• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do I need to do to be legal here?

Zogm

imported post

I have a handgun I legally purchased when I lived in Louisiana and now I live in NJ. It is being stored now with a family member but I want it in my home for protection and would like to be able to go to the range.

Do I have to apply for anything in order to be legal in my home? What about traveling to the range?

Im not clear after reading up as to whether I need to get some kind of license just to own it or go to the range. It seems that I can keep it legally in my home with no application but Ive read some conflicting information here and am really confused.

nj12ga

imported post

you should apply for the firearms ID card(at the local PD)because you need it to buy pistol ammo in NJ..and if the handgun is still back home you should also apply for a pistol purchase permit ;then have it sent up here to an FFL to legally transfere it to you.or drive home and get it,put it in a locked box,unloaded then drive back..

in NJ you must keep firearms secured when traveling, to and fro...cops dont play games here...familiarize yourself with the gun laws here......go to njsp.com

P.S welcome to a not so gun friendlystate....

oneofthepeople

imported post

There is no registration requirement in New Jersey. If your property is private, you may be well advised to keep it that way!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nj12ga wrote:
...and if the handgun is still back home you should also apply for a pistol purchase permit ;then have it sent up here to an FFL to legally transfere it to you.or
oneofthepeople wrote:
There is no registration requirement in New Jersey. If your property is private, you may be well advised to keep it that way!
Which one is it?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

nj12ga wrote:
you should apply for the firearms ID card(at the local PD)because you need it to buy pistol ammo in NJ..and if the handgun is still back home you should also apply for a pistol purchase permit ;then have it sent up here to an FFL to legally transfere it to you.or drive home and get it,put it in a locked box,unloaded then drive back..

in NJ you must keep firearms secured when traveling, to and fro...cops dont play games here...familiarize yourself with the gun laws here......go to njsp.com

P.S welcome to a not so gun friendlystate....
http://www.njsp.org/faq.html#firearms

oneofthepeople

imported post

From their website: "The New Jersey State Police is not authorized to provide legal advice to private parties."

Notice the term "private."

nj12ga

imported post

there is no mandatory registration; if a person buys a handgun in NJ;copies of the purchase permit aresent to the issuing authority and state police..so basically it becomes a matter of record... if you move here from out of state with a handgun; then noknows but you...either way you still need the FID to buy the ammo and in some cases a Gun Range may require the fid to use the facility..and if you get stopped by the police; itmight keep you from getting arrested andyou can prove that you are not disqualified from owning firearms in nj....better to be carefull than locked up...and they'll make it hard for you to get the gun back; if they take it.....NJ is not gun friendly at all.....buddy of mine had a similiar problem a few years ago...

didnt getit back.....they "made him voluntarily", surrender it..to avoid legal issues..

get my point?

oneofthepeople

imported post

Practically speaking, that sounds about right. And ammo can be bought in, say, Pennsylvania or Delaware with no problem.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

oneofthepeople wrote:
Practically speaking, that sounds about right. And ammo can be bought in, say, Pennsylvania or Delaware with no problem.
Are there any legal restrictions to bringing in ammo from other states?

nj12ga

imported post

can also buy it online... hollow point(probably) and tracer roundsare a nono

ammo must be kept seperate from a firearm when transporting

some guys use alocked tool box when traveling...

edit; hollow points are ok in jersey.....

c1ogden

imported post

Contrary to popular belief, there isno registration requirement in NJ (yet).

If you owned it when you moved here you are good to go as long as you aren't a "prohibited person" such as one with a criminal record and the gun isn't on the "assault weapons" list.

You will need a NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card to buy ammo or rifles and shotguns. You will need a NJ Handgun Purchase Permit to buy handguns. The FPIC is valid for life and you may buy any number of long guns with it. You will need a new HPP for each handgun you wish to buy.

