• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Negative Run in with a Cop

CaveMan

imported post

Valcore wrote:
weaponize wrote:
You had every right to open carry and he was in the wrong. The problem is you handled it very badly from the beginning. You let an uneducated, no it all officer take away your rights for a brief moment. You were just another sheep and by you cowering down you just incouraged this officer to try this again.

STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS SON!
What would you recommend should i have this experience again?

There are several ways this could have been handled and I don't know which would be best. I'm just an avg joe like you. I do know that nothing positive came out of the way you allowed the officer to tell you what to do. Just giving some cunstructive criticism & another point of view.

Now that you have experianced some unconstitutional injustice I hope you can learn from this experiance and from everybody else's experiances and there advice so if another situation occurs you will be more confident in standing up for yours and our rights. I believe if you decide to carry a weapon and especially OC there is great responsibility and you must be prepared the best you can for all situations because you represent what we are fighting for.

PS I think you did a great job in calling the depts supervisor and stating your complaint.

mahkagari

imported post

"As far as my personal opinion, I agree with cscitney87: Maybe next time politely inform the officer that you are peacefully obeying the law and you choose to carry it openly for your own personal reasons. They are your rights. Just because a cop wants you to willingly forfiet them doesn't mean you should willingly comply."
This. You handled it very well. The only thing I would have done differently would not have CC'ed at his "suggestion". Thanking him for the suggestion was tactful and classy. But just one thing:

"BOULDER carry permit"??????? These people really do think they are their own sovereign state outside of reality, don't they?? I work in Boulder and my lodge is there as well, and I am daily glad I don't actually live there.

WELL done speaking to the supervisor. Won one for the rest of us sojourners into the Land that Reason Forgot!!

At our Firestone OC gathering the officer who visited us said in the same breath, "I don't know the carry rules very well but if you have a CCW then you HAVE to CC". Yeah, familiarize yourself first, THEN tell people that.

Beau

imported post

mahkagari wrote:

At our Firestone OC gathering the officer who visited us said in the same breath, "I don't know the carry rules very well but if you have a CCW then you HAVE to CC". Yeah, familiarize yourself first, THEN tell people that.
I don't get the bolded part. I have heard other people state that they have been told that. Over in Michigan an LE stopped the same guy multiple times for OC and each time told him that he was violating the terms of his ccw by OC'ing.

DocNTexas

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
That proves everything we've been saying though about Where and Where you Cannot OC

You CAN OC everywhere except Denver City/County- He would have arrested you on the spot and never questioned your motives for carry- if OC was illegal in Boulder. According to this officer- he confirms that it is indeed legal to Open Carry and you will indeed NOT be arrested and NOT become a Test Case.

Officers do Not ask for things they can do themselves. "Then you don't mind if I look in your car?" They don't ask to search if they had RAS to begin with and could have legally searched the car from the get go. Same with searching your persons- they Ask if they have to.

He confronted you and Yes you did conceal it when requested- but you were never Demanded. A demand would be "PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD!" because you're being detained and arrested for openly carrying in Boulder.

So you're good to go. Carry on and Thanks a lot for the Motivation!

cscitney87,

This is a very broad and dangerous assumption on your part, as it fails to take manypertinent points into consideration, most importantly,the existence of a local ordinance against Open Carry.

First, then City of Boulder does not have a clear "No Open Carry" ordinance as Denver and a few other Colorado cities do. Boulder has a vague ordinance that some have pointed to as effectively prohibiting OC, but this applicationis highly questionable. Boulder city ordinance 5-8-21 "Open Carriage of Firearms in Carrying Cases Required" state:

Any person carrying a firearm off of the person's property or outside of the person's business or vehicle shall carry the firearm in a carrying case. The carrying case must be recognizable as a gun carrying case by a reasonable person. A plain-shaped case must be clearly marked to be deemed recognizable under this standard. The carrying case must be openly carried and must not be concealed on or about the person. This section shall not apply to individuals who have a permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to state law.

The question raised by this ordinance has been; what constitutes a "case"? Many contend that a holster constitutes a case, thereby making open carry of aholsteredhandgunlegal. During my last trip to Boulder, I had the opportunity to talk speak withtwo Boulder police officers and I posed the question to them. Both officers agreed that a holster would meet the definition of a case, and as such, felt OC of a holstered handgun was legal in Boulder, but both discouraged thepractice, stating the likelihood of public alarm as the reason. At the same time, back when I was researching and compiling my catalog of local firearm ordinances across Colorado, I spoke to a Boulder officer by phone who informed me that open carry was illegal in Boulder, citing thesame statute andclaiming a holster did not constitute a case.

