• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Negative Run in with a Cop

Valcore

imported post

So i had my first run into with a boulder cop while open carry. I was walking out of whole foods on pearl and a cop car stopped in the street to let me pass. He proceeded to roll down his window and as what department i was in. I informed him i was a civilian (veteran).

So he asks me if i have my Boulder carry permit and i informed him i have a Colorado CCW permit (followed by a really big sigh from the cop) and proceed to hand it to him. (i wasn't concealed and my pistol was plainly visible).

So he asked what line of work I'm in and why i carry I told him tech support and i carry for my protection. He looks at me like i'm crazy and i get another big sigh from him.

Then he tells me "that's a little much Darin you need to cover that up from now on"

Since i was on my lunch break and didn't feel like arguing i told him "ok thank you for the suggestion and covered my firearm"

So was i in the right to open carry here? Did this cop have a reason to harass me about it? I forgot to add that he had someone handcuffed in the back of his car. Did i handle this right as well?

CaveMan

imported post

You had every right to open carry and he was in the wrong. The problem is you handled it very badly from the beginning. You let an uneducated, no it all officer take away your rights for a brief moment. You were just another sheep and by you cowering down you just incouraged this officer to try this again.

STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS SON!

cscitney87

imported post

That proves everything we've been saying though about Where and Where you Cannot OC

You CAN OC everywhere except Denver City/County- He would have arrested you on the spot and never questioned your motives for carry- if OC was illegal in Boulder. According to this officer- he confirms that it is indeed legal to Open Carry and you will indeed NOT be arrested and NOT become a Test Case.

Officers do Not ask for things they can do themselves. "Then you don't mind if I look in your car?" They don't ask to search if they had RAS to begin with and could have legally searched the car from the get go. Same with searching your persons- they Ask if they have to.

He confronted you and Yes you did conceal it when requested- but you were never Demanded. A demand would be "PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD!" because you're being detained and arrested for openly carrying in Boulder.

So you're good to go. Carry on and Thanks a lot for the Motivation!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Valcore wrote:
So i had my first run into with a boulder cop while open carry. I was walking out of whole foods on pearl and a cop car stopped in the street to let me pass. He proceeded to roll down his window and as what department i was in. I informed him i was a civilian (veteran).

So he asks me if i have my Boulder carry permit and i informed him i have a Colorado CCW permit (followed by a really big sigh from the cop) and proceed to hand it to him. (i wasn't concealed and my pistol was plainly visible).

So he asked what line of work I'm in and why i carry I told him tech support and i carry for my protection. He looks at me like i'm crazy and i get another big sigh from him.

Then he tells me "that's a little much Darin you need to cover that up from now on"

Since i was on my lunch break and didn't feel like arguing i told him "ok thank you for the suggestion and covered my firearm"

So was i in the right to open carry here? Did this cop have a reason to harass me about it? ...

Seems to me that you should file a complaint. Even if you didn't get the officer's name you have a time, a place and other info that can help identify the officer.

Valcore

imported post

weaponize wrote:
You had every right to open carry and he was in the wrong. The problem is you handled it very badly from the beginning. You let an uneducated, no it all officer take away your rights for a brief moment. You were just another sheep and by you cowering down you just incouraged this officer to try this again.

What would you recommend should i have this experience again?

Valcore

imported post

weaponize wrote:

What would you recommend should i have this experience again?

cscitney87

imported post

He's basically saying- graciously turn down the request from the officer to conceal the pistol- You may or may not disengage eye contact and continue on your way.

Valcore

imported post

Don't get me wrong i'm fully aware of my rights in Colorado. I mostly wanted to leave (needed to get back to work) so i complied out of respect to the officers request and i fully intend to continue to open carry even though i have my concealed permit. If you think i should file a complaint and it would be worth while I will certainly do so.

Cracker

imported post

I dont allow LEO's to address me by my first name, I will correct them when they do, after all, I dont get to see their ID. I'm a wanger about it, I know, but if they hassle me, I give it right back to them... Back on topic, you should have OC'd and taken your ID back and gone about your day.

Pace

imported post

Eh, I think he handled it correctly, no reason to antagonize the officer. There's no complaint here, a police officer is allowed to ask question, and you are in your right not to answer them. We dont always have to "make points"

Not everything is a debate with everyone else.

That being said, is Boulder still enforcing their deadly weapons scheme?

Valcore wrote:

So was i in the right to open carry here? Did this cop have a reason to harass me about it? I forgot to add that he had someone handcuffed in the back of his car. Did i handle this right as well?

Superlite27

imported post

I think you handled it quite well considering it was your first negative experience.

It wasn't really that negative, either.

If you didn't get in a pissing contest or go away in handcuffs, it doesn't really count as negative.

As with anything that ANYONE ever does, there is always a first time. Unlike others here, I do not demand a mirror image of perfection to compare to my own version of what perfection looks like in order to berate and belittle you if you do not do exactly the things I say meet the guidelines of perfection.

The first time I ever encountered a cop was when I was standing in line at a gas station and a Pike County Sheriff walked in the door. Talk about a bundle of nerves. I knew without a shadow of a doubt (even though I was perfectly legal) that I was going to get cuffed and hauled off to jail. As he got into line behind me with a cup of coffee, I glanced over my shoulder and to my horror the sheriff's deputy said, "How are you doin'?"

So I said, "Fine."

And proceeded to pay for my gas and go home.

So, for your first encounter, I think you done good. Now that you've got your LEO "cherry" popped, you are more aware of how you react emotionally and intellectually. You may still choose to do what you have done in the future, or, you may wish to "up the ante" next time by refusing to comply with the officer's "wish" (not lawful order).

Remember: You are the individual in the encounter. Only YOU determine how you should handle it. Whatever you choose, that is the correct way....for you. If someone else volunteers to replace you in any specific encounter, then maybe they have the right to decide what is "correct" and "incorrect".

As far as my personal opinion, I agree with cscitney87: Maybe next time politely inform the officer that you are peacefully obeying the law and you choose to carry it openly for your own personal reasons. They are your rights. Just because a cop wants you to willingly forfiet them doesn't mean you should willingly comply.

Key word is "tactful".

Thundar

imported post

Valcore,

Perhaps you should remind the good officer that:

1) You are a veteran and you have fought to defend our freedoms

2) That because you have had to defend our freedoms they are something that you deeply cherish.

3) That you do not know why he wants to supress your rights, but that behavior is un-American and unacceptable.

4) That his attempt to supress the civil right to open carryunder color of law is something that he should reconsider.

Live Free or Die,

Thundar

And P.S. That as a public servent he should not assume familiarity with his employerby using your first name. It is rude and unprofessional.

Valcore

imported post

Well a little follow up. I spoke with the boulder city police supervisor and he apologies for the actions of his officer and informed me he would be speaking him and will inform him of the law. He did tell me "as you know sir you are well within the law and your rights to be able to open carry or concealed carry in the state of Colorado. I'm not sure what that officer was thinking and i will be talking with him to inform him of the law."

Pace

imported post

Amen! I have spoke to almost every local police department, they all have said the same in CO.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

I walked into Wendy's here in Castle Rock yesterday, my gun secured in my car as I did not want the hassle of putting on and then taking off the hoster when I got to work. There sitting at two tables were a fine group of 8 Douglas County Sheriffs, from Deputies, a Srgt, and someone that had more stripes then I knew exsisted. A couple of admin folks from the jail operations as well. Frankly I was glad my gun was in the car as i did not want my cherry popped. I still am walking cautiously, and am still respectful of business owners. Now if it was Starbucks, I probably would have put it on just to p.o. some of those Brady folks.....