Apply for the FPIC right away. Depending on what town you're in, it could take a year to get. Some towns and police departments are actively anti-gun and will deliberately put obstacles in your way or delay your application. One town near me requires you to personally deliver your application and only accepts them one day per week and only for a 2 hour period! A fellow officer from a nearby city tells me that he was told, at the beginning of the police academy, that he should apply for a HPP right away if he wanted to buy a gun for off duty or backup use because they take 6 months to get. That's for thier own officers! When I had this duty in my agency, these permits were routinely issuedin a week or so.

You may buy ammo anywhere and bring it into the state. NJ is one of the few states that require gun dealers to have a state license as well as a federal (FFL) license. NJ requires this license to sell ammo as well as guns, thus many low priced retail chains like K-Mart and Walmart can't sell ammo in thier NJ stores.

Sources: NJSA 2C:39, NJSA 2C:58, my 29 years as a NJ cop.

Jerseydevil52

imported post

when I Moved From The great State of Nevada, Open carriy State..to NJ the Crookedest State in the union.. I brought MY pistols with ME. I filed for FID, and was told I had to Voluntaryily Register My Pistols... Being Law abiding I followed the law.. I was told

That to properly transport the fire arms they should have been shipped from an FFL in Nevada to a Local FFl dealer and that would have been legal... since the federal law. the pistols were not legal for Me to have in NJ yet... I would Need the FID to pick them Up from FFL..

since then I have found out MY Volunteer Registration WAS not needed By law...:cuss:

and My FID took 8 months.. :banghead:not supposed to exceed 30 days by law

P.S. not sure BUT a Jersey City Police Officer friend of Mine told Me.. a Non Law Enforcement person can Get arrested and do time for Possecion of a Hollowpoint Projectile.. any one else have any other info on this I would Love to hear it thanks

The day they outlaw My Guns... I will become an Outlaw...

nj12ga

imported post

P.S. not sure BUT a Jersey City Police Officer friend of Mine told Me.. a Non Law Enforcement person can Get arrested and do time for Possecion of a Hollowpoint Projectile.. any one else have any other info on this I would Love to hear it thanks

if that were true; the shops wouldnt sell them to civilians...there is no law prohibiting purchase of h p's ....the exception is for practice & competetion(lawfull pupose)only.

now if the cops take an hp from a guy that shouldnt have one? well you see where i'm going .....

sandcast69

imported post

Well, you were lied to all the way around.
You didn't have to "voluntarily register" you guns.
Hollow point bullets are not illegal! you can purchase them, keep them in your home and use them in your SD firearm at home, and take them to the range to shoot with.
Where you'll run into trouble is if your just driving around with them in your vehicle for a week with no "NJ legal" purpose for them being there. Much like transporting
firearms in this pathetic state.
Your LEO friend may have simply been misinformed but either way he should have actually read the law before dispensing
inaccurate information.

Jerseydevil52 wrote:
when I Moved From The great State of Nevada, Open carriy State.. to NJ the Crookedest State in the union.. I brought MY pistols with ME. I filed for FID, and was told I had to Voluntaryily Register My Pistols... Being Law abiding I followed the law.. I was told

That to properly transport the fire arms they should have been shipped from an FFL in Nevada to a Local FFl dealer and that would have been legal... since the federal law. the pistols were not legal for Me to have in NJ yet... I would Need the FID to pick them Up from FFL..

since then I have found out MY Volunteer Registration WAS not needed By law...:cuss:

and My FID took 8 months.. :banghead:not supposed to exceed 30 days by law

The day they outlaw My Guns... I will become an Outlaw...

Jerseydevil52

imported post

There was a Reason I put the "quotes" around voluntary it was 17 years ago and being a Police Applicant for a BI State Agency. I followed what they said as to Not ruffle that Application.. and I know all about the Government and am Well versed about the Laws... I was advising that person as to What to Expect.. anything and all Lies to get your Info..... and for the HollowPpints JC has a City Ordinance against them in a Cop killer ammo Legislation...

knight1292

imported post

You are allowed to keep hollow point bullets at your home and transport them to and from the range. You are not allowed to have them in a carried gun unless you are law enforcement.