Personally, I feel a holster does constitute a case under 5-8-21, but as you can see, it is not clear.

A second point to consideris officer discretion. While some officers are as hard-nosed as you suggest, many are not and use their discretion in applying the law. In this case there is also thefact thatone section of theBoulder firearm chapter expresslydirectsofficers to consider the city'sability to meet their "burden of proof" and the affirmative defenses set forth under section 5-8-22 "Defenses" before making an arrest. This serves to encourage officers to be cautious inthe application offirearm related ordinances. In this case, the gentleman was cooperative, possessed a CCW permit and agreed to comply with his suggestions (legal or not), thus, the officer may have simply chosen not to press the issue.

Another important point to consider is that shortly after the Denver ruling was handed down, the City of Boulder added section 5-8-38 "State Preemption" in which they specifically list what they recognizeto be covered (i.e. preempted) by C.R.S. 18-12-105.6 (the Colorado preemption statute) and open carry is not included (only vehicle carry is recognized, as stated in the Denver ruling). This seems to clearly indicates Boulder's intention that a home rule municipality such as Boulder can prohibit open carry, however, since they did not include a clear and specific ordinance prohibiting OC, it would appear that they did not intend to prohibit the practice.

Currently, the only Colorado cities that I have found to haveclear ordinances against open carry areDenver,Golden, Telluride, and Vail. While the Denver and Golden ordinancesvery clearly prohibit all open carry, the Telluride and Vail ordinancesleave some room for question.

The Telluride ordinance provides an exemption for those who possess a valid CCW permit, which does not stipulate that it only exempts CCW. As written, it seems toexempt permit holders from the application of the ordinancein general, thus, OC appears to be legal in Telluride if you possess an valid CCW permit. While this might not be their intent, it is certainly how the ordinanceis worded.

As for Vail, their ordinance is somewhat vague, in that, it prohibitsopen carry on "public property", then specifically includes "publicparks" and "public buildings". While theordinances states "public property" and streets and sidewalks are typically considered public property, the ordinance does not clearly include these area and by specifically including parks and buildings, it leaves question as the the intent to include other areas commonly considered public property (i.e.streets and walkways).

As for Boulder, as pointed out above, the intended application of their weird "case" ordinance is still up in the air. Personally, I feel it would be hard for them to enforce this ordinance againstOCas long as the weapon was in an actualholster (i.e. not carried in the waistband or such). As a side note, I have open carried in Boulder on several occasions without incident (but never for extended periods in public areas).

In conclusion, the assumption that no city other than Denver can enforce a ban on OC based on the fact that Boulder did not or does notchooses todo so is absolutely wrong. The Denver ruling was based on the fact that there is no Colorado state law that expressly allows for a citizens right toopenly carry a handgun, thus, there is no state law to preempt any local ordinance against the practice. This decision, while specifically applied to theDenver case in the ruling, served to establishedstatewide case law for applyingthe preemptionstatute. Therefore,until such time that a state law is passed to expressly allow for open carry, any local government can pass and enforce an ordinance against it within their jurisdiction. Fortunately, few Colorado municipalities have chosen to do so.

Doc

DocNTexas

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
"BOULDER carry permit"??????? These people really do think they are their own sovereign state outside of reality, don't they??

Actually, until 2003 the City of Boulder issued firearms permits. Thgis ordinance (5-8-28) was repealed in 2003 after the passage of the states shall issue CCW law.

This makes me think the officer was an older officerwith Boulder and simply mis-spoke out of habit.

Doc

DocNTexas

imported post

Valcore,

I think you handled it all very well. I am glad to hear the supervisor confirmed that they do not consider the above mentioned law to prohibit open carry. The Boulder firearm ordinances could use some editing to bring them into clear and current language.

Doc

cscitney87

imported post

Doc, that's Just Not True

"In conclusion, the assumption that no city other than Denver can enforce a ban on OC based on the fact that Boulder did not or does notchooses todo so is absolutely wrong. "

I'm not going to site the ******* 100 threads started on the forum from the ******* 100 different members all siting laws and quotes from the Meyers decision and quoting other Sheriff's and blah blah blah

OC is legally everywhere except Denver City/County and if you WANT to NOT open carry- you don't have to.

Put it another way- You can limit yourself- but the rest of us will continue to open carry anywhere but Denver City/County and I'm sure we will have a great time doing so. Thanks for your input though.

Second thought- did want to source all those posts-

Again you are not saying anything that has not already been said. Nothing new to see here folks.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

What you continues to speak about is the above quoted Colorado constitution. Although local ordinances are listed on the linked website-these local ordinances and All other ordinances outside of Denver City/Counter must abide by these rules.

Since Boulder/Longmont/Etc Etc Etc would legally HAVE to post the sign at every public entrance to the city- this makes it impossible for any other municipality to ban open carry in any fashion.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/38445.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/38182.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/37647.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/36956.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/37329.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/35613.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/36679.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/33937.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/23366.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/33759.html

You tell me how many of our members were JAILED by law enforcement for OC anywhere but Denver City/County

Take that number and match against how many of our members openly carried through Colorado without a single problem

Point made.

cscitney87

imported post

DocNTexas wrote:
The Boulder firearm ordinances could use some editing to bring them into clear and current language.

Doc
Hey Doc, again:

Boulder ordinance can say anything it wants to say. It can be edited- clear- not clear- in Spanish or French.

THE CITY ORDINANCE MEANS NOTHING UNLESS SIGNS ARE POSTED

Again- The city ordinance cannot be enforced unless the jurisdiction of enforcement is posted off by signs at every public entrance.

Until people get the CRS through their thick skulls they will continue to argue about city ordinances that aren't enforceable unless posted by signage.

THE STATE SAYS THE CITY MUST POST THE SIGN- END OF DEBATE- Any city ordinance is simply NOT ENFORCED unless the designated area for enforcement has been posted. It's THAT EASY

Colorado State Legislature MAKE IT THIS WAY ON PURPOSE to avoid entrapment of open carriers.. So you can travel through the state, carrying, WITHOUT HAVING TO KNOW EVERY SINGLE CITY STATUE!!

Otherwise we would be screwed into having to literally learn every cities statues, every county sheriff's preferences, every ******* jurisdiction.. And that's just plain silly, wrong, uncomfortable, unimaginable, etc.

We are protected by the State's preemption in that a posted sign is required to enforce any law more restrictive than the State's

*Except Denver City/County!!!

cscitney87

imported post

It's okay though- no apology needed- I understand things can get confusing for most people. Get some coffee in you and come back to the discussion, Doc- you'll see our State's posted sign preemption is GOLDEN and has stood up to CASE LAW time and time and time and time and time and time and time again. Peddle your NO OC stuff somewhere else because Colorado is good to go. Anywhere but Denver, baby!

BY THE WAY Denver City/County is a joint jurisdiction- Because of their special joint jurisdiction ONLY Denver's laws are SOMEWHAT EQUAL to and NOT ABOVE the laws of the State as argued in the Meyer's decision when it was finally judged that although Denver's open carry laws are equal- they cannot supersede the Natural right to bear arms altogether- Or else Denver would have a DC or Chicago style ban out right on handguns.

Anyone that follows these "Is OC legal here..." threads knows I alone have been trying desperately to UNLOCK all the hidden BS floating around. It's obviously the OP could have been hauled off to jail and was not which proves, like I said originally, that OC is completely legal in Boulder as it is everywhere else except Denver. If you want to argue Longmont or Breck or whatever- just use my provided links and search through the threads for some closure.

Doc- please honestly take this information seriously- I've done the research for you. If you want to debate me and return with comments- please use legal sources, previous posts, or quotes to prove your point. Don't use hear-say and don't use "Maybes" or "could happens" because that's not our real world. When you are ready to post a proper, constructive response with sources- go for it. Until then lay off because we've proved OC legal everywhere but Denver (by simply OCing everywhere but Denver)..

