no range supervision, no one telling you what to do. They have a dumpster in the parking lot, so feel free to bring anything (read: anything) to shoot at, as long as you pick it up afterwards.

The people I've met there are always friendly, and occasionally you'll see some guys with .50 BMG's or machine guns, so that's always fun.

Anyways, its about 30 minutes NW of Appleton, so it may be too much drive for you. But since you requested an "open carry" friendly range, this one is friendly to anything. My friends and I keep our sidearms on our hips the whole time, and practice quick draw firing.

As a final note, I should add that there are 3 ranges there. There's a 500 yd, a 200 yd, and a... uhh, I believe its a 300 yd, but I've never been out to that one. The 500 yd and 200 yd are separated by a berm, and the other one is visible but you have to drive around a pond to get to it.

Best of luck to you!

Lurchiron

imported post

Sgt_Habz wrote:
If you're up for the drive, there's a public range (yes, public!) in Shiocton. They have a "donation" box when you drive up and ask that you pay $3 so they can mow the lawns and whatnot, but that's all the fees you'll ever undertake.

There is no range supervision, no one telling you what to do. They have a dumpster in the parking lot, so feel free to bring anything (read: anything) to shoot at, as long as you pick it up afterwards.

The people I've met there are always friendly, and occasionally you'll see some guys with .50 BMG's or machine guns, so that's always fun.

Anyways, its about 30 minutes NW of Appleton, so it may be too much drive for you. But since you requested an "open carry" friendly range, this one is friendly to anything. My friends and I keep our sidearms on our hips the whole time, and practice quick draw firing.

As a final note, I should add that there are 3 ranges there. There's a 500 yd, a 200 yd, and a... uhh, I believe its a 300 yd, but I've never been out to that one. The 500 yd and 200 yd are separated by a berm, and the other one is visible but you have to drive around a pond to get to it.

Best of luck to you!
What is the address at Shiocton, I just noticed that they gated my favorite gravel-pit over the winter(land transfer???). I've got 3 scopes to zero, and that 500yd range sounds fun.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
What is the address at Shiocton, I just noticed that they gated my favorite gravel-pit over the winter(land transfer???). I've got 3 scopes to zero, and that 500yd range sounds fun.

It is located within Lake Park off of Park Avenue. Park Avenue is on the South Side of 54 across from the Airport. It starts before the Airport on 54 and ends after the Airport on 54 making an elongated curve to the south. It is the nicest public range I have ever seen.

The range is open year around from 7AM to dusk with the 500yd range open from 9AM to 3PM. It is closed during the 9 day rifle deer season.

I will be going there either tomorrow or Friday to do some shooting as I have to drop off the registration for the June Appleeed shoot.

32HR MAG

imported post

Midwestern Shooters Supply in Lomira is OK for OC if you are useing the range.They are not real cool with OC in the store to shop around.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the information! The range in Shiocton is about a three hour drive from Kenosha according to Mapquest. For a trip like that I would have to bring some heavy duty firepower! LOL.

I noticed that it doesn't have a specific address but does anyone have the GPS co-ordinates? I do indeed have a road trip planned to shoot there.

There seems to be a range near me in Bristol but it is closed all but Friday through Sunday and the cost is outrageous.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think I found it on Google Earth. According to what I think is the range the GPS co-ordinates are:

44 degrees, 26 minutes, 30.77 seconds N

88 degrees, 33 minutes, 58.63 seconds W

Hostilefreak

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
My question is does anyone know of a decent place to practice with their open carry sidearm while open carrying? If not, how about just a decent place that doesn't cost more than a box of ammo for half an hour of range time?

The last gun club I belonged to was in Washington state and it was great. The cost was $30 a year and it was open only to members from 0600 to 2200. I haven't seen anything even remotely like that here in Wisconsin.

The range here in Baraboo is open from 0800-sunset. I'm pretty sure you can carry out here but I don't think they allow holstered drawing( I could be wrong better check). It's $30 a year here.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wish I lived closer to Baraboo! $30 a year is great. I am really irked that Wisconsin doesn't have any state built outdoor ranges in the forest (that I know of). Every state I have lived in until now has had numerous outdoor public ranges built and maintained by our tax dollars. With all the sportspeople in this state one would think we would have a voice on where our tax money goes and we would have outdoor ranges available all year.:X

hardballer

imported post

Both Alma and Fountain City have shooting ranges. I have always open carried at the range.

Neither range has employees so often you are there alone. Fountain City's is out in the middle of nowhere and nohow. Like a little valley or declivity. You shoot down hill for pistol or shotgun and up hill for rifle. One lane.

Alma is very nice. Well cared for with a very nice banquet hall. (Hey, might be a nice place to get together with a group some time. Seats about 80) 300 yards rifle and 100 yards pistol. Also has a bow range. I believe Alma is $25 a year and Fountain City is $10 per year.

I am generally the only one there unless it is just before deer season. I have used a mirror in the past to look over my shoulder while at the shooting bench but am always very wary anyway when shooting.

Only ever had someone come up behind me un-announced and I scared the crap out of that fellow but I always recommend knowing rather than guessing whether someone is a goblin or a good guy. Scared the peepee out of me too.

What was he thinking anyway? Approaching a shooter he did not know from behind without a loud howdy do before approaching? Still never let my guard down.

scorpio_vette

imported post

shooters on 6mile off of 32/31 is open carry friendly, and hasn't said anything to me about open carrying into and using on the range.

i don't know about firing while drawing. when i go to use on the range, i un-holster and place it on the little lane table and ready my magazines and ammo. then get ready to shoot. they haven't given me any crap about that yet.

fletchers only allows open carry if you under no circumstances touch your gun. not even on the range. if you want to use your gun on the range you have to bring it in encased (found that out today when i got my ass chewed out by them).

OCglock1988

imported post

if anyone really wants to holster draw and quick fire at a range they should just join IDPA. I know they do it at fletcher's one sunday a month. Its 15 dollars to enter plus 50-100 rds. Thats pretty cheap to get some real fun training(shooting on the move, using cover while reloading, shooting from cover etc.) It looks like a hell of a lot of fun and Ive been meaning to go check it out but have been out of town during the matches.

OCglock1988

imported post

smithman wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:
What about McMillers outside Eagle.
McMillers is not OC friendly, they require cased guns until you get onto the range. They also require no handling of any guns or ammo during cease fires.
they also require that you pause one second between shots I believe, which is very annoying when you want to practice double taps and shooting longer strings