DocNTexas

imported post

cs,

I am well aware of the wording of 29-11.7-104, but more importantly, I am aware of the application of the statute in light of the the Meyer decision, whicheffectively nullified both 29-11.7-103 and 29-11.7-104 for use as preempting statutes. While I agree that29-11.7-104 SHOULD[/b] have been sufficientfor showing the states intent to regulate the open carry of firearms, the Colorado Supreme Court did not and indicated such in their decision. In regard to open carry, Justice Meyer wrote:

“I conclude that the State's interest in allowing the general open carry of firearms is insubstantial and is far outweighed by Denver's local interest in regulating firearms more strictly in an urbanized area. Where the State's interest is insubstantial, a matter may be deemed one of exclusively local concern for purposes of home rule analysis”.[/i]

This finding means that the court does not consider 29-11.7-103 and 29-11.7-104 substantially significant in context to be used as a preempting state law over local ordinances. This means that it applies to ALL local municipalities equally, not just Denver.

Now, you may choose to believe that all the current local bans on OC are invalid, but I assure you, if you are caught open carrying in Golden, Telluride or Arvada (I just received the info from Arvada this morning, thereby adding it to the list of cities with a validOC ban), you WILL[/b] get the chance to discuss it before the local judge (and then we will have our basis for a second city test case). I have spent literally hundreds of hours researching and compiling local firearm ordinances across Colorado and visiting with the local authorities regarding their interpretation of their ordinances and I assure you, this is how these towns plan to enforce them. Likewise, I have discussed the issue of the Meyer decision with several attorneys and all have rendered the same opinion.

As for your argument about comparing the number of members arrested for OCing to the number that OC across the state, well, that really has little, if anything, to do with the point of this discussion. The point of this discussion is that IF[/b] a city has a statute against OC, then it is enforceable. The fact also exists that ONLY 5[/b] Colorado cities currently known to have and enforce laws against open carry (with three of the five being in the same basic geographical area...i.e. the Denver metro area), therefore most of the state is legal for OC, and as such, it stands to reason that few people will get arrested for violating such an ordinance when considering the wide practice of open carry elsewhere. The only places you will get into trouble is in one of these five areas, and only then if you are caught by a police officer. I might also point out that people tend not to OC in the cities surrounding Denver either, presumably due to uncertainty of the close proximity to Denver. So, that is a pointless argument. I too have carried openly all over Colorado without incident, but I also know not to do so in these 5 banned areas. I also make it a point to only OC in areas that I have confirmed to be legal.

Moving down to yourfollowing post, I am well aware of the joint city/county status of Denver and how it works and I assure you, there is no special authority afford Denverthat is not afforded any other city or county in Colorado. The City of Denver and Denver County are merely a joint managing government by mutual agreement and incorporation and do not gain any sort of special consideration, higher status or state equality of their ordinances as a result. Furthermore, Meyer did not make any such inferences in his decision. Meyers based ALL of his decisions on the simple fact that 29-11.7-103 and 29-11.7-104 were not sufficiently encompassing to show the states intent to regulate open carry, assault weapons and so forth and therefore could not be used to preempt local law.In short, the statemust have a statute expressly regulatingthese issues (as it does with CCW) in order to preemptANY local statute.

As for your claim that the state’s preemption law has prevailed time and time again, I can assure you, it has NOT prevailed a single time over a local OC law and if you think it has, I would challenge you to produce the facts of where and when, because to my knowledge, and theattorneys I have consulted, it simply does not exist. The fact is, the state preemption law merely provides that if a state law exists that regulates an issue, then it prevails over lower jurisdictions, and in the case of open carry, no such state law exist, except for 29-11.7-103 and 29-11.7-104, which the Colorado Supreme Courtruled was insufficient to usein preemptinglocal law. Therefore, local jurisdictions can enforce local OC bans and the five listed cities currently do so.

As for Boulder, I and many others have said time over that the referencedordinance is too vague to apply to OC and it was nice to hear that another local authority agrees. But the absence of a local ordinance in Boulder in no way “PROVES” that such a law is not enforceablein Boulderor anywhere else in the state. It simply means the City of Boulder has chosen not to do so.

Oh yes, as for thelinks you provided, well, none of them work…they come up “The webpage cannot be found”. But as for your challenge regarding Longmont and Breckenridge, well, Longmont does not have an OC statute and the Breckenridge statute states “OC prohibited where posted”. So again, not really germane to the discussion here, other than to show thatBreckenridge also hasan ordinance against OC, but chooses to require posting of banned areas similar 29-11.7-104.

And last of all, as for my relying on maybe’s, hear-say, could happens and so forth, I assure you, I do no such thing. I have spent hundreds of hourssearching and verifying my information, and where need be, I have confirmed it through legal counsel as well. So, before you take it upon yourself to berate my post and the information I have included, I suggest YOU find some legal counsel and check your facts. In the meantime, let me know when you want to walk around one of the 5 cities that currently have OC bans and I will gladly accompany you to video your encounter with the local authorities.

While I appreciate your desire to improve the carry laws and participate in these forums, I have to question your urging of others to carry in direct violation of standing laws. You may truly believe all the claims that you post, but rather than urging others to be the test case, I would suggest that you take the risk yourself.As with the Boulder statute, all my information said it was not valid for the purpose of banning OC, and I have chosen to OC there on several occasions, but I still offered the information received to the contrary for others to use in making their own decisions. In the case of Arvada, Golden and the others with clearly defined ordinances against OC, in light of the Meyer decision I will not challenge themuntil the State passes a clear preempting statute for OC, nor do I suggest you do. But if you just want to test your theory, as I said before, I will gladly carry the camera and document the encounter for you.

Doc

cscitney87

imported post

Yeah except.. You still haven't provided anything other than your opinion on the Meyer's decision and your opinion on what cities Would do to someone OCing against their ordinance.

The Town can prohibit OC only in accordance with CRS 29-11.7-104, i.e. at every public entrance on town property only.

cscitney87

imported post

And I'm sorry about although the preemption isn't "clear" to you: it's clear to me and many others here.

You see our government IS me and you. It's not Him or They or Those Guys.

Sorry but you'll just have to prove, by sighting sources, when and where all these people have been arrested and jailed for openly carrying pistols in Golden, Arvada, Boulder, or wherever else you think city statues trump the State preemption of requirement to post proper signage. Go ahead and do some More research- as you haven't done enough to site laws or cases- you just use Hear-Say to suggest that such case law has been demonstrated to criminally prosecute open carriers in said cities.

My sources? A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

cscitney87

imported post

Just to be fair I want to make sure people, Doc-you, know that I am Not "locked in" to any one position. I am not locked in. Please- feel free to prove me wrong and I will reconsider my rational and logic. The truth is- until you provide sources and specific case law in regards to these "oc ban" cities- you have nothing on me. If you can provide evidence proving me wrong- I will not hesitate to heed your warnings and trust that you are correct. Until then- the above mentioned Colorado Constitution and Colorado Revised Statues are all the evidence needed to support the belief that OC is certainly not an arrestable offense anywhere but Denver City/County.

cscitney87

imported post

I am also going to point out that our Original Poster has provided all I need on my end of the debate. Our Original Poster contacted the Boulder PD

"Well a little follow up. I spoke with the boulder city police supervisor and he apologies for the actions of his officer and informed me he would be speaking him and will inform him of the law. He did tell me "as you know sir you are well within the law and your rights to be able to open carry or concealed carry in the state of Colorado. I'm not sure what that officer was thinking and i will be talking with him to inform him of the law.""

It's confirmed, even from Boulder cops, that you are well within your right to Open Carry in the great State of Colorado.

*Except Denver City/County

Valcore

imported post

All,

So i have made some phone calls to different PD's (denver, golden, boulder, Douglas county). Each one of these has informed me that OC is legal in the state of CO everywhere but Denver County/City.

I have the numbers for each of these and their "gun expert" if you want i can certainly post names and contact numbers.

I have had a few recommend that i conceal if at all possible since it draws less attention but there is no reason i can't open carry unless a sign is posted.

cscitney87

imported post

Thanks. It takes work to show people the way but so be it. We are only here to educate our friends and family- we WANT you to All open carry as much as possible.

Sorry Doc if you feel like I am coming down on you or anyone else. I know that we are only trying to benefit the community with our knowledge and experiences.

So i have made some phone calls to different PD's (denver, golden, boulder, Douglas county). Each one of these has informed me that OC is legal in the state of CO everywhere but Denver County/City.

I have the numbers for each of these and their "gun expert" if you want i can certainly post names and contact numbers.

I have had a few recommend that i conceal if at all possible since it draws less attention but there is no reason i can't open carry unless a sign is posted.

That is a Direct First Person First Hand experience- We are taking the information second hand to backup the First Hand Direct Colorado Revised Statues. This is genuine information and please, friends, let it be done with.

As we've said a billion times. You can OC anywhere but Denver City/County unless posted by signage, etc, etc

Have fun OCing everyone. Original Poster- thank you for making those phone calls. It's really appreciated in the community. Personally we have all made calls on our own accord- with varying results. Police Officers, like you experience in Boulder, vary in temper, attitude, and knowledge of laws. I'm really glad everything has been resolved for you, Original Poster. Continue to OC like the rest of us- we thank you.

DocNTexas

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I am also going to point out that our Original Poster has provided all I need on my end of the debate. Our Original Poster contacted the Boulder PD

"Well a little follow up. I spoke with the boulder city police supervisor and he apologies for the actions of his officer and informed me he would be speaking him and will inform him of the law. He did tell me "as you know sir you are well within the law and your rights to be able to open carry or concealed carry in the state of Colorado. I'm not sure what that officer was thinking and i will be talking with him to inform him of the law.""

It's confirmed, even from Boulder cops, that you are well within your right to Open Carry in the great State of Colorado.

*Except Denver City/County
cs,
As for the Boulder issue, I am in total agreement and I am not sure why you keep bringing it up. I have repeatedly stated that I do not believe the cited Boulder lawpertains to OC; that the legal counsel I have discussed it with agree that it does not effectively prohibit OC; and, that of the three Boulder officers I have spoken (two in person and one by phone) two state OC is legal and only one said it was not. I also stated that I was glad to hear the results reported by the original poster Valcore. So, there is no question about the City of Boulder.

The difference of opinion is with the other cities who boast clear laws against OC, and whether they can legally do so. And according to the information I have received, and the legal authorities I have consulted, there is sufficient reason to believe that they can enforce these laws.

Valcore,

I find your phone results interesting, because I was told the exact opposite when I called the Golden PD and Arvada PD. Not that I think you are being dishonest, but it shows that two different calls can get two different answers.Another goodexample was my call to the Arvada PD this morning. My initial contact waswith a female dispatcher who told me OC was legal in Arvada, except in municipal buildings and private property that is posted against it, but when I enquired about the status of the pertinent ordinance (i.e. Arvada Municipal Code Sec. 21-38), I was put on hold for several minutes,thena male officer came on the line and he stated that Arvada did in fact have an ordinance against OC. So, while not surprising, we have conflicting information coming from the very law enforcement agencies responsible for enforcing the laws.

With such conflicting information being distributed, I am not willing to take a chance in areas where there is conflicting info, especially when I can find actual laws to the contrary. This is reinforced by the information provided to me by legal counsel.

As I have stated before, I would love to get a clear resolution to this issue, but until that time comes I will error on the side of caution. Personally, I do not want to be the test case, win or lose as either way it will be an expensive venture. I would rather see the legislature clarify the issue for us.

In the meantime, I will continue to compile information and work to clarify the statutes in hopes of gaining OC statewide (including Denver). Also, if anyone hears of or knows of a case being prosecuted in any of these 5 ban cities, please post the particulars. But my offer still stands to carry the video camera for anyone willing to push the issue (I would even be willing to contribute to the defense fund). :)

Doc

Valcore

imported post

Actually i dive through Golden on my commute to work. I can't remember ever being questioned about my open carry but tell you guys what i'll make it a point to carry open in Golden in front of a PO. If i get busted I'll post it.

How's this for taking one for the team...

Semper Fi

DocNTexas

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Thanks. It takes work to show people the way but so be it. We are only here to educate our friends and family- we WANT you to All open carry as much as possible.

Sorry Doc if you feel like I am coming down on you or anyone else. I know that we are only trying to benefit the community with our knowledge and experiences.

cs,

I too work for OC at every turn, both in Colorado andin Texas. I spend a considerable amount of time in Colorado and love the fact that OC is legal in most places. That is why I have spent so much time and money on the issue. While we disagree on certain parts of thelegal aspects, we agree on the ultimate goal.

I too am open to new information, that is why I continue to research and compile data on the issue. I am not offended by debate or sharing of thought or information, but being told my opinions and interpretations are based on BS, when most of it has been run past legal experts, does tend to irritate me a bit.

I have spentthe last35 years actively promoting the right to carry and I hold it very passionate, and I have no reason to mislead others about the facts, no matter where the issue takes place.

At this point we will simply have to agree to disagree on this one, but I hope it will be cleared up (for the positive) in the near future.

